“OK for the money, just don't let the bed bugs bite”

Extend a Suites Mobile Tillmans Corner
Ranked #52 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Denver, Colorado
“OK for the money, just don't let the bed bugs bite”
Reviewed 27 June 2007

According to most of the reviews online, as well as my past experiences, I figured that I would have to find a hotel off of the I-65 corridor to escape the crime-ridden hotels off of Airport Blvd. and Government Blvd. So, stupidly, I decided to look at Tillman's Corner.

On my meager budget, I figured I would try out the Red Roof inn. The reviews weren't bad, and the location seemed to be away from the riff-raff of the rest of Mobile. Here is my experience.

Upon arrival (around 7 pm), I went to check in, and the lobby was locked. I had to conduct my check-in through a sliding drawer in a bullet-proof glass window. That, along with the 4 or 5 broken-down cars sitting in the parking lot next to the lobby, should have been my first hint as to what I had gotten myself into.

The room was acceptable, but not great. It reaked of mold, and the air conditioner was very noisy. There was an extreme lack of basic amenities, such as an iron, that has been previously mentioned. However, I guess you get what you pay for. I was placed in a room as far as possible from the front desk, which was pretty inconvenient, and it was pretty scary being stuck in the back of the motel. Overall, the area in general seemed scary; I had a hard time sleeping that night for fear of a break-in.

When I woke up the next morning, I itched all over. It felt like I had picked up chiggers from the bed. This itching continued for 2 days following my stay.

Anyways, the motel overall was acceptable; however, I wish I had paid the extra money to stay in the adjacent Holiday Inn.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The bug bites contracted from the bed
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank TheElGriff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Natchitoches
Reviewed 9 July 2006

My husband and I stayed for one night and really didn't know what to expect. I had never stayed at a Red Roof. We just wanted a clean, comfortable room at a good price. Nothing fancy. Upon check in, the clerk was very helpful with dining options and mapped out a route to the mall. She was very pleasant.
The room was very small, but it was fine for what we paid. However, I discovered upon exiting the shower that there was no hair dryer. I had to dry my hair as best I could over the air conditioner. Also, there was no ironing board or iron. Perhaps I could have requested one from the desk, but I just wore another shirt. I guess I assumed these two items would be standard in any room.
I would stay here again, as it was very clean, quiet, convenient to everything, and the bed was very comfortable. I would just bring my own hair dryer and travel iron next time!!

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank 456Cheryl
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 5 May 2006

We had stayed at overnight in Mobile before catching the Carnival Holiday the next morning, so we looked for a good review at a decently priced hotel. This hotel has at least two buildings, and we stayed at the first floor in the second one furthest from the front lobby. The size of the room is to be expected at the price we paid, but we did expect more than what we got.

Upon opening the door, there was a moldy, musty smell that was rather strong. Different pieces in the room were not fit. For example, the air conditioner's cover inside the room was not fully on the unit, so there was about an inch space between the cover and the chassis. The bathroom exhaust fan cover was lopsided and not in place. The worst was the presence what looked like black mold beginning to grow on the wall and ceiling above the door to the bathroom!

We were exhausted from a 14-hour drive and didn't demand a different room. This is far worse than any hotel room we've ever stayed in.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank kingttx
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 March 2006

We stopped and stayed here on our way to Florida. The room was very clean. A great value. We were able to take our dog and we not charged extra for her. We booked a reservation for our return trip.

Stayed March 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Glassboro, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 September 2005

On July 19, 2005, we stayed at this Red Roof Inn for the 2nd time and were once again pleased. The price is very economical. Don't expect amenities. Do expect a clean, small room, a quiet setting and a very pleasant staff. This Red Roof is located at 5450 Coca-Cola Road. Phone: --------

3 Thank MGrace
Columbia, TN
Reviewed 6 July 2004

We traveled to Mobile on July 4th weekend to visit the beaches. I booked this motel via cheaptickets.com for 46.99 per night, two double beds, etc. The rooms are adequately sized for a family of four, beds are comfortable and clean and have built in video game system on tv to purchase games if you would like to. The manager, Kelly, goes out of her way to make sure everything is just right for your stay and even tried to get some restaurants to give us preferred seating! All in all, we give this motel a two thumbs up!!!!!!

12 Thank Paul3009