“Very cozy and homely stay”

Home Sweet Home Hostel
Home Sweet Home Hostel
Ranked #86 of 137 Speciality Lodging in Melaka
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for awhile with my friend...loved this place...so cozy with the lounge and all aquariums around...

the rooms are your typical budget rooms in SEA..and better than most cuz ive travelled alot..so i dont see why people complaining here...

The owners are very friendly and helpful...they even get up to admit people in like in the middle of the night..there were occasions where ppl arrived like 3-4am to find a place to stay..dr Sunil and Michelle can help you with litetally everything u could ever need in Meleka..plus he is super talented with all his musical instruments..

and Osman is a funny fellow with many mysterious talents...haha..

one thing was cool that they keep the front doorgate locked at all times..which means this place is kept pretty safe...you get a key and are asked to keep it locked too..and there is a doorbell just in case...

There is a communal kitchen to use so you can cook your own food and fridges to keep ur stuff in...

Anyways..I really enjoyed my stay here and will def come back..

Cheers, Tan

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Home Sweet Home Hostel

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

After reading some reviews, I can certainly see how these negative experiences could happen. However, it seemed to me that, perhaps, the owners are responding to some of these issues. For example, I was given a gate key and locker key, and could come and go as I pleased; my room was clean and the owners seemed very concerned about keeping fresh sheets on the bed and cleaning the rooms. Not the most comfortable bed of all time, but it was sufficient. Despite a bit of confusion, owners were indispensable in getting a bus ticket for me, and explained every fee to me--why shouldn't they get a commission? They booked it for me, and the wife waited at the station for 4 hours for me, holding my ticket, which was tough to get right before Eid! The cons: it was just a bit too far away from things I wanted to see, and there wasn't much (aside from the exceptional Indonesian restaurant and a few other places) going on in that part of town, past the historic district and the shopping malls.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 29 July 2014

奉劝想要入住此民宿的人们,请务必三思……不要仅仅为了省旅费和便捷的地点而入住,真的会后悔的。
This would be a small advise for those people who plan to visit Melaka and doesn't want to bring back terrible experience with them: DON'T STAY IN THIS HOSTEL.
I was having a three days trip with my family and reserved this hostel for our lodging as it is really cheap and good location. Not going to mention why the owner asked us to come back at 15.00 for checking in since they wrote the check in time is 14:00 on the website, but after we checked in to the room, we found that the door was broken, the floor was dirty, there is only one bulb in the room and makes the room so dark, there is hair on the bed sheet, and the worst thing is: it was like having heater in the room. Can you imagine the room with heater while it is located in a 30°++ tropical country? We switch on the air conditioning immediately, hopefully we can get rid of the hot temperature in the room. But then we find out it is just for decoration after having it for one hour. My families and I were sweating like a pig even we have taken shower in cold water by staying at that room. Only the upper layer of the bunk bed which is 20cm away from the air-conditioning can feel the wind coming out from it. So we tried to switch on the fan as well, but it is still useless. We go to look at the only window in the room, it is covered with red curtain with holes and dirt, and cannot close tightly, that's why the heat is keep coming in from outside, plus the power from the extraordinary weak decoration use air-conditioning......it will definitely force you to take shower for every 15 minutes and then you will realize the best way to get rid from it is to stay on your car and never get down. Before we run away from the room, I did went down to the lobby to get some assist, it was around 16:00. I stayed there for roughly 40 minutes but no one there at all. I tried to call the number written there by the owner on the sake of assistant for three times, and no one pick up the phone even for one seconds. I was angry and thinking how can I pass the message for the owner that the room is too hot, so I wrote a note and clip it under the mouse on the reception table. After that, I went for dinner with my families and still thinking what should we do if it is still like this after we came back. After the discussion, we decided to moved out from the hostel to another. And actually it is not so hard, as there are lodging properties in every two steps, just we have to give up the money we have paid for that boiler room. We booked another room strait away after the decision made, and drove back to the boiler room for our luggage. And as we expected, the room is still hot even it is already 21:00 in the evening with four hours air conditioning on it, and it is clear to notice that the note I left has not been moved since I placed it there. Which means the owner has not come back for couple of hours since we have checked in. We took our luggage and never back to this room for staying. But since we still got the key on our hand with RM10 deposit on it, we backed to the hostel on the day we left Melaka. After we told the hotel owner what happened, the response from her is: "But on the day I bring you to the room, everything was okay right?" Come on, it is approximately zero mark when we get into the room and it drops to minus after the decoration use air-conditioning start working...and you call this is okay...haha..."What was the time you come find for me? As I always left the hostel and have my dinner during 17:30 to 18:00."...Come on, do you need me to buy you a clock or watch? You left for couple of hours without picking up phone and now you say you left for 30 minutes? Are you kidding me?
From the low room rate, I don't expect it will be a five stars service or how luxury it is, but at least I know, this is not the correct way on managing the business. I felt like I am cheated to come to this hostel and I am so regret to bring my families there, not only the money but also a very bad memory left in this trip. I am really disappointed in this hostel seriously. Also, can the owner change the hostel picture on the website please? As it doesn't look in that way at all. Thanks.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Nana S
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed for 5 days, and it was nice, clean, quiet, just as you would like it.

