“Slow service. Poor breakfast.”
Review of QuaySide Hotel

QuaySide Hotel
Ranked #44 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
singapore
“Slow service. Poor breakfast.”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

They boast a "Trip Advisor" sticker at the door. But that's all there is to it. They are a new hotel and they need to do so much more to deserve a good review.

Pros:
1. Good location
2. Nice lamp on the table
3. Acceptable when room is clean.

Cons:
1. Breakfast is terrible, you feel like you are eating army camp food.
2. Service is slow. Messed up our booking.
3. Room was not ready when we checked in. Have to change to another room.
3. Extra charge for towels (never heard of this in all my travel experience)
4. Check-in and check-out very slow.
5. Insanely noisy because its just beside the road. Bring ear plugs.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed here for 3D2N. Location is spot on! walking distance to almost every attractions surrounding it, such as Jonker Street, Melaka christ Church, A Famosa, the malls (mahkota & pahlawan). So a perfect place to stay in terms of location.

Rooms are okay. Still new. Very comfortable bed. TV channels are very limited though. Shower room is acceptable.

The hotel cafe, Halia Inc, is a good place to dine. Was here for the Xmas eve dinner. Enjoyed the atmosphere which is just by the river and our buffet dinner there.

Overall the hotel is indeed a good choice to stay in when you're in Melaka. Just that I personally feel it's slightly overpriced for what you get. Perhaps this can be due to the location.

Room Tip: Try to get the room with balcony, as it faces the river and you might enjoy the sight. But it's...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rern86
Singapore
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Parked my car at the reserved lot & under the supervision of the security who promised to jagah (look after) my car (of course the promise came when I checked in & before I tipped them.... right now on 29 Dec around 12pm I found my car scratched & feedback to the security, guess his answer

"I don't know" & simply walked away!!!! When I tried to feedback 2 other staff, both of them directed me to the "I don't know & walked away guy"...

Whatever feel good abt this place is washed away by this TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE ATTITUDE..... it's through adversity that customer service surfaces... In my case, DEFINITELY BAD SERVICE!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank NotsoGoodMan

Travellers are raving about these Melaka hotels

Singapore
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Pros:
LOCATION: Simply amazing. Right next to the Stadthuys and overlooking the Melaka river. Walking distance to Jonker and other attractions.

PRICE: pretty decent for the location

ROOM: Clean/elegant, modern decor/hot water available all the time - tip: try to get the river facing room. The road facing ones I reckon will be more noisy.

AMBIENCE/DECOR of hotel: Excellent; tastefully done; very industrial/modern in shades of greys.

Cons:
CUSTOMER SERVICE: Very poor customer service from the reception. Too many examples to cite. They weren't rude - just untrained and no motivation to serve guests

NO LIFT: Not great for old people

FOOD: the Halia restaurant is pathetic. Small menu, mediocre food, and truly dismal service for a hefty price. Staff is clueless, uninterested and poorly trained. The restaurant was however elegantly designed and well put together but the disappointing service and average food offset the good interior and location.

NOISE: Quite noisy - noise from the river cruise boats till 11:30 pm on the river side, and traffic/trishaw blasting music noise if your room is road-facing.

Room Tip: Choose the river facing room and on the top floor. Avoid the ground floor on the river facing side a...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank globetraveller5861
Reviewed 22 December 2013

There are few flaws the hotel have like the service (but i can see the staff are trying their best to assist us in any way they could) and the sound proofing.

Overall, its a chic-designed hotel which is simple but nice. It is more suitable for couples who dont mind the absence of a full service and amnities.

Recommend the premium rooms which have good view of melaka river.

• Stayed December 2013
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

I am writing this feedback when im still staying in this hotel right now.
Good: Convenient to walk to jonker street.
Aircon is good(cold). Balcony overlooking the river(choose #02 for more privacy).
I was given a complimentary parking lot opp the hotel.
Con: I need to walk really light footed inorder not to disturb others.

I will consider staying here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

I just checked out yesterday.

1. Towel charge
They charged 10RM for 1 towel change! I needed new towel for my two kids 2nd shower, request towel change to the reception, they charge 20RM. I've never seen before like this case even budget guest house.

2. No lift
This is 2stories building, but no Lift, no porter. You should carry your heavy luggage by yourself if your room is 2nd floor. I have two old ladies and 2 kids under 5, should carry 4 luggages.

3. not helpful staff
Their staffs need to know what is the customer service.

4. Not comfortable shower
Hot water comes out just first 10 min, then be cooler.

Location & breakfast is excellent, but it could not cover other bad things.

Stayed December 2013
Quayside H, Owner at QuaySide Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Hi Yoona C,

Thanks for dropping us a note. You stated our location and breakfast was excellent (thankyou). We're pretty disappointed despite this you labelled us the 'worst hotel' with 1-star.

We've replied to your points one-by-one:

1. Most of our rooms are designed for two persons. As such, they have 2x hand towel, 2x face towel, 2x large towel and a bathroom mat. Upon request/availability, an extra bed is RM70 which includes an extra breakfast and extra towels.

In the case of small children (under 5 years), we do not charge extra for baby cot/baby bath, nor do we charge extra for their breakfasts. We're happy to give these for free.

However if extra towels are required, we do need to charge to cover our cleaning and laundry costs. Our staff do inform guests of this upon request.

2. We have a ground floor and a 1st floor which is accessible by stairs as you say. Our staff will be glad to assist you with luggage upon request.

3. If you could be more specific we could look at training in that particular area.

4. Many guests enjoy having access to hot shower. We're not aware of any problem with access to cold water; we will ask maintenance to double-check on this.

If you enjoyed your stay in Melaka and plan to visit us again, please drop our manager an email at hotelmanager@quayside.com.my. We'd love another chance to show you we deserve a better rating.

Cheers,