“almost adequate”

Ranked #52 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Louisiana
“almost adequate”
Reviewed 5 July 2008

No fridge or microwave in the room was a big negative, as was the old and dirty carpet. The beds were uncomfortable. The location was fairly quiet during our stay though and the staff was mostly friendly and helpful. The maid service was good.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — lack of ameneties
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Skillet38

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sweet home Alabama
Reviewed 22 April 2008

A group of cheerleaders and parents arrived late (around midnight) for a competition the next day in Mobile. When we arrived, our rooms had been given away (even though I had arranged for all the rooms with a credit card to hold them). The staff was rude and some of our party left for other hotels. I only stayed because the front desk finally found a few rooms with K beds, not doubles like we needed, and they had my credit card number. I figured they might charge it anyway. Didn't sleep well--strange noises, people running through the hall, lots of traffic at all hours of the night. Not really what I was looking for. As it was just me and my daughter, I was rather uncomfortable. I saw mold and mildew, bugs, and lots of people just hanging out in the parking lot. It was not what I expected. When we went for breakfast at a nearby restaurant, one of the waitresses asked us if we stayed in the Red Roach Inn. We said yes. I hate to say it, but I can't recommend this to anyone.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank gmsenglish8
alabama
Reviewed 4 February 2008

my wife and another couple stayed overnight for cruise departure the next day.Thought Tillmans corner would be safe..was on back of motel,it was dark, room was small but seemed clean.there was someone playing a bass guiter in next room till 9pm..a car sat outside our room with headlights on for 2 hrs,had to call front desk to ask about security..car left and spun out tires and blowed horn .and came back several times..finally a police siren sounded and someones car alarm went off!could finally sleep around 11pm..the only good part was front staff was very nice..will not stay again.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bustedacres
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 June 2007

According to most of the reviews online, as well as my past experiences, I figured that I would have to find a hotel off of the I-65 corridor to escape the crime-ridden hotels off of Airport Blvd. and Government Blvd. So, stupidly, I decided to look at Tillman's Corner.

On my meager budget, I figured I would try out the Red Roof inn. The reviews weren't bad, and the location seemed to be away from the riff-raff of the rest of Mobile. Here is my experience.

Upon arrival (around 7 pm), I went to check in, and the lobby was locked. I had to conduct my check-in through a sliding drawer in a bullet-proof glass window. That, along with the 4 or 5 broken-down cars sitting in the parking lot next to the lobby, should have been my first hint as to what I had gotten myself into.

The room was acceptable, but not great. It reaked of mold, and the air conditioner was very noisy. There was an extreme lack of basic amenities, such as an iron, that has been previously mentioned. However, I guess you get what you pay for. I was placed in a room as far as possible from the front desk, which was pretty inconvenient, and it was pretty scary being stuck in the back of the motel. Overall, the area in general seemed scary; I had a hard time sleeping that night for fear of a break-in.

When I woke up the next morning, I itched all over. It felt like I had picked up chiggers from the bed. This itching continued for 2 days following my stay.

Anyways, the motel overall was acceptable; however, I wish I had paid the extra money to stay in the adjacent Holiday Inn.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The bug bites contracted from the bed
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank TheElGriff
Natchitoches
Reviewed 9 July 2006

My husband and I stayed for one night and really didn't know what to expect. I had never stayed at a Red Roof. We just wanted a clean, comfortable room at a good price. Nothing fancy. Upon check in, the clerk was very helpful with dining options and mapped out a route to the mall. She was very pleasant.
The room was very small, but it was fine for what we paid. However, I discovered upon exiting the shower that there was no hair dryer. I had to dry my hair as best I could over the air conditioner. Also, there was no ironing board or iron. Perhaps I could have requested one from the desk, but I just wore another shirt. I guess I assumed these two items would be standard in any room.
I would stay here again, as it was very clean, quiet, convenient to everything, and the bed was very comfortable. I would just bring my own hair dryer and travel iron next time!!

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank 456Cheryl
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 5 May 2006

We had stayed at overnight in Mobile before catching the Carnival Holiday the next morning, so we looked for a good review at a decently priced hotel. This hotel has at least two buildings, and we stayed at the first floor in the second one furthest from the front lobby. The size of the room is to be expected at the price we paid, but we did expect more than what we got.

Upon opening the door, there was a moldy, musty smell that was rather strong. Different pieces in the room were not fit. For example, the air conditioner's cover inside the room was not fully on the unit, so there was about an inch space between the cover and the chassis. The bathroom exhaust fan cover was lopsided and not in place. The worst was the presence what looked like black mold beginning to grow on the wall and ceiling above the door to the bathroom!

We were exhausted from a 14-hour drive and didn't demand a different room. This is far worse than any hotel room we've ever stayed in.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank kingttx
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 March 2006

We stopped and stayed here on our way to Florida. The room was very clean. A great value. We were able to take our dog and we not charged extra for her. We booked a reservation for our return trip.

Stayed March 2006