“Hotel with pluses and minuses”

Emperor Hotel Malacca
Ranked #102 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Hong Kong
“Hotel with pluses and minuses”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is another hotel where I would like to give the rating good; average is a bit mean, very good is too high. The hotel had lots of plus points and lots of minus points.

The first plus point was the staff who were very pleasant and friendly. This covers all the staff from the receptionists, to the doormen, to the cleaning staff, pool staff and restaurant staff. They all spoke good English, too.

We arrived at the hotel by taxi from Melaka Sentral bus station. It cost 15RM which I am sure is too much, but in my opinion if you are going to use a taxi, you are going to get ripped off and the important point is just to find out how much by. Later I discovered we could have taken a 17 bus which would have taken us to Dutch Square. However, it's a trek from there with luggage so taxi is the best option.

Check in was friendly and efficient. We were given a meal voucher for 28RM if we ate at their hotel and our breakfast voucher.

Our room was on the 16th floor and had beautiful sea views over Melaka. However, the room was a bit worn which normally would not bother me, but it was also not well cleaned. I opened a drawer to put our clothes inside and discovered it was full of rubbish left by the last guest. By rubbish I mean empty water cups and used coffees, teas and sugars. Why they put them there instead of in one of the two bins provided is anyone's guess. I should have complained I suppose, instead I just cleaned it out myself, but it was very off putting.

The room had a fridge, a kettle, 2 free cups of water, 2 coffees, 2 teas, 2 sugars, 2 creamers. The bed was actually very comfortable in my opinion. The only thing missing was a room safe but it is possible to leave valuables at reception.

The only toiletries provided was bright blue liquid soap. When I pressed the dispenser, it fell off the wall and covered the bathroom floor with soap. As my husband said, at least the room smelt better when I had finished cleaning all that up.

The next big plus was the swimming pool. It is very pretty, had good views and was bigger than it looks. It ranges in depth from 4ft to 6ft to 8ft. We really enjoyed swimming here. The only downside is it does not open till 11am and closes at 7pm.

There is no wifi in the room, but it was available free in reception which was fine as there were places to sit and use it down there and it worked well.

On the first night we ate at the hotel and thought the food was excellent and very cheap. We drank bottled Carlsberg with our meal. The serving staff were very nice.

Next big downside was the soundproofing which was very poor. The people in the room next to ours watched TV till 4 in the morning both nights and it was like having the TV on in our room. Very annoying. I had to put tissue in my ears to get to sleep.

Breakfast was fine. I like to eat the Asian choices and had noodles, nasi lemak and congee during the stay. Western selections were sausages, beans, bread, pancakes, french toast. There was also cereal, fruit and plenty of tea, coffee. I thought it was perfectly adequate.

The location of the hotel is OK. It's near some sights like Bukit China, St Peter's Church, the Sultan's Well. You can walk to the centre in around 10 to 15 minutes. There is a supermarket of sorts round the corner opposite the Ramada Plaza. Some shops on the main road sell snacks and drinks. Exiting the hotel, going left and crossing the road will take you to a bakery. Going left and staying on the same side as the hotel will take you to a garage that sells snacks and cold drinks but not alcohol. Opposite the hotel there is a food court and a Chinese Islamic steamboat restaurant.

One good thing about the hotel is it is a tall bright yellow building that you can see all over Melaka so it is very easy to find your way home.

Our room was cleaned properly for the second day of our stay.

We ordered a taxi back to the bus station for 20 RM when we were leaving and they had it there waiting for us when we left. Check out was quick, friendly and efficient. I would stay here again, but hope for better neighbours.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank irenemHongKong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Well, staff were really friendly although they do stair a bit- probably because im a white guy with long hair.. The room was nice, clean with a huge comfortable bed.. Good selection of TV channels . Bathroom was a bit tired, but clean.

I really wanted a swim after staying at a real budget hotel- but pool was closed on Tuesdays.. gutted

Breakfast- 5 choices in the buffet baked beans/ noodles/ wedged/ toast/ rice. Very basic...
The free satay voucher- good satay, don't order any of the fruit drinks- sugar content 50% over over sweet, expensive for malaysia and I Just could not drink it.

i'd stay there again, cheap hotel i'd recommend, just not on a Tuesday.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank OrderMatic
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 6 September 2013

because of malaysia holiday. most of the hotel already fully booked. 4 star hotel a bit over price, so try this emperor hotel because of reasonable price even during peak season. The hotel really not that bad, although the hotel is old. However the bed, air cond and water is ok. Compare to mahkota hotel. Mahkota is only the swimming pool is nice and the breakfast is ok. But the emperor the swimming pool only open at 11am (need to wait the life guard come), because of 11 feet dept swimming pool. Of course the swimming pool got 3feet, 6 feet and 11 feet. My package come with the F&B coupon, try the satay not nice. Opposite got the hawker center, so the chicken wings is good. Get the beer over there is also cheaper.

Because of holiday i make a call to thong sheng restaurant for make a reservation. Cheese Mee Hoo still the best. second day all the nyonya restaurant is full, even queue out side the shop. We have a lot of children, so we decided go to equatorial hotel. There is a famous nyonya restaurant, but some time always thing hotel is expensive. Actually the price is reasonable, of course it only slightly RM 50 more expensive for the whole bill. However the environment is totally different.

I already come to melaka many time, during the peak season the Jonker 88 Nyonya lakso always not tasty, so we skip it and try other shop. It really tasty compare to jonker 88. Actually one more thing need to mention , the chicken rice shop at jonker street really not tasty. Not sure why still so many queue there. It make them without quality control.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank limwc78
china
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Basically life at Malacca are average and simple. Only weekend are busier than weekday that quite dull and totally NO Taxi/Cab after 9pm on the road. Disco are the best so far at MIXX... but finished at 3am which too early. At the carpark area have LOK LOK mobile vehicle to had supper that charged according to the stick...

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view of the sun rise/set and more windy
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I been staying in Emperor Hotel on 29 Mar'13 , which is Singapore Good Fri. Due to last minute booking , therefore those famous hotel all fully book. Only manage to get this hotel.
Overall , this consider an old hotel. Therefore , the design , furniture , bathtub all consider old.
For my personal view , even though the hotel is old , but I feel that this hotel is not that worst. At least , my package of staying was inclusive buffer breakfast and the price is reasonable for mine point of view. Even breakfast not much choices , but overall still good.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank cychia82
Kajang, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Since it was last minute and almost all the hotels were booked(peak season) I had to go for this hotel..the lobby looked grand but whn i entered into the room,it was a disappointment. the lock was broken, the bathroom doesn't even have toothbrush and paste, the towels are not clean..
unfriendly staff! the only thing i wud appreaciate is the view from 16th floor... not here again!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank munishuthaya
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 December 2012

The place was dirty. The carpet smells. The floor is sticky. The food doesn't taste good. The room smells musky. The toilet isn't clean. The spa is hidden at some corner and is not the usual spa (you know what I mean). The locks are not user friendly. The beds are old and you can feel the springs in the mattress as if it's gonna spring up and stab you in the back. It's dim. It's dark. Not recommended. Period.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank faltasian

Travellers are raving about these Melaka hotels