“Fantastic Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed here from 04/24/14 to 04/28/14 and I didn't want to leave. The staff was extremely friendly, helpful, and always had a smile on their face along with a friendly greating. Rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean. The patio is fantastic and really made our stay that much more enjoyable. Considering this hotel is downtown, you would never know it by how quiet and relaxing it is.

If I had anything negetive to say, it would be about the air conditioning system in our one bedroom suite. In order to keep the bedroom a comfortable temperature, the living area was always ice cold. This is really just a minor issue tho and wouldn't keep me from staying again. Fantastic stay......

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
CandlewoodSuitesMobi, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Mobile-Downtown, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Amy A,

Thank you for your review! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit with us! Spring is a beautiful time in Mobile and we would love the opportunity to have you stay with us again soon.

I do apologize for the AC issues during your stay. Maintenance will look into this issue, but I am glad to hear it didn't severely impact the quality of your stay with us. Once again, thank you & your kind comments will be forwarded to the staff. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Lindsay, Guest Services Champion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Brasilia, DF
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

It is a big room, really. And with a small kitchen installed. It has a small cooktop, microwave, dishes etc, but no refrigerator.
The bed is comfortable and big. But there is no cleaning during the staying, you have to do for yourself or wait the weekly cleaning.
Great location, at downtown, very close to business center and government offices. Staff was very kind, available all day and night.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
CandlewoodSuitesMobi, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Mobile-Downtown, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Marcelo_Jorge,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We hope you enjoyed your stay with us! I apologize for any issues with your kitchen and I will look further into the circumstances regarding your room having no fridge. All of our suites should be supplied with a cooktop, microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker, & refrigerator.

At Candlewood we do have a weekly housekeeping policy, but if at any time you would like extra housekeeping during your stay, please let the front desk know and we will be happy to accommodate your request. We sincerely hope if you are ever in the Mobile area again that you choose to stay with us! Thank you for the review and safe travels!

Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed here for a mardi gras and were well pleased with our stay. The hotel is new so everything was nice and appealing. The parking lot was small but we found a place to park with no problem. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. They called us a cab when we couldn't get one to answer the phone. Security is tight this time of year... a key card must be used to access doors and the elevator and such but this made us feel pretty safe as there were lots of people wandering around downtown for the parades. Overall it was very quite, staff very friendly and helpful and well worth the price we paid.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CandlewoodSuitesMobi, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Mobile-Downtown, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Shelleywood,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are delighted to hear you were so pleased with your stay! Your comments will be forwarded to the staff to thank them for a job well done. We love for our guests to feel at home with us and we are glad that was conveyed in the service you received. Once again, thank you! We appreciate your review and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Dallas, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed here recently. Unfortunately it was during Mardi Gras. Parking was a nightmare. No security for the lot, so no spaces for guests. I had to park on the street. I found out the next morning, that no breakfast was offered, just a few pastries from a local baker. If you were a Holiday Inn point junkie, then this is an OK place.

Room Tip: Don't expect much, than a clean room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CandlewoodSuitesMobi, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Mobile-Downtown, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Jim M,
Thank you for your candid review of our hotel. Let me begin by wholeheartedly apologizing for the parking issues you encountered. Unfortunately, as you stated, we do have a limited size parking lot. As stated on our website, parking in our lot during the area’s special events is non-guaranteed, so we try to maximize our lot as best we can by enforcing a parking limit of one car per room & any cars found on our lot without our specific parking passes are removed. Again, I sincerely apologize as this can sometimes be an inconvenience for our guests.

We encourage any future guests with questions/concerns about parking or otherwise to contact the front desk and they will be able to work with you to answer any questions you may have. Thank you again Jim for your review and safe travels.
Orange Beach, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We spent one night at the hotel for a mardi gras ball. The hotel was clean, quiet, and comfortable. The front desk helped make sure we found parking in their parking lot and a taxi ride to and from our mardi gras ball. The hotel also offers free DVD and board games for you and your family while you stay which is a big help when you have trouble sleeping! Candle wood is the newest hotel downtown, yet it was also the cheapest during mardi gras season. Highly recommend!

The only reasons I did not give it 5 stars are: there is an ice machine in the fridge in your room, but no where else - and you have to wait for it to make ice (slowly) and they don't offer any type of complimentary breakfast or room service - only their cupboard store.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CandlewoodSuitesMobi, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Mobile-Downtown, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Brittneymreeves,

Thank you for your kind review! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your Mardi Gras stay and the many amenities we have to offer! As you pointed out, we do have ice machines in all of our guest refrigerators, but if you need ice a little bit more quickly we also provide an ice machine on the 1st floor. We invite you to stay with us again next year and we look forward to serving you!