The hosts were cheerful, helpful, and made me feel at home. The area around was filled with restaurants, and there was a good selection of reference materials on the general area, and the surrounding countries. My host got me bus tickets, and had good ideas on where to go next.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank kevinberg53
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We made similar bad experiences as the other people, who gave a comment here. The owner approached us at the bus station, too and persuaded us to stay at his hostel. "Coincidentallyl" someone just cancelled his room reservation. So we had the room we wanted.
Our room wasn't clean at all. We found a used tooth brush under the bed, a used shaver in the bathroom, finger nails all over the floor and the floor hadn't obviously been properly cleaned for a long time - the completly opposite of the owner's announcement!
The main door was locked all day long. So every time we wanted to get in or out, we had to inform them. This was really annoying, as we often just wanted to get out for a short time. Often we had to look for them for a while, before we could get out. Really annoying!!! After a few days we found out that the owner and his family always switched off the air conditioning in our room, after we left. Sometimes we wanted to cool down in our room, but unfortunatly we couldn't switch on the air conditioning. We paid an extra charge for it, by the way!!!
The owner and his wife seemed to be very friendly and helpful at first, but we always had to realize that they just wanted to make money. For example, they brought us a bus ticket from the bus station, but without telling us, that we had to pay them an extra charge for it. We only found out later, when we had a closer look at the tickets. When we wanted to do our laundry one morning, the owner stopped us at the door and convinced us that his wife will do the laundry for a low price till the evening. As we were backpackers we washed almost all our clothes and towles- thinking we would get back our stuff in a few hours. When we wanted to get back our laundry in the evening, we were told, that it still needs a while. Each time we asked for the laundry, they had new storys, why the laundry wasn't ready. We got it back nearly 2 days later! Not funny with no towels and no fresh clothes!!!!!!
The price of the rooms are too high for what you get. Be careful with the owner and his family. They lie into your face and they are friendly, because they want to get money out of you!!!!!

We can't recommend this place!!!

PS: Be careful with the good comments here. I'm pretty sure that they were written from the owner himself.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 2globetrotter2013
Reviewed 29 September 2013

stay for one night, upon check in owner said our room reservation not available. but can give us other room which we need to top up with additional $$. No toilet paper in the toilet, light is too dim. Wake up in the morning with bite and itchyness all over the body. Owner very friendly, but beware of the boss. He is too friendly towards female guest and it feel very uncomfortable. overall, not satisfied with the room and the money we spend on it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rachel C
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

we've stayed there for 2 nights, bokked via agodo.com. after we had some troubles finding the place we were disappointed by the owner for the first time at the check in. our booking, which was paid by credit card was not valid and agoda should had sent me an email to inform me - not true, never got an email. however, "lucky us" he got another room for us, because he gave away our actual booked room to someone else: incl a/c but we had to pay 25 rm additionally, no big deal for us but a bit strange.
the room actuall had no window, just the bathroom did. the room was badly sound-proofed, size was small but ok, it could have been cleaner. the owner himself is somewhere in between very friendly and helpful and son of a gun. you can do defenitely better!

• Stayed: August 2013