“room for improvement” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #80 of 206 Melaka B&B and Inns
Singapore
“room for improvement”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

There was no proper bed in the room. It consisted of a mattress, two dirty looking pillows and a big towel acting as a blanket. There were two face towels as well which of course we didn't use at all. With the room filled of mosquitoes and heavily scented mothballs (I think, as they smelled like mothballs to me) we tried our best to stay out as much as possible, only to return for a short night rest. Even so, it was a restless night as multiple mosquitoes bites were unavoidable. Nevertheless, common bathrooms and toilets were clean and staff were helpful. I requested for an extra blanket and we got it. However, I'm afraid we would not return, for the price paid, we could get a comfortable guest room elsewhere in Jonker Street.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Reddotz

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Indonesian first
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Very clean, which was a nice respite from the filth and not-so-pleasant aromas emanating from the river and streets of this historic town. Kawan Kawan is in a great location just a stroll to Jonker Street and many of the tourist places, and felt very safe. The rooms are very basic and I did have to knock on the door next to ours to ask the giggling girls staying there if they could keep it down a little once it was after midnight and my two teens were trying to get some sleep, which they did without a problem. The share toilets and showers weren't ideal, but they were kept very clean. I'm pretty certain someone went straight in to clean and wipe down as soon as any were used. A great choice if you are looking for budget accommodation.

I'd also like to say that the family that runs the convenience store on the corner next door were wonderful to us. My boy was running a slight fever and wasn't feeling very well and they were very helpful in making sure we had everything that we might need to make him as comfortable as possible and should we have needed a doctor, they were happy t let us know where we could best get access to one. On the morning that we left and had to make our way to Melaka Sentral bus terminal,I asked them about a taxi and they called one of their family friends to come take us in his registered taxi (we were charged less than what it had cost to travel the same trip from the bus terminal the night we first arrived). Really lovely people!

Room Tip: We were upstairs at the front overlooking the street. There was a little bit of noise from the amped...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Central located, nice walking distance to all the interesting streets in the old town of Melaka. The guest house is small but very clean and tidy, wooden floor. They only have few rooms, so try to book in advance. Rooms could be nicer with lamp lights instead of neon ones.
Treat yourself a nice dumplings meal at the New Kong Kee cafe, a very clean shop with best dumplings, on the side road of the Muslism Mosque in the old town.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Buri V
Bandar Baru Bangi, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

This was a really pleasant stay, everything was really clean. It's a charming place with really friendly people running the place.

The interior & decor reminded me of my childhood home, so it added to the cosiness of it all.

The walls are not exactly soundproof but I had a comfortable sleep, save from a dude drunk & puking in the sink downstairs (honestly I didn't hear it, slept like a dead log but my friends all heard it).

The only thing was having to climb downstairs for the toilet/bathroom. But I think they have a couple of rooms with bathrooms attached.

Clean facilities & worth the price. Would definitely consider coming back here.

• Stayed July 2012
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

Located in central Mellaca. It's near Jonhker Street. You can walk to Dutch Square. It's near four temple. You can enjoy Famosa Chicken Rice Ball. The facilities are very good. The room is small but never mind because it's very nice and clean, fully air conditioned, wifi. Two rooms have a private bathroom facilities. The staff is very friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Great location, clean clean clean, lovely staff, soooo helpful and warm, new beds , fabulous shower and affordable.
I was very welcomed and felt safe and cared for.
She went out of her way to please me and the other guests.
I would go back there, no doubt.

Room Tip: I stayed downstair and it was perfect. Everything new and near the toilet and showers. All good...G...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Thank Claudia de Nobr... d
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

My husband and I arrived in Melaka with a list of four Guest Houses we possibly wanted to stay at. At all four we were told, "Sorry we are full, it's the last weekend of the Chinese New Years Celebration." We tried 3 or 4 others, which were either more then we cared to pay, or had cleanliness issues. We were just about to give up when a friendly gentleman, waved us towards Kawan Kawan. We have been here for three days now! I can't believe they are not full!

Why should you stay here:
1. The family that runs it are sweet, friendly, helpful and always smiling... you want to adopt them!
2. The rooms are ridiculously clean. The beds are comfortable. There are rain maker shower heads in the bathrooms. Cold AC. Hot water!
3. It is relatively quiet. I say relatively because you will, most definitely, be awaken by "call to prayer" in the morning; it adds an exotic flavor, kinda neat! Otherwise it is quiet!
4. Great location. Walking distance to almost all the historical sites, museums, Jonker Street, etc. There is a great little store next door that sells waters and drinks. Also, Monkey's, around the corner, has self serve laundry machines.
5. Comfortable sitting areas at the top of the stairs and downstairs... Wifi is available in the rooms (my husband fixed their repeater so there would be!) but the sitting areas are comfortable for hanging out too!
6. Good price for what you get. We payed $90 RM (approx. $30 USD) for a double room. This is more then we budgeted but we have found Malaysia to be more expensive then everywhere else in SE Asia. Kawan Kawan is worth the money!

I can't think of any reasons not to stay here. To get here from Melaka Sentral take local bus #17 to the clock tower at town square ( it's by a big red Dutch building and a big church). Walk across the bridge, take an immediate right onto Hang Jebat. Walk one block and take a left on Tukang Emat. Kawan Kawan is about one block up on your right.

• Stayed February 2013