All reviews the river cooked breakfast chicken rendang great central location spicy food within easy walking distance historic town quaint hotel otak jonker street hard rock cafe heritage area shutters furniture warehouse earplugs coz
Reviewed 29 December 2008

Fantastic little place.
Good, clean and great breakfast and scones for tea. Good location for sightseeing or for dining.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank RafikiLondon
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Over the years, we have traveled much of the world and stayed at many accommodations. Some are excellent and others are fine, but not all of them memorable. The Heeren House is not only etched in our memories, but provides satisfaction that we will savor. To begin with, it is run by thoughtful owners. The breakfast (included) is very good and lunch is excellent. They also serve tea and scones before 5PM. The rooms are not luxurious (somewhat spartan), but clean, comfortable, and have aircon. We love the place because it has a personality and allows us to feel connected to the history of the town. Our room did not have drapes, but the windows can be opened. There are shutters if you want to shut out the view and make the room dark. I took a bunch of photographs on our first night there just from the window in room 3 (see attached). The waterwheel in the river was reflected in the mirror-smooth water just outside our window. How can you not love a room with such a spectacular view? If you just want to be a tourist and desire lots of luxury, there are 5-star accommodations in Melaka. We enjoy that kind of decadent, mindless luxury once in while too. Mostly we love places with a lot of personality that contributes to the story of our journey. While you are in Melaka, don't miss the Cheng Ho Museum. Also while in that region of Malaysia, pay a visit to the Boh Tea Plantation in the Cameron Highlands. You will not regret the time and effort.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laelia9
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Very friendly hosts, great location and very nice rooms and building.
The only drawbacks were: Wifi not on late at night. When we came back at 9pm I had to ask the night watchman to turn on the computer so I could use the WIFI (I guess they're connected) so I could make some Skype calls on my iPhone for work. He wasn't too happy about this, and he turned it off at 1045 even though he said he'd leave it on until 11. I guess he was tired.

The other thing that isn't their fault, but is something to be aware of is this: Friday and Saturday and Sunday nights a band plays VERY LOUD MUSIC across the canal from the hotel. We had dinner there (very good and cheap Malay food BTW), and we were already thinking the singer wasn't too good, and they were playing kind of loud. We didn't realize that our room faced it directly (and we paid extra for river view). When we got back, we met another guest who had stayed Friday and Saturday (this was Sunday), and he said they played the last two nights until 11pm. In the morning he said he told the owner and she didn't believe him, so it may be relatively new, we thought. The nightman said the owners live far away, and the music had been going on for several months already. Sunday night the music ended about 10pm, which wasn't bad, since we got back about 930. Our friend had the non-river facing room, or maybe it was partial, but it was the best, because it faced away from the main river where people who look in if you had the windows open, and toward the sunset. I'd go for that room next time, and I wouldn't stay there on a Friday, Sat, Sun, unless you plan to be out late. I'm sure most of the Old Town hears this music on those nights, but this place, nice as it is, is right across from it.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2008

I chose the Heeren House because of it's good review in the Lonely Planet. There is no doubt that it is a quaint building in the best part of town. The owners run the shop and restaurant very efficiently but seem to have lost the plot once they get to the rooms.
There are no curtains only wooden shutters that do not cover the top third of the window. There are street lights outside that shine into the bedroom all night. Over my four night stay I had two rooms and the lavatory bowl had come away from the floor in both of them. The towels were an absolute DISGRACE, grey and foul. They were white once and should have been replaced long ago.
I objected to a notice on the back of the bedroom door that told me I should turn the aircon off when I left the room. I personally prefer to cool the room during the day and turn it off at night.
The final straw was very loud live pop music that was being played until 11.30pm on Fri/Sat/Sun night. The loudspeakers for this were just across the river and facing the hotel. Conversation, reading or sleep was impossible.
In my view the owners need to address these problems to justify the price they charge.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2008

I know this place has the most fantastic reviews but I know I got bed bugs there the one night I stayed. It had to have been in that bed but the owners denied it.
I'm still scratching horribly with big red welts.
I told them and they said they would 'treat' the bed.
Beautiful location, no refrigerator in the room but they were happy to put my stuff in the downstairs refrig. Also horrible tv reception on the one local english language channel.
Lovely place Melaka. Nice to walk around.
I also walked to the Chinese cemetary. Very out of the way place but quite interesting.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo