All reviewsthe rivercooked breakfastchicken rendanggreat central locationspicy foodwithin easy walking distancehistoric townquaint hotelotakjonker streethard rock cafeheritage areashuttersfurniturewarehouseearplugscoz
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Over the years, we have traveled much of the world and stayed at many accommodations. Some are excellent and others are fine, but not all of them memorable. The Heeren House is not only etched in our memories, but provides satisfaction that we will savor. To begin with, it is run by thoughtful owners. The breakfast (included) is very good and lunch is excellent. They also serve tea and scones before 5PM. The rooms are not luxurious (somewhat spartan), but clean, comfortable, and have aircon. We love the place because it has a personality and allows us to feel connected to the history of the town. Our room did not have drapes, but the windows can be opened. There are shutters if you want to shut out the view and make the room dark. I took a bunch of photographs on our first night there just from the window in room 3 (see attached). The waterwheel in the river was reflected in the mirror-smooth water just outside our window. How can you not love a room with such a spectacular view? If you just want to be a tourist and desire lots of luxury, there are 5-star accommodations in Melaka. We enjoy that kind of decadent, mindless luxury once in while too. Mostly we love places with a lot of personality that contributes to the story of our journey. While you are in Melaka, don't miss the Cheng Ho Museum. Also while in that region of Malaysia, pay a visit to the Boh Tea Plantation in the Cameron Highlands. You will not regret the time and effort.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laelia9
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Very friendly hosts, great location and very nice rooms and building.
The only drawbacks were: Wifi not on late at night. When we came back at 9pm I had to ask the night watchman to turn on the computer so I could use the WIFI (I guess they're connected) so I could make some Skype calls on my iPhone for work. He wasn't too happy about this, and he turned it off at 1045 even though he said he'd leave it on until 11. I guess he was tired.

The other thing that isn't their fault, but is something to be aware of is this: Friday and Saturday and Sunday nights a band plays VERY LOUD MUSIC across the canal from the hotel. We had dinner there (very good and cheap Malay food BTW), and we were already thinking the singer wasn't too good, and they were playing kind of loud. We didn't realize that our room faced it directly (and we paid extra for river view). When we got back, we met another guest who had stayed Friday and Saturday (this was Sunday), and he said they played the last two nights until 11pm. In the morning he said he told the owner and she didn't believe him, so it may be relatively new, we thought. The nightman said the owners live far away, and the music had been going on for several months already. Sunday night the music ended about 10pm, which wasn't bad, since we got back about 930. Our friend had the non-river facing room, or maybe it was partial, but it was the best, because it faced away from the main river where people who look in if you had the windows open, and toward the sunset. I'd go for that room next time, and I wouldn't stay there on a Friday, Sat, Sun, unless you plan to be out late. I'm sure most of the Old Town hears this music on those nights, but this place, nice as it is, is right across from it.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2008

I chose the Heeren House because of it's good review in the Lonely Planet. There is no doubt that it is a quaint building in the best part of town. The owners run the shop and restaurant very efficiently but seem to have lost the plot once they get to the rooms.
There are no curtains only wooden shutters that do not cover the top third of the window. There are street lights outside that shine into the bedroom all night. Over my four night stay I had two rooms and the lavatory bowl had come away from the floor in both of them. The towels were an absolute DISGRACE, grey and foul. They were white once and should have been replaced long ago.
I objected to a notice on the back of the bedroom door that told me I should turn the aircon off when I left the room. I personally prefer to cool the room during the day and turn it off at night.
The final straw was very loud live pop music that was being played until 11.30pm on Fri/Sat/Sun night. The loudspeakers for this were just across the river and facing the hotel. Conversation, reading or sleep was impossible.
In my view the owners need to address these problems to justify the price they charge.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2008

I know this place has the most fantastic reviews but I know I got bed bugs there the one night I stayed. It had to have been in that bed but the owners denied it.
I'm still scratching horribly with big red welts.
I told them and they said they would 'treat' the bed.
Beautiful location, no refrigerator in the room but they were happy to put my stuff in the downstairs refrig. Also horrible tv reception on the one local english language channel.
Lovely place Melaka. Nice to walk around.
I also walked to the Chinese cemetary. Very out of the way place but quite interesting.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2008

we have just come back from a two night stay in Hereen House,firstly I will say it is in a great place, and I booked it after reading the great reviews! Maybe I was expecting too much? the owners Liz and Bernard were extremly friendly! the cafe was quaint,breakfast was ok(small portion) but our room was a let down! there were stains on the chair, sticky tape on cracked tiles in the bathroom, the sink was loose and the the grouting in the shower was moldy. and the mirrors where dirty!all these small things could have been fixed and although it did have rustic charm, to me it was spoilt by the condition! As soon as we entered my eyes hit the dirty chair cushion, I would not expect anyone to use it, I cant understand why the cafe is lovely and clean but the room was shoddy???
We did have a look at the hotel Puri and wished I had booked that hotel!! it is where we will stay if we go back , and I would recomend that hotel, it has a lovely court yard and is just a lovely building!!! front desk staff were friendly too!
I felt a little frustrated with the heeren, wanted to give our room a little T.L.C, make it better!!!
We enjoyed the Geographer bar for drinks and meals, the sky tower was great to get a good view of the port, the B2 bar (just near the Baba House Museam which was a must) was wonderful, it has a pool with doctor fish!! you can dip your feet while having a coffee or a lager! and its only 5 mr!!! what a bargin!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple