“Excellent location, friendly staff, could do with some improvements”
Review of Heeren House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melaka
Heeren House
Ranked #32 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I couldn't ask for a better location for seeing around town, although sometimes it was a bit noisy being on the waterfront. The staff were always friendly, especially the male host and night guard - nice to be in a place small enough that everyone knows you, I always felt safe there as a solo female traveller. I was quite disappointed that no bottled water was provided in the room. which was slightly run down in respects, particularly the bathroom. The breakfast was a little on the light side, in fact I was almost not given a hot breakfast at all when I said I didn't eat eggs - it wasn't until others were offered the rest that I asked if I could have that. They booked the taxi for my departure, and as promised it was awaiting me at, in fact before, the agreed hour.

Room Tip: Most rooms have at least partial river views, full ones if requested.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank mummakook

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for two nights at the end of June. The location is excellent, close to Jonker St, right next to the river and historic area, and we enjoyed a simple breakfast. Owners were helpful, even offered to post postcards for us on our departure.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bev M
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The room was adequately comfortable with all necessary amenities. The owners are wonderful and so very helpful. I would definitely recommend this guesthouse if visiting Malacca.

Approaching the front entrance you may be persuaded to carry on walking along the street for more modern/inviting facia - we did. However these ended up being expensive and small compared to the view, price and hospitality that awaits anyone willing enter this house.

The view alone from the riverside rooms are fantastic and the location is excellent. There is no parking, but a large car park is only a couple hundred metres away with attendants who are friendly and keen to point out security cameras and the safest places to park.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the King bed.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wizzadora
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at Heeren House in early May and found it welcoming and relaxing. I was initially concerned after reading a previous review but was able to talk this through with Henry and found the room very clean.

The family room is light and spacious with excellent views of the river and the street. The downstairs cafe is tasteful and the home-made cakes are fabulous. It's a far cry from the huge, impersonal hotels nearby and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes simplicity and calm.

Staff were great with our kids who weren't always at their best in the heat! They were also helpful in arranging return taxi to KL.

It's centrally located and we were able to walk through Chinatown and to the nearby sites with ease. Saturday night was pretty noisy due to the nightlife of the town (not due to the hotel) and it's something to consider when travelling with kids if you're trying to go to bed early. Maybe better to get out there while it's cooler and enjoy the atmosphere!

Room Tip: The family room (#6) is great and a cot is available.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank 30paulac
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Having been in Melaka for 4 years undertaking my university education, Melaka is one of those place I am fond of.
It has been 3 whole years since my visit to Melaka. On my recent trip there, I have chosen to stay at Heeren House due to its proximity with Jonker street and major attractions (driving around can be tedious on weekends).

I feel compelled to drop a review after my stay for Marcia and Henry's hospitality during my stay. All my requests and queries were welcomely attended to and I have to say: such hospitality are hard to come by after travelling half the Asian countries.

I would have rated my stay as 3/5 but for reasons of location and hospitality, I had to give it a 5.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Leon G
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Having read the latest review from Cairns before I went to Heeren House .
2 lovely sleeps later,I felt I should put the record straight.
This is a great place !!. I have been twice in the last 9 months, first time with
the family ( 4 children aged 5 -15) last July and we all remembered it fondly.
I went back last week for 2 nights, as Marcia and Henry had looked after a
15 KG Chinese sighnboard I decided to buy when we were just about to bus
it with all the children to Mersing. For all that time, no complaints, just their
decency shining through. Oh, and they organised the bus tickets, paying for them
themselves before we had even arrived. They are too decent to reply to the Cairns rant, they cannot defend themselves, but those who feel they have been wrongly slighted, which of course affects their business.... perhaps think before writing such unpleasant stuff.... ?Bed bug bites often take days to come up, Taman Negara is often a culprit... do I know anything about rainforest, conditions ?
I work on a rainforest restoration project in Sumatra, so I know all about bugs and beasties.
Heeren house is a wonderful oasis if you have come from shiny KL or the Sumatran Jungle.
Embrace it and you wont be let down.....

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Commonsense39
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Well, the building is beautiful and right on the river. Excellent position for all the historic sites. The owners were very helpful and friendly, breakfasts were nice. BUT the bedbugs were horrible and a week later and I am still itching! Put a dampener on an otherwise lovely visit to Malacca. I told the owner and she said they clean the rooms etc but it needs a good pest control company in there to fumigate the place. Had to get anti histamines to take and cream for the itching. Then we had to buy sprays and make sure we did not bring any home with us! Took all our belongings to a laundry and cleaned all the luggage and then had to get the car cleaned. Not real happy and I would not stay there again. Cleanliness not real good. Our glasses in the bathroom had toothpaste residue on the bottom from previous guests. Our friends travelling with us had to ask for clean sheets the next morning as theirs were covered in black spots and something that looked like blood! Shame.

Room Tip: Don't go there!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends