“Super old and tired looking”

Bayview Hotel Melaka
Ranked #57 of 168 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I've stayed at this hotel few times since the last 10 years. When i visited in November last year, it was not as i remembered it to be in its 4 stars glory. Now, everything about this hotel is super old and tired (except its lobby), and in dire need of a renovation/ refurbishment. Would not recommend especially with the still high price tag unless they renovated.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
BayviewMelaka, Public Relations Manager at Bayview Hotel Melaka, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Rest assured that refurbishment of rooms are being carried out on a floor by floor basis and we look forward to being of better service to you in future.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Service of the staff is good. Friendly and response is fast. Room is spacious and clean. The aircon of my room is not working well. I asked for change of room and it done within half an hour. Thank you. I will come back again for my next visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Douglas_lim

Thank you for your kind compliments. We are glad that your stay with us was a good one and look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Melaka.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I visited Malacca from 18 April to 20 April 2014, staying at The Bayview Hotel.
I was very disappointed with the services and amenities provided by this hotel :
• I received a confirmation from booking.com that the 2 nites stay at the Junior Suite of this hotel will be charged at MYR826.80 in total inclusive of tax and service charges. But the hotel charged me the amount of MYR908.80.
• I requested for an extra large double bed, but only a queen size bed was provided.
• I requested for extra bottles of drinking water, the hotel staff said only 2 bottles is complimentary per day. Any extra, I will have to pay for it.
• I was told on booking.com website that the internet wifi is available in all areas and is free of charge. Be Caution : only 1 device can be used for this free wifi. Any extra devices, you will have to pay for using wifi.
• The room’s facet and furnitures are very old. The bed was quirky. The reception on the television channels were bad too.
• We were given the Junior Suite on 10th floor. During the 2 nites stay, the sound of singing and screaming, from some where downstair, can be heard very clearly until the wee morning.
• Proper power socket was not provided for boiling of water. Got to put the kettle on the floor to use the power.
• Breakfast was provided. We were shocked to see ants crawling on the plate of sliced cheese and over burned hashbrown on the buffet table.
• The Reception Front Desk staff were very unfriendly.

Overall, this was a bad experience for me at this hotel, claiming that they are 4 stars hotel.

I do not recommend this hotel to anyone at all.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. We regret that your stay with us was not to expectation. We are pleased to advise that we have since improved the wifi access to allow more than 1 device for the password issued. Meanwhile, we thank you once again for your constructive comments and endeavour to improve the facilities and services in the areas concerned.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Hmmm.. very tough to review. I chose this hotel because of its location, right in front of a hospital that my mother was warded. I chose a Deluxe room which is more spacious (and obviously more expensive than the Standard/Superior Room). The pillows were too soft for my liking (but I stand neutral on this - somebody else might like it). But I can't sleep until 2am because of the noise coming from the doors that connected to the other room (all Deluxe Rooms are connecting rooms). Oh, one more to add, my bathroom door cannot be closed at all. So, in the next morning I asked to change to other room. They said that it is because of the wind at high floors - so they want to change me to another room also at level 14. I declined with a reason that since the reason is due to the wind, should it be all rooms at level 14 are noisy? So I downgraded to Standard/Superior room, and there started different stories. I wanted to call for a room service, but they just have a telephone without the cord! Thats fine, so I called using my mobile phone. The tv channels are poor. Don't count on it. The receptionists were average - but one of them quite rude.

The only positive thing I that have is the room service is quite quick, around 30 mins.

Overall, if you really want to stay at this hotel, you have must a very very good reason why you want this hotel, and I wish you luck.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms at Level 14 all have connecting rooms. It seemed that the connected doors produced nois...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank whymiq

Thank you for your feedback. We apologise for our shortcomings and will look into the areas concerned. Meanwhile, we look forward to the opportunity to be of better service to you.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

The hotel is in dire need of a refurbishing. No doubt the lobby looks promising, the rooms, elevator, furniture really need to be replaced/renovated. Old furniture may provide the atmosphere of a historical town, but pretty and functional furniture that are refurbished will become antique and are appreciated. And the hotel could've at least done something to the television programme receptions, which was hopeless.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback. We have since rectified the glitch in the TV reception. Rest assured that refurbishment of rooms are being carried out on a floor by floor basis and we look forward to being of better service to you in future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Location:
street outside hotel are quite safe to roam around
12min walk to Jonker St
limited eateries around
road outside hotel are terribly jam during peak hour

Room:
good sized for 2a & 2child
good water pressure
generally in need of refubrishing.
no free wifi (payable)
no safe in room
door latch are broken
door keycard are often disconnected ( always claim we place near magnetic device, which we didnt)
table are not clean
dusty & mouldly

Service:
Staff are generally polite & helpful

I wouldnt be back to this hotel for 1 main reason. SAFETY!
The reception counter have no view of the hotel door entrance.
Anybody can just walk in thru the main lobby or direct access thru the carpark to the rooms.
Especially when my door latch are broken, u dont sleep in peace.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
BayviewMelaka, Public Relations Manager at Bayview Hotel Melaka, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are in the midst of refurbishing our Superior Rooms. Wifi is also issued on a complimentary basis with room packages however charges may apply for additional wifi codes.

Rest assured that we value your feedback and suggestions and will look into the points mentioned.
Best regards
Francesca Lopez
Marketing Communications Manager

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed 1 night in a superior room as no other hotels available.
Lobby not so bad to start with.
Nightmare started when going into lift. It was from 1940's!
Then into the walkway - No aircond!
While trying to keep and open mind, open my room door there's this smell like visiting your unoccupied hometown house room. Door knob broken from inside.
Not enough lighting in bathroom. Shower in he dark. Nice!
Furnitures were old and stained.
TV reception was bad all channels (unclear Astro services without rain)
Old fashioned air conditioner which has sound of Malacca river cruise. Luckily manage to sleep off on the hard mattress and fluffy pillow (oh there is good point finally)

If the management seriously wants to keep the hotel in the radar please do something. I beg you. Till then my title stands.

Room Tip: I guess suites the only option. Superior and deluxe were dreadful
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback. Refurbishments of our Superior Rooms are currently being carried out on a floor by floor basis. We are also changing the lighting in the bathroom as suggested. Notwithstanding the above, we appreciate your constructive feedback and look forward to being of better service to you.