“Nice Hotel in a fantastic Town”
Review of Holiday Inn Melaka

Holiday Inn Melaka
Ranked #9 of 168 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 8 November 2009

I really enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn, but mainly I was impressed by Melaka. This little quirky town has got so many things to offer!!! The city center is simply amazing! Has been recently nominated a UNESCO World Heritage Site and it totally deserve it.
The hotel it self is next to the beach, it has swimming pool and a good fitness centre!
I totally recommend this!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 November 2009

We spent a night here back in April this year, and it's nice to see that that stay wasn't a one off. This is a very good hotel to stay at and we have no hesitation in recommending it to other travellers, in fact, we've already advised some relatives who will be staying there later this year. One guide to the quality of a hotel is the service given during a check in or out outside "normal" hours. Ours was a check out at 4:45 A.M. so as to make a flight, and the staff were bright and cheerful which made the experience that much easier to bear. Thanks to all.
My only suggestion would be to have a dedicated area for "regular" guests who don't have access to the Business Centre, to have Internet access for checking of e-mails etc.(similar to H.I. Express Hong Kong).

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2009

This is my 2nd trip to the same hotel. The first time I booked the deluxe room and the second round, I was upgraded to Executive Club for additional RM 80++. I got the SMS from the hotel about the upgrade a day before my arrival. Neat.

During my first time visit, the check in guy was not so friendly and I had to carry my own luggage.

During this time around, Check in was fast and friendly. Bell boy arranged the luggage to be delivered to the room.

Parking might be a bit hassle at night since they might charge RM 5. I was allowed in with no problem.

Room
----------
I just love the King sized bed. 2 pillows are label soft, so I assume the other is firm. Mattress is really nice. Bed sheet is white and clean. LCD TV, air-con is working order, complimentary broadband and it's really fast.

Upon arrival, our minibar was not stocked up. They stocked up after a while. We were given fruits, however it's disappointing that the fruits were rotten.

Bathroom
--------------
Very clean and nice. I had a problem with the toilet (fix myself) and the hot shower was not consistent. My wife claims she had no problem. They provided all the amenities such as environmentally friendly shower gel, shampoo and etc.

Breakfast
--------------
If you are staying at the Executive Club level, you can have your breakfast at the Executive Lounge. I was told however they serve continental breakfast and I didn't try it. Went to Es.Sense Kitchen. Spread was OK, the usual eggs, bread, muffins, nasi lemak, cake, drinks and etc. Waiters was friendly. They used to have the "morning/wake up shots" but on this visit, it was no longer available. I loved that drink.

-------------
My first visit my wife was pregnant about 7 months and on this visit, our baby girl joined us this time around. They provide baby coat to the room together with the mattress and bolster. Coat was in a good condition. Kudos.

Their service is usually really fast and quite impressed with their speed of work. The bell boy took our luggage all the way down to the car park and personally place them in my car bonnet. Tx Xavier!

Pool & Fitness Centre
------------------------------
Nice and clean. Can't remember the depth though, but it's not that deep. Fitness centre is equipped with treadmill and the basic gym equipment.

Value for money?
------------------------
This hotel is not cheap. I paid over RM 400++ for the room. To choose between Executive Club or Deluxe? It really depends on individual. If you are there for pleasure, go with deluxe. If you need the privacy for discussion or meetings, private check out, cocktail and complimentary broadband, they you should try the Executive Club rooms. Room size is just about the same, you pay for the extras.

They have improved a lot since my last visit, there is someone on the lobby floor to assist you always.

Unless there is a better hotel in Melaka, I will return back to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2009

We wanted to find a hotel not too expensive in the heart of the city but I guess we booked our hotel a few days before so I was glad to hear that the Holiday Inn had a room for us.

On arrival, the hotel looks new, and clean, it's actually the latest hotel in Melaka (about 2 years old). We were given key cards to access our room and surprise... we couldn't get in, you know that little green light that means you can come in? well I saw a red light, and a red light again and to be honest I got frustrated. Anyway I decided to go down (lift is so slow) and talked to the nice people from the front desk office and told me someone will come and check, well that person would not turn up for another 15 minutes so you can imagine how frustrated I was, my younger kids waiting by the door... in the end they finally managed to open the door and apologized about the inconvenience. Next day in the breakfast club lounge I was greeted by a guy who happens to be the front office manager and asked us if we were enjoying our stay. I did tell him about our experience the previous day and in return provided us with a free upgrade to a better room with a sea view and a bath tub! Also they arranged to take us to a restaurant (own Holiday Inn van) free of charge.

On a more positive note, the "Executive Club" lounge which I have to say was the best part of this hotel, you pay that little extra but you get to access a private area with a selection of food. The best part is the cocktail time, every day from 6 PM until 8 PM, guests can go to the club lounge to enjoy a drink and some appetizers, pretty neat I think.

Swimming pool is ok but not very deep.

That's all for now.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank benpit
Reviewed 3 November 2009

I stayed here for a weekend with my partner and found it comfortable. One problem was that we booked with breakfast included yet when we booked in they said it would not be included.
It is also located on a major highway into the city with no walkway or pedestrian crossing, people in Melaka are crazy drivers so if you are elderly or with young children i would not recommend staying here as my partner and i had difficulty dodging the traffic!
Its not really a great hotel just a standard Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Was in Melaka for work, and put up a night here. Balked a little at the price - but apparently hotel rates in Melaka have increased tremendously since its listing as a UN World Heritage Site. Check-in was efficient. Bellboy was helpful. Even the hotel manager gave a call to the room to check if I found the room okay. Impressive.

They provided 2 sets of pillows labelled "firm" and "soft". Nice beds. Room was modern and clean. The shower pressure was excellent. Loved the bathroom. New LCD TV with cable, spacious working desk with comfortable chair, hairdryer, ironing board and iron, bedroom slippers, bathrobes, complimentary bottled water, clean kettle - all the amenities you'll need.

There was a pretty good selection at breakfast. The infinity pool overlooking the straits was serene. Didn't have time to try the spa nor the gym. Apparently the rooms overlooking the straits have excellent views. Mine overlooked the city.

The location is not as good as Equatorial Hotel, which is just next to the main shopping complex of Dataran Pahlawan. However, I had a car, so it was fine. I have to admit that Holiday Inn definitely looked like a better hotel than the next door Century Mahkota Hotel whose lobby was constantly thronging with busloads of tourists.

I was impressed with the attentive and smiling staff. Love the new Holiday Inn re-branding exercise. I had one gripe, and that was there was no free wi-fi or internet access. For a business traveler, that is important.

However, I do hope they keep up the good work and I will definitely be staying there the next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2009

Stayed just for one night but that was enough. Rooms themselves OK but no bath tub only shower but fine for overnight stay. Main problem was the service or rather lack of it. Arrived with large suitcase and not one staff came to assist. Was only when my Malaysian colleague went in to ask for assistance did a bellboy finally come to help.
Breakfast the following day was a nightmare as there was a party of Singapore school children staying who completely took up all the tables. I have nothing against parties of schoolchildren or whatever but I feel that provision should be made for them to be seated as a group. In the event I gave up and took breakfast outside.
Checking out was also painfully slow and yet again no-one bothered to ask if I needed assistance with luggage.
If you are going to Melaka, I would not recommend staying here, perhaps the Ecuatorial is better as it is in the centre and could not be worse than this!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business