“Value for money”

Ranked #15 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Medan, Indonesia
“Value for money”
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Nice and clean room. Will be better if all the rooms have windows. Bathroom is great. The jockey who managed the parking bay was so well-mannered and excellent. Highly recommended for its value for money. Thumbs up to Fenix Inn. Keep up the good works !!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Due to spending most of my budget on the more expensive hotels for most of my trip, I had to budget this time.... I tried to rely on my Lonely Planet and went to check a couple of their recommended places upon arrival to Melaka. Oh, well, those places looked horrible - dirty, noisy and unpleasant.

While looking for the other places, I decided to check Fenix Inn (which, by reading LP, seemed like a lesser option) and it looked sooooooo much better..... The rate I paid was 98MR for the night for a 2nd floor room with a window, good shower, tea/coffee making facilities, 2 beds, tv, etc. I thought that was very good. They also ask for a deposit (I think it was 15MR???) which is refunded upon checking out.

The room was small, with no real view (except the facing building), but was cleaner than some more expensive places I stayed in (well, I still use the anti-bacterial wipes and wash the cups/glasses before use anyway.....).

The mattress and pillow were not the best, but I chose the better bed (well, I had two...). There were some stains in the bedding but it seemed washed, just old (I stayed at the Nikko in KL, which is much more expensive, and the bedding there was much more stained and did not look washed....). There were no bed bugs but I had a couple of mosquitoes, I was well prepared, though, with some repellent and spray.....

The shower was trully excellent – very hot and no problems with water flow. They have a liquid soap dispenser in the shower which some previous reviews did not favour but I actually found much better than the hand bar soap provided in most hotels (which is less hygienic). Also, I usually end up taking few showers a day due to the humidity and the long walks I do, and I find that the shower jell provided in other hotels runs out after a shower or two.... so, the soap dispenser in the Fenix Inn has its advantages!

The walls are on the thin side and the guy next door kept on slamming his door all night, but I found that you can hear doors closing even in much more expensive hotels, unfortunately, even in those they seem to have poor insulation.

They provide free internet access in the room, which I did not expect and, since I left my notebook in KL, cannot comment on.

I think that I was the only non Asian guest at the time, but that was no problem at all.

Staff – ok, they are not overly friendly, but they unpretentious and helpful enough - they even let me choose between a couple of rooms, which was nice. No complains here.

The location is excellent, close to everything, and very close to the bus station (bus 17 which goes to Melaka Sentral and to some interesting areas).

Overall, it is a well located, nice place - definitely not a fancy hotel and not a romantic getaway, but, for the price paid (about AUD$35 at the time), it is quite good and much cleaner than many other (more expensive) places.
Well done, Fenix Inn!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Singapore
Reviewed 21 June 2009

I have spent a weekend in Fenix Inn and found it to be a delightful budget hotel. It is centrally located next to the shopping mall and tourist attractions. There are many restaurants and shops in the surrounding area as well. The room is basic (normal for budget hotel) but it is clean. For USD 38 per night, there is nothing more to ask for.

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Springleaf
jb
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Good location which is nearby Melaka Megamall and Mahkota Parade. I really like the location and the car park place. If you drive there it is really easy for u as the bellboy will drive your car n park for u. You car is only below the rooms. Price for the room is very reasonable. But too bad the front office girl is very bad in service.

No smile on face when we walk in to ask about room rate. Keep playing sms when we trying to get more information for the price and room information. After we checked in, i ask for newspaper, she say "no", i ask for free mineral water, she also say "no". But i did saw just now a couple get 2 bottle of free mineral water from her when check in.

Late thing is the bed and pillow is abit old or kind of flat and hard for bed.

Overall good for 1 to 2 night stay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank dashisiong
liangyk, Operation Manager at Fenix Inn, responded to this review, 18 June 2009
Hi dashisiong,

Thank you for your feedback at tripadvisor.com dated 28 May 2009. Let me introduce myself, I am LiangYK, Operation manager of Fenix Inn. In order to improve our services, we take your feedback seriously.
I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused by our staff and your uncomfortable stay at our hotel.
Could I request your particulars as well as check in date for internal investigation purposes?
We hope to better serve you in the future. Thank you for staying in Fenix Inn.

Yeekang Liang
Malaysia
Reviewed 22 February 2009

1) Good location- near city, shopping malls, food outlets and historical sites~max 10 min walk
2) Nice rooms- small and cozy with adequate facilities. Clean, good upkeep