Mobile, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

The room was as described. My main issue with the room is the AC. The main AC unit is in the living room and not in the bedroom. What kind if sense does that make when most of your stay is in the bedroom. Also there are no vents in the bedroom only a small fan in the wall that sucks air from the living room. That arrangement simply doesn't work. Also if you stop moving for 15 minutes you know like when your sleeping the AC cuts off. Who was the idiot that designed that??? Fix the AC situation in the rooms and this would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear David G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I apologize about the AC problems during your stay. Our AC units are designed to sense if a person has entered the room & to leave the room at a comfortable temperature for our guests. It sounds as if your unit was set for a higher temperature than what was comfortable for you and I do sincerely apologize. Our intention with our energy units is to be able to bring you an affordable room rate with, most importantly, a wonderful guest experience as well. Once again, I apologize and thank you for your comments. We take all reviews into consideration as ways to improve our hotel!

baton rouge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stay in Mobile about 4 times a year, usually at the Hampton Inn, Riverview or Battle House. I booked 4 rooms at this hotel because I was traveling with 10 guests for a Mardi Gras ball. No one told us upon check in that there is ABSOLUTELY NO HOUSEKEEPING ... until day 3 or 7 of your stay. I only found this out because the housekeeping manager rode in the elevator with me and explained it to me on Sunday morning. When I called the front desk Saturday evening the clerk said, "Oh your room isnt cleaned?" ... Apparently they get around this by billing themselves as "extended stay" except its no where at the check in desk, and only found a small placard in the bathroom that was tucked behind the soaps. My entire party was checked in by the front desk clerk, manager (who was less than pleasant) and someone from corporate who was visiting that day...one would think that one of the three would have let us know the rooms wouldnt get cleaned. The particular room I stayed in was spacious and had average furniture. The AC that is "energy efficient" cuts off after 15 minutes of no movement which gets quite annoying if your napping mid day or in the middle of the night. We had to make 3 phone calls upon arrival to get our AC checked because the room was hot and it wouldnt come on or stay on. There are also absolutely no vents in the bedroom, but a FAN installed between the den and bedroom that must suction air from one room to another to cool the bedroom. Last I checked, I do not stay at hotels to sacrifice comfort for 'energy efficiency." The room I stayed in was missing the globe on the light fixture hanging above the "desk/vanity" in the bedroom and the shower (no tub - just shower) already had damage where something was pulled off the wall and just remnants of caulk and glue remained. Oh and lets not forget, once we found the placard that stated "if you need more towels call the front desk" -- it still doesnt mention your room won't be cleaned and you have to go get them yourself...they will not bring them to you.., when we did present to the front desk on Sunday, Feb 16th around 1 am to ask for more towels, the desk clerk acted as if it was a burden to give out more towels. Will I stay there again? No. I've stayed at extended stay type hotels before and never have I anticipated not having a room cleaned, fresh towels, or AC. I've already booked my room at the Riverview for Mardi Gras 2014 and am happy to pay the higher rate for common conveniences you expect in a hotel. On both Saturday and Sunday I asked to speak to the manager about the issue with not being told there would be no housekeeping, and was told the only person on duty was the "houskeeping manager." Next year I will go back to the Hampton where the rooms are obviously higher, but the manager and assistant manager are always friendly and always available for issues, or just to say hello to guests. I've never stayed in a hotel where there is absolutely no management available to talk to guests if there are problems.

Room Tip: If you expect hotel type service daily, do NOT stay here.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
CandlewoodSuitesMobi, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Mobile-Downtown, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear mjmcintosh,

Thank you for your review and let me begin by wholeheartedly apologizing for the problems you encountered during your stay. Unfortunately, our Senior Management Team only works from 9a-6p M-F. If your stay is on a weekend, Senior Management will not physically be on site; although there will always be a Manager on Duty available to speak with. Per protocol, we are to make it known upon check-in to all of our guests that we have housekeeping set up for light cleaning after 3 days and a full cleaning on the 7th day. We are in the business to serve our guests and if at any time you request extra housekeeping during your stay we are more than happy to accommodate that request. I sincerely apologize that this was not made known to you as well as your guests upon check-in and this will be forwarded to the appropriate Management team.

As you correctly stated we do have energy efficient AC units installed in our suites and they have a sensor which alerts the unit of movement and/or if a guest is in the room. During different seasons we set the baseline temperature of our units to be more in line with the weather of our area. This helps units to not constantly run & to leave the room at a comfortable temperature for our guests. It sounds as if your unit was set for a higher temperature than what was comfortable for you and I do apologize for this inconvenience. Our intention with our energy units is to be able to bring you an affordable room rate with a wonderful guest experience as well. Lastly, I am disappointed to hear in the state of your shower & light fixture. These problems will be forwarded to our Executive Housekeeper. This is not typical of our establishment and I invite you back to our property to experience the full "home away from home" experience we can provide. If any guests prefer tubs over showers we ask that they contact Guest Services, so that we may add the preference to their reservation. Again, thank you so much for your candid review and I apologize for your inconvenience. We use reviews like yours to help better our customer service and create a better guest experience!