“A case of bad timing”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between University and Schillinger
Description: Little House Bistro epitomizes the best of contemporary southern cuisine and true southern hospitality. The quaint cottage with ivy covered front porch, soft candle lighting and crisp white linens help provide an inviting and comfortable atmosphere for any dining experience. Chef Marc Walden has created a seasonally changing menu that features the finest foods of the region including locally grown produce and fresh Gulf seafood. So whether you are a local dining with family and friends or traveling through the Gulf Coast area, Little House Bistro invites you to "Our House" for an amazing meal!
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Went here with my wife for dinner for the first time. We had lunch there several times and enjoyed it. We ordered an appetizer and two specials - the kansas city steak and a grilled salmon.

the appetizer, a savory bacon cheesecake with a tomato relish was quite tasty and we enjoyed that. that one would be recommended.

the entrees however were abysmal.

the steak was quite honestly one of the bottom 2 or 3 pieces of meat i have ever had at any restaurant. ordered medium, it came out so rare i couldn't believe how off they were. hating to send things back and not being totally repulsed by rare steak, i decided to forge on an eat it. the problem then was the actual cut of meat, which (especially for being cooked rare) was stringy and tough. the waitress offered to have them recook it, but a more well done piece of stringy meat wouldn't have been any better. the chef could not have cooked one of those cuts and tried it before the night started. if they had, they wouldn't have served them and strangled their butcher. and they certainly wouldn't have the nerve to charge $32 for it.

next up was the salmon, which had the opposite problem in that it was dryer than sand. completely overcooked and bland. maybe their kitchen timer was broken?

also 3 of the 4 sides were so completely over-salted, it almost made them inedible.

overall, the tab for 1 appetizer, 2 entrees and a $10 corkage fee, and a 20+% tip (i hate to fault the server for the kitchen's shortcomings) came to over $95, which was ridiculous for the quality of food offered.

while me might try this place for lunch again, we'll never eat there for dinner again. sad, because we like to support the local restaurants in town.

1  Thank 5252orange

Reviewed 10 November 2011

I have dined at the LHB several times over the last year with the same problem each time. The Food takes FOREVER! Usually two burgers and a side take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half for lunch. If you are in a hurry; this is not the stop for you. I had dinner with them recently (hesitant I might add) as part of a group. We ordered at 6:45 and did not receive entrees until 9:15. That being said; the food is delicious for the most part, but it has become more of an irritation to dine at the LHB than the food can make up for. I really hope the owners/chef read my review because I sincerely beleive in what they are doing; how they go about it leaves a lot to be desired. I have had some experience in the kitchen and I think more time needs to be spent in prep. Bottom line; If you are looking for a great place to share a meal and aren't concerned with time; The LHB might be worth a stop. Order the Fillet.

Reviewed 30 September 2011

Wow, I've passed by here several times a week since they opened and I finally visited for lunch with my wife. Great atmosphere and music. I had the Bistro Burger which has homemade pimento cheese on a fresh roll. Unbelievably good! I finished with sweet potato pie for dessert. What a great meal. I can't afford that kind of lunch all the time, but it sure is a good treat.

Reviewed 22 August 2011

Food and service were great. A little out of the way to get to, but worth it.

Reviewed 18 March 2011

My wife and I had a wonderful expirence, and dinner. The service was good and timely. The meal took a little longer to get to table than I would have preferred but it was worth the wait. Our glasses stayed full, and we loved the coffee cups! Very nice resturant located just around the corner from the house in west Mobile. Literally! If you want a cocktail or wine,you'll have to bring your own, and they're OK with it. Hand them the bottle and they'll serve it up in style. We will be back.

2  Thank dbrinkm