“Damp Rooms”
Review of Courtyard Mobile

Ranked #29 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, but was miserable! Hotel was sold out, when checked in, was told by front desk the room I had reserved a king with sofabed was not available! Traveling with kids, so just a king bed would not have worked! Showed her the reservation where it was clearly listed king w/sofabed listed, she said sorry but will try to get a rollaway bed but can't guarantee! Paid 150 for the room, it was ridiculous! Talked to the manager, he looked it up and said we do have a sofa bed!!!! The front desk person was just incompetent!!! When we got to the rooms, the room smelled, carpet and bed was damp! The whole air about the room was dark and damp! Since it was late at night, no rooms available, had to do the best with what we got!

• Stayed: July 2013
oursideofthestory, General Manager at Courtyard Mobile, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Rana K,
We would like to thank you for choosing the Courtyard in Mobile. We would like to apologize for the situation during your stay. Our management staff is taking your comments very seriously and we will review the room you stayed in. Training plan will be developed for our front level employees to meet and exceed our guests expectations. We would like to invite you back to the hotel on your next future stay with us. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to Mobile.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We actually made the reservations via mobile phone and were lucky to get in; the hotel was booked solid! We were greeted by Gwen and she was truly glad to see us! She made our check-in very pleasant and I was super impressed with her customer service skills. The rooms were comfortable, decor was very nice and the bathrooms well stocked. The area looks scary, but I can assure you that your are in a safe part of town; many million dollar homes right around the corner at Old Shell neighborhood. I will recommend this property for families; the indoor pool is awesome for them.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank johnluriejr

Dear johnluriejr,
Thank you for choosing the Courtyard in Mobile. We would like to thank you for your wonderful comments regarding how well you were greeted upon arrival by one of our team members Gwen. Thank you for your comments regarding our guestrooms being comfortable, decor was very nice and bathrooms being well stocked. Hotel is in a safe part of town with 24 hour video surveillance for extra protection. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

The staff was the highlight of this hotel as i felt it was a bit run down. I think some of the bathroom could have been cleaner (not from maid service but it was just old with mold growing in the bathtub faucet).

The lady who checked me in at night was so kind and helpful. She helped us with our luggage though it wasn't her job as we were so late due to unexpected traffic. I needed all the help I could get since I was with my mom and two kids.

The other issue was that I thought the feather pillows smelled a bit musty.

The nice thing about this hotel was that I received multiple requests for comments and a response from the manager very quickly.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear sse1078,
I would like to thank you for choosing the Courtyard in Mobile. Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our staff being a highlight of your stay. Our employees enjoy going above and beyond to meet and exceed each guests needs while staying with us. We truly apologize that you thought our property was run down. Our property is scheduled to go through renovations in the 1st quarter of 2014. We look forward to your future stay with us.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

We loved the firm mattress of the king bed at the Courtyard, Mobile but the rest of our stay seemed just OK. The hotel was totally full and we had to stay in a first floor room. We could hear lots of stomping from the room above. Products were limited to soap and shampoo--no lotion or anything else. the room was clean but had a bit of a musty smell.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
oursideofthestory, General Manager at Courtyard Mobile, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I'm so happy that you enjoyed our beds. We do have complimentary lotion at our Front Desk as well as other items in our Market that can be purchased if the lotion is not to your liking. On a side note our room will be renovated near the end of this year please come back and see us. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Passing through town, and no available non-smoking room at the Hampton Inn next door, so we were referred here by the desk agent..

The lobby was nice enough, except for the employees watching TV there at full blast, the clerk had to ask her co-worker to turn it down.

The only non-smoking room available, was a King bed on the first floor. The room was as tired as we were from driving all day. Smelled like a dirty old sock. The room is in need of updating. I checked for critters in the bed and it was clean, phew! I did not walk around barefoot though, the carpet should have been replaced and the tiles in the bath seemed a little sticky (like the cleaner wasn't rinsed well enough kind of sticky)

The bed at least was comfortable and clean thank goodness. I was worried it might be noisy, but that turned out not to be an issue.

