All reviewsthe rivercooked breakfastchicken rendanggreat central locationspicy foodwithin easy walking distancehistoric townquaint hotelotakjonker streethard rock cafeheritage areashuttersfurniturewarehouseearplugscoz
Reviewed 7 December 2008

I know this place has the most fantastic reviews but I know I got bed bugs there the one night I stayed. It had to have been in that bed but the owners denied it.
I'm still scratching horribly with big red welts.
I told them and they said they would 'treat' the bed.
Beautiful location, no refrigerator in the room but they were happy to put my stuff in the downstairs refrig. Also horrible tv reception on the one local english language channel.
Lovely place Melaka. Nice to walk around.
I also walked to the Chinese cemetary. Very out of the way place but quite interesting.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 1 October 2008

we have just come back from a two night stay in Hereen House,firstly I will say it is in a great place, and I booked it after reading the great reviews! Maybe I was expecting too much? the owners Liz and Bernard were extremly friendly! the cafe was quaint,breakfast was ok(small portion) but our room was a let down! there were stains on the chair, sticky tape on cracked tiles in the bathroom, the sink was loose and the the grouting in the shower was moldy. and the mirrors where dirty!all these small things could have been fixed and although it did have rustic charm, to me it was spoilt by the condition! As soon as we entered my eyes hit the dirty chair cushion, I would not expect anyone to use it, I cant understand why the cafe is lovely and clean but the room was shoddy???
We did have a look at the hotel Puri and wished I had booked that hotel!! it is where we will stay if we go back , and I would recomend that hotel, it has a lovely court yard and is just a lovely building!!! front desk staff were friendly too!
I felt a little frustrated with the heeren, wanted to give our room a little T.L.C, make it better!!!
We enjoyed the Geographer bar for drinks and meals, the sky tower was great to get a good view of the port, the B2 bar (just near the Baba House Museam which was a must) was wonderful, it has a pool with doctor fish!! you can dip your feet while having a coffee or a lager! and its only 5 mr!!! what a bargin!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank snodwink
Reviewed 31 August 2008

Heeren House is a delightful guest house. It has just 6 rooms so is pretty booked up most of the time, especially at weekends. While far more expensive than other guest houses in the old quarter it is worth paying the extra. We stayed in a small twin room on the first night (149RM) and then moved to the family room (one double, two singles and a day bed – great value at 249RM) the following night. Both rooms were spotlessly clean and had river views. The breakfast is okay (although we are not fans of the Great British Fry Up!) and our daughter got a bowl of porridge specially made for her after she turned her nose up at the prospect of eggs. Bernard and Liz are good hosts – helpful, kind and friendly. It has obvioulsy none of the conveniences of a modern hotel but is a great little place for those looking for something a bit different.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2008

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in April ‘08. We had wanted to be in the historic part of town, rather than across the river in the modern section. The Heeren House (not to be confused with the Heeren Inn down the street) is just across the bridge from the old town square and sits right on the river in China Town. Everything is within easy walking distance, and most rooms have at least partial views of the river and the Dutch-era fort that is being reconstructed on the other side. For location, price, and atmosphere the Heeren House is a good bet.

Our room (#2) was on the second floor, and was fairly large with a shuttered window that looked onto the river. The room was very sparsely and simply furnished – a four-poster double bed that was comfortable, a small desk, side chair, and one night stand with a bed lamp. There was no closet or armoire – clothes could be hung on a pegboard near the bed. The room had a luggage stand that was large enough for just one suitcase. The bathroom was adequate but not special in any way. There was a tiled shower with grout that needed replacing, and a single sink with a small shelf about it. Room #4 down the hall looked a bit nicer, but had only a partial view of the river.

Breakfast was included in our price and was very good English breakfast – fresh fruit and juice, toast, eggs, sausage, beans & tomatoes, and potatoes.

As others have written, the owners of the Heeren House are very welcoming and helpful and certainly add to the charm of the place. Overall, we recommend the Heeren House, provided you’re not looking for luxury or lots of modern amenities.

Tips: We really enjoyed eating dinner at a restaurant just down the street (Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock) called Café 1511. In our month of traveling through Malaysia, this turned out to be one of the best Peranakan places we found. Try the top hats, the laksa, and the fish cakes. The Heritage Museum next door (actually part of the same house) is also well worth a visit.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NaMakani
Reviewed 28 June 2008

My husband and I recently spent four nights at Heeren House. Liz and Bernard are wonderful hosts and I cannot recommend this guesthouse enough. Just loved the quaintness. Ideally located. Great breakfast served. All staff warm and friendly. Asked Raj (the night watchman) to recommend a good Indian restaurant - sent us to the Restoran Selvam where we ate authentic food served on a banana leaf. A great experience, not to mention very tasty. Thanks Raj for the recommendation.

Look forward to a return visit some day. Thanks again Liz and Bernard.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple