“Delicious take on Southern food in an out-of-the-way location”
Review of True Midtown Kitchen - CLOSED

Cross street: Halliet Street
Transit: City Bus
Description: See web address above
Washington, DC
“Delicious take on Southern food in an out-of-the-way location”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

While in Mobile on business, a coworker and I ventured away from downtown to True Midtown Kitchen. We walked from downtown, which I don't recommend at all. It's much farther than you'd think! Once we arrived, we were greeted by friendly staff and seated immediately. The menu contains many interesting spins on traditional southern dishes. For example, the soup of the day was broccoli soup ... with curry. It was absolutely delicious. My coworker had the shrimp and grits, which was an enormous portion. I had the soup and a salad with candies pecans and blue cheese. Both were excellent. We shared the cream cheese and pepper jelly appetizer, which comes with good ol' Saltine crackers. The wine selection was good. Overall, I was really happy with True Midtown Kitchen. For me, the biggest downside was that the menu had almost no choices for vegetarians. It ended up working fine with the soup and salad, but it would have been nice to have more choices. I'd recommend it. (But take a cab!)

• Visited July 2013

Spring, Texas
“Most Excellent Steak!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

50s and 60s music was perfect being from my era. White russians were great! Steak melted in my mouth and my partner had a delicious burger. Enjoyed it completely!

Visited August 2013
“Good, Not Great”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We dined here for a business dinner on a Tuesday evening in the summer. The place was not busy at all. Our reservations were for 7 o'clock. Maybe four tables were occupied when we arrived. Our server was also our hostess and seemed over worked and stressed out when we walked in the door. We were all excited about dining at this James Beard nominated restaurant. After being seated, our party of 9 order 3 appetizers and a variety of drinks and beverages. Our server came back out to tell us they were out of 2 of the appetizers and 2 of the alcoholic beverages needed to mix the drinks. We order alternates, only to find out once again one of the appetizers we ordered, they were out of again. Alternate drink choices were made, again, only to find out they were out of that choice as well. The appetizers were small for the amount you pay. The pork belly (out third choice) was very tough and difficult to cut as well as chew. The biscuits brought out to us were incredibly crumbly, but the butter was fantastic. The cream cheese and pepper jelly was yummy, but the saltines were stale and lacked taste. Our party ordered a variety of menu items. I ordered the shrimp and grits. The grits were very soupy and required a spoon to eat them - not because that was the utensil of choice, but of necessity. Another person ordered the Kitchen and Dumplings and was very disappointed. I will say the presentation was very lacking and did not appeal to the eye. She stated the taste was very plain and nothing special. Of course desserts were ordered, only to once again find that 2 of the four choices were not available. I selected the apple crumble that was cold and did not excite the taste buds at all.

Our server was fantastic. She was exhausted from being worked multiple shifts that week and the sweat on her brow confirmed her exhaustion. She was timid to come back to us to tell us that they were out of items and had the bartender come out and tell us after the first go around. The ambiance was wonderful. Loved the decor and the surroundings.

Would I recommend this place - not sure. Our food choices not being available was a put off and the appearance and lack of taste of some of the items left us with a bad impression. Having dined in other James Beard nominated restaurants, I really am not sure how this one measures up to that standard. I am hoping we just hit it on a really bad night.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank ALmomma
Mobile
“Enjoyable fine dining experience”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We dined at True Midtown Kitchen for my birthday dinner after see a wonderful movie downtown at the Crescent Theater. There were 4 of us. The place was packed. Unbeknownst to us we had a special treat. Amy True sang with trio of musicians. They sounded wonderful! Our server, Brandon, was helpful and attentive without being intrusive. The food was very savory. I had the taste strawberry, arugula, pecans and goat cheese salad. My main course was the filet mignon with cajun herb butter. I like my steak medium well and that is what I got. Too often a steak will be either overdone or under cooked; this was cooked perfectly. Two of us had the pan seared mahi mahi with tomato chorizo broth and fennel smashed potatoes. They both thought it was very good. I had the espresso brownie for desert. Being a real sweet lover I was disappointed because the brownie was too dry. All in all we had a nice dinner in a music fill atmosphere with wonderful service. With the 3 courses and a good bit of wine our check was pretty high, but did have an enjoyable fine dining experience.

• Visited June 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Great ambiance...but the food was a disappointment. ,The bread that was brought out in the beginning with a herb style butter, was delicious. However, the portions were small, especially for the price.The shrimp n grits was good but a small portion. It was topped with a mushroom, cherry tomato ragout type sauce. The chicken n dumplings..FORGET IT!!! First of all it was shocking when they brought out the dish because it looked lost in the plate! Then, I could find only ONE piece of chicken. Yes...one piece of chicken. When the server came to ask about our dishes, I complained then there was no meat. Then, I had to ask "What's this?" as I was looking at a browned piece of something...to which he replied..."I think it's the skin of the chicken. So, I started cutting it in front of him and as I was "sawing", he said, "I don't thinks it's suppose to be like that" and took it back to the kitchen. When he brought it back, it was still skimpy on the portion and it was flavorless. I know they were trying to "con-temporize" the dish but an upscale restaurant in South should really hit this out of the park! It's a good idea but their's fell flat on its face. Again, told the server it was a disappointment. Her was pleasant, and attentive. We were offered nothing as a consolation...

• Visited June 2013