“No southern hospitality here!”

Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
“No southern hospitality here!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I paid $20 (inclusive of the tip) for the breakfast buffet at the hotel's restaurant. Eggs and gravy were cold, bacon was tasteless. Biscuits were good. Since the eggs on the buffet were cold, I asked for scrambled eggs at the omelet station. The oil they were scrambled in was rancid. There was no help getting my bags in when I checked in and no help getting my bags out when I checked out. I couldn't sign on to the hotels internet, the concierge couldn't help so he had me call their tech support, come to find out, their log in system doesn't work with Chrome, Which is fine, but why not put that on the sign in page? If this was an el cheapo dive motel, these would not be issues, but this isn't an el cheapo dive motel, it is a property with high prices. But I think if they are going to be proud of their prices, they should be equally proud of their services, and I detected no such pride during my stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Philip K, Rooms Division Manager at Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you for taking time to respond on your recent visit with the Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel. I am disappointed to hear that the hotel did not meet or exceed your expectations while you were a guest of ours. The challenges you faced with our breakfast, internet and valet will be sent to the appropriate department heads so we can follow up on our shortfalls and take the appropriate action to insure that this gets corrected. Our team takes great pride in delivering impeccable customer service. At times we do fall short of our own high standards and it sounds like this was the case while you were a guest of ours. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay in more detail. I can be reached at 251.415.3068. Again thanks for your time and feedback. You comments will be used to make our operation more successful.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is one of our favorite places to stop between Florida and Texas. They had completed their construction this time and the lobby was lovely. Staff was wonderful. We loved our clean, comfy room. We will be back to such a consistently good place. The price was attractive as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Philip K, Rooms Division Manager at Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Thank you for taking time to respond on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your most recent visit with us. Our team looks forward to having you back as our guest in the very near future.
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I recently spent a weekend at this Renaissance Hotel. Having stayed in a few others before, I pretty much knew what to expect, but this hotel was nice even by Renaissance standards.

The valet that greeted us was a pleasant and efficient young woman. She greeted us in a friendly manner, explained the cost of valet versus self park, and when I opted for valet, she sprang into action. Within moments, a bellman was there with a cart to help with luggage, our car was tagged and ready to be taken away, and we were on our way to register.

A very nice man named Alex greeted us at the front desk. He was incredibly friendly and helpful. Alex was a native of Germany, and as my son who was traveling with me speaks German, he and Alex had a nice conversation. We were then taken to a very nice room with a wonderful view on the 17th floor. The elevators were swift, and I appreciated the security measure of having to insert your room card into a slot in the elevator before pushing the button for your floor. The bellman, a young man about 21 years of age, could not have been more pleasant.

Our room was close to the elevator, which is usually something I avoid, but this room was quiet. While not huge, the room layout was efficient, with two beds, desk and chair, extra lighting, refrigerator and sizable closet. The bathrooms were roomy and well lit and came with Aveda bath and body products. Extra towels and a bathrobe were requested and quickly appeared. There were plenty of electrical outlets for charging electronics, and floor to ceiling windows allowed lots of natural light into the room.

The beds were quite comfortable. The pillows were plentiful and I appreciated that they were of different firmness types. The thermostat in the room was easy to operate and modern, which made it easy to keep the room comfortable. An iron and ironing board came in very handy.

We had room service for breakfast one morning and the food and service were both terrific. The eggs Benedict were perfectly cooked, and arrived as requested, poached firm with extra Hollandaise. The breakfast potatoes, usually something I skip, were delicious. The fresh berries, toast, fresh-squeezed orange juice and tea were all good, and the price was actually surprisingly reasonable!

We didn't eat any other meals in the hotel because we had other plans with our friends, but the menus I saw looked full of delicious dishes with a wide variety. Every time I retrieved my car from the valet, the service was swift and friendly. And though I tipped each time, I never felt as though the staff was waiting around for it. Once when I was returning to the hotel, the valet line was long. Since I already had been checked in and was in a hurry, I pulled my car to the side and ran my keys to the valet. I asked if I could go ahead and go in and they were just fine with it, no problem at all. Even though they were very busy at the valet, they didn't appear ruffled or rushed, and were treating everyone with courtesy.

There was only one thing that marred an otherwise nearly-perfect stay. We are nearly 100% sure we left my son's Kindle in the room. A few hours later we called to inquire about it, hoping that housekeeping had turned it in. To my disappointment, the Kindle never showed up. Because of when we noticed it missing and where we were in our travels, we almost certainly left it in our room. Unfortunately if it was found, the person that found it opted to keep it.

Missing Kindle aside, our stay at the Renaissance Mobile Riverview was a lovely one. The hotel is in an excellent location, close to restaurants and entertaining as well as easy to reach by highway. Parking, either self or valet, is plentiful. The rooms were clean, quiet, and comfortable, with lovely bathrooms. The staff were pleasant and helpful, all making the stay very enjoyable.

There is certainly something to be said for Southern hospitality, grace and manners. This hotel combines all three with good service on a nice property with wonderful results!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lovesthebeach1989
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit with us. It is great to hear about all of the positives from your stay. Your kind words will certainly be shared with our staff. In regards to your Kindle, I am not sure if you have located it since your posting, but if not please feel free to contact me at 251.415.3068. I want to make sure a report has been taken by our Loss Prevention department with your correct information. We hope to see you back in the future should your travels bring you back to our area.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We were in Mobile for for New year's and this is the second year we have stayed at this property. We hade a blast. The staff was fantastic room 2120 was perfect for us. Looking forward to next year. And the breakfast was outstanding.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had a great time New Years Eve. It is always great to hear from our repeat guests. Hopefully you can come and stay with us again New Years Eve 2014.
Ariton, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed at the Riverview for a long weekend November 2013. Had a corner king room overlooking the port on the 27th floor. Great location, great people. Had breakfast in the Harbor Room, great food and great service. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: High floor room overlooking Port of Mobile
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Philip K, Rooms Division Manager at Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am deligthed to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Please know that your comments will be shared with the entire hotel team. We hope you elect to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to the Mobile area.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stay at the Riverview Renaissance Hotel often for business. Most often I am greeted at the front desk by a friendly pleasant face but I have to say by far the best part of my stay is the bar. It's a great way to wind down after a long day at the office & it's always nice to be greeted by a friendly smiling face. Brittany has been absolutely amazing, energetic, helpful & always friendly.

My only complaint is that when my laundry is returned I am not given a new bag & a new sheet. Other than that my stay is awesome.

• Stayed November 2013
Philip K, Rooms Division Manager at Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for recently staying with us at the Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to hear that you continually come back and stay with us time and again. Please know that we will be sure to share your positive comments w/ Brittany. She truly is an asset to our Food and Beverage team and we are delighted to have her be a part of our team. We hope you elect to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to our area. Have a great week.
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is a very good hotel for a function or place to stay. We attended a Marine Corps Ball here and the facility was big enough to handle all of us. Very friendly staff, good food and drinks on the premises, plus it’s in a great location downtown and next to the Water.

Room Tip: the bay/water side views are the best.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Philip K, Rooms Division Manager at Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you had a great time at the ball you attended. We hope to see you back again should your travels ever bring you back to our area. Again many thanks for your feedback.