Overall, the room just needed an update. In my latest travels, it seems that Marriott has not lived up to my expectations.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
oursideofthestory, General Manager at Courtyard Mobile, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review to us at the Courtyard in Mobile AL. I'm so very sorry that you noticed a smell in your room. We are actually in the process this week (May 6 - May 10) of having all of our air conditioning units and our carpets cleaned. We are also scheduled to have our rooms renovated this winter. We would love to have you return to our property and give us a second chance to impress you. Again, thank you so much for staying with us.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

I am very impressed with the public and room cleanliness at this Courtyard. My room, a king spa suite, was spotless and kept that way for all six nights I stayed here. The housekeeper forgot to give me shampoo one day, I left a note asking for some, so she left me five shampoos! Nice! The spa tub was large and I used it almost every night.

So why the three star rating?

1) while the spa was large the water wasn't very hot. Plus the drain plug was very hard to get to seated properly so that the water wouldn't drain out. Another 5 or 10 degrees in water temperature would have been better.

2) the pillows must be a couple decades old. All lumpy and not very comfortable. Maybe the Salvation Army had a sale?

3) Marriott has ruined this hotel and placed one of those wretched "Bistros" in them. I had eaten at several other "Bistro" restaurants at other Courtyards and find the food a rip off. Way over priced and prepared by inexperienced "cook wanna be's" and not by a real chef. I will not ever eat, and get sick again, from one of these because their food preparers aren't trained. Eat at a "Bistro" at your own peril.

4) it is impossible to get a good cup of coffee here. They serve Starbucks which as a black coffee drinker is absolutely horrible. I don't like burned coffee. The in room coffee is lousy too. It took my little coffee make 15 minutes to make two cups that tasted like dishwater. Because of the Starbucks you can get a free coffee in the lobby at most Courtyards. I was in the lobby only once to check in but there wasn't any coffee available and even if there was it was probably Starbucks and I wouldn't drink it anyway.

When I return to Mobile I will probably stay at the full service Marriott. At least they have a chef.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
oursideofthestory, General Manager at Courtyard Mobile, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for our property. I definitely apprecite the nice comments about the staff and the cleanliness of the hotels. I apologize that you had difficulties with your hot tub please never hesitate to let us know while your at the hotel we would have definitely tried to fix the issue. Also, in the future if you need more or different pillows it would be our pleasure to bring you more pillows. Im sorry you do not care for our Bistro or the Starbucks coffee. We do try and spend time working with and training our cooks. We also add and change our menu quarterly, you may find some items you like. Please contact me or my assistant, Chris Turner, in the future and we will do our best to try and find some different coffee that you may prefer. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. I hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Old bathroom which wasn't that clean, drain was rusty, and without being graphic toilet wasn't clean AND No shower curtain. I wore flip flops cuz rug felt damp and sticky. Rooms aren't that great either and why in the world doesn't courtyards do complimentary breakfast. The only reason it's poor and not terrible is the awesome staff AND GREAT COMMON AREAS. FYI, if you want anything other than an average Starbucks cup of joe, Keep it moving. They need barista training. Worst iced coffee ever! If I wasn't desperate for points, woulda went to Hampton Inn.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Monique D
oursideofthestory, General Manager at Courtyard Mobile, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us a comment. We are actually having the whole hotel carpet cleaned in the next two weeks. I'm very happy you enjoyed the common areas and the staff service. I will personally retrain our staff on making ice coffee. They are wonderful at Lattes, Cappuccinos, and Frappuccinos. I do apologize about not having complimentary breakfast. However, the food at the Bistro in the morning and the evening is excellent. Please do not hesitate to try it in the future. It was our pleasure to have you here. I hope we get the opportunity to serve you again in the future.