“Disappointing”

Cross street: Halliet Street
Transit: City Bus
Description: See web address above
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Great ambiance...but the food was a disappointment. ,The bread that was brought out in the beginning with a herb style butter, was delicious. However, the portions were small, especially for the price.The shrimp n grits was good but a small portion. It was topped with a mushroom, cherry tomato ragout type sauce. The chicken n dumplings..FORGET IT!!! First of all it was shocking when they brought out the dish because it looked lost in the plate! Then, I could find only ONE piece of chicken. Yes...one piece of chicken. When the server came to ask about our dishes, I complained then there was no meat. Then, I had to ask "What's this?" as I was looking at a browned piece of something...to which he replied..."I think it's the skin of the chicken. So, I started cutting it in front of him and as I was "sawing", he said, "I don't thinks it's suppose to be like that" and took it back to the kitchen. When he brought it back, it was still skimpy on the portion and it was flavorless. I know they were trying to "con-temporize" the dish but an upscale restaurant in South should really hit this out of the park! It's a good idea but their's fell flat on its face. Again, told the server it was a disappointment. Her was pleasant, and attentive. We were offered nothing as a consolation...

Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

Had the rehearsal dinner here the evening before my sons recent wedding in Mobile. Since we not from the area, I asked the brides mother for recommendations and true was one of two restaurants she recommended. My daughter lives and works in Fairhope so I asked her about the two plus several others I had read about. Daughter works with someone who lives in Mobile and eats out frequently and based on her assessment I ended up going with true's. I am so glad I did! I had the entire restaurant booked. The eclectic atmosphere was just what we wanted, the food, drinks and service couldn't have been better. To top it off we had so much food left over the staff boxed it up for us to donate to a boys home there in the city. Finally, my husband about fell over when Wes gave him the bill at the end of the evening and it was so reasonable! It certainly seemed like it was much more costly than it ended up being! Our guests were very complimentary. Highly recommend!

1  Thank Mamepps
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Server was not very knowledgeable. Decor was mediocre. Menu was uninspired. I dig the New South Cuisine movement and some of its twists on Southern foods, but I KNOW you didn't really bring me Saltine crackers to eat with my cream cheese and pepper jelly appetizer! The pepper jelly was fine with a nice adobo flavor but utterly unenhanced by Saltines and Philadelphia cream cheese. The Mahi was substantially overcooked. Presentation lacking. When I asked for a derivation (due to dietary restrictions) from the Chorizo in the tomato sauce with the Mahi, I was treated to no sauce at all. The fennel mashed potatoes seemed to be just that with no type of butter or cream binder. My wife had the wild mushroom pasta which was better but had too much sauce and too little flavor. When asked if the chef might freestyle a different vegetarian option (before ordering and while there were only three other tables seated later in the evening), we received the standard Southern restaurant response that the kitchen could grill some veggies, if we liked. SAD! At least the drinks and wine menu were good. Try somewhere else, if you are looking for a special dinner or consider yourself any degree of Foodie.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

We were debating where to eat and I had a list of restaurants based on reviews. We ended up at True Midtown Kitchen b/c it was tucked away from the downtown and historical area, which we had just driven out of. Our server did a great job. The food was delicious. I had a little trouble deciding what to get b/c the menu seemed a bit eclectic, but I ordered the special soup and tuna tartare. The tuna had pineapple in the dish and this made it almost pop in my mouth- such a great combo. I also ordered the old-fashioned and the manager came to show me that the maraschino cherries were specially imported from Italy and that is why it was almost black. Btw, that cherry was SOOO good, it was like eating candy: it had a rich, deep flavor and regular maraschino cherries cannot even compare. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone. It was not at all snooty, either.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Funky, friendly and fabulous food! We were in Mobile for a few days and learned of this restaurant from a tourist booklet. We're so glad we chose it! Midtown is on beautiful Dauphine Street, which is filled with lovely homes. The restaurant is housed in a former bakery that provided breads for the city of Mobile. Great history. Our waiter was very friendly and informative, and a native Mobilian. And the food --- fantastic. I don't particularly like grits. My husband ordered their specialty Shrimp and Grits dish. OMG, I could eat that every day. I had a Blackened Grouper Chowder that was excellent. This is the only bar I've ever known to mix their own tonic water. My husband drinks gin and tonic. This G&T with house tonic was to die for! Needless to say, we were very happy with our entire experience at this place. Although the food is reasonably priced, the bar tab can make the cost jump quickly. But it's worth every penny based on our experience.