“Clean and friendly”

Extended Stay America - Mobile - Spring Hill
Ranked #33 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is an older hotel but the room was clean. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The grab and go breakfast was very convenient and a nice surprise. I had come to terms with eating Waffle House across the street until they told me about that. Overall, decent room for decent price.

• Stayed: July 2013
Manager M, Manager at Extended Stay America - Mobile - Spring Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that the Grab and Go breakfast was a money saver for you. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

I should have known when we checked in and had the worst customer service I have ever seen. It started when she would not give us a military discount after affirming that they did in fact offer one. Then when I asked how best to get to our room she looked at me like I was stupid and told me to take the elevator. Yeah I could have figured that one out on my own. I wanted to know which side of the building to park on, etc. Once I got to the room I was horrified. The rooms were terrible. Room number 1 (220) was dirty and smelled of stale cigarette smoke. Room 2 (222) was worse with a giant hole in the bathroom ceiling covered with plywood, giant black mold stains on the ceiling, the mirror was peeling the reflective material off, the air conditioner was pouring water all over the floor making the room smell like mildew, the phone didn't work, and the carpet was filthy. After driving 10 hours from Kentucky down to Mobile we were just too tired to deal with getting a new hotel and were going to just deal with the rooms. I told the front desk that the air conditioner was leaking all over the floor and that the phone didn't work. They did nothing about it. Then we noticed men sitting in the parking lots drinking starting in the early afternoons. They stayed out there all night with their radios blaring until the police showed up. If that wasn't enough we soon overheard what could only be prostitutes and their Johns in the hallway outside our rooms. To say I don't want that kind of thing around my children would be an understatement. We were going to check out the next morning and find a new hotel only to have someone start banging on my door and trying to get in that night. She had a massive dog and after banging and shaking my door for 3 minutes finally announced very loudly that she had the wrong room and went up the stairs. I would have called the front desk to request security but again the phone didn't work and wasn't replaced while we were there. By the time I was able to call my husband and get him to come over from his room the woman at my door was gone however when he opened his door he found two people waiting outside my room, out of sight of the peephole. When they saw him come out of his room they took off running down the hallway. To say I was terrified is an understatement. I was in the room alone with three of my children and strangers are waiting outside my door where I can't see them?! We checked out that morning and I listed all my complaints with the manager

4  Thank 118mimi

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will work hard to make sure your experience is not repeated. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I enjoyed this visit overall, Aug., 2013, due to the quiet, clean atmosphere of the room and the friendly people who worked there.
The upholstered chair and ottoman next to my bed could have been dry cleaned to remove the spots. Didn't sit on it, however. Sat on bed on clean linen & watched tv. Felt safer. I would have liked ice trays in the frig to put in my almost warm soda and being able to watch HGTV & sometimes, The Food Channel. Would have preferred more movie channels, like tcm and hbo.

The bathroom & towels were clean and I didn't mind taking a shower. Could barely see the miniature round bar of soap w/which to clean. Glad I brought toiletries this time.

During visit in May, 2013, would have liked housekeeping to clean room & add fresh linen during the 4 days that I stayed there on Springhill Ct.,(near Springhill Ave.), Mobile, AL. Felt safer during both visits being in close proximity to business that I had to visit that week, esp. while traveling alone.
Would have stayed elsewhere at a hotel with better assortment of tv channels if I was more aware of the area and if I could have gotten a comparable price.

Room Tip: Don't expect housekeeping services unless you stay at least 7 days according to the housekeeper...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sherry C

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I rarely give poor reviews to hotels, but this hotel warrants it. Check in/out was fine and the staff was friendly. The staff wasn't the problem. The room, and other guests, were the problem.

I'll start with the room. This room needed some severe attention. The carpet was filthy and our feet were black, yes black, with dirt 20 minutes after taking off our shoes and socks. While the bed was comfortable, the sheets were not that clean and the pillow cases had something on them. The bathroom tub leaked and the mirror in the bathroom was falling off the brackets. The kitchen had minimal utensils. It did not have pots or pans and only 2 plates, 2 cups, 2 bowls, and 1 fork and no spoons. The refrigerator was in need of good scrub because leftover crumbs were left in it. I cleaned it myself. When I sent my son down to get dishsoap to wash the dishes he was told they were out so I used laundry detergent.

Now, on to the other guests....I don't really even know where to start. Apparently locals use this as an apartment instead of a hotel. Every time my son or I walked outside to retrieve something from the car there were people, possibly drunk judging by the number of beer bottles, standing on the outside walkway yelling obscenities or cat calling other people and us. It was so bad that I wouldn't allow my son to go outside on his own to get something from the front desk. Every night, usually around 10pm, some very loud women were talking about how good their man was to them last night, or just a few minutes ago, in front of our door. These people had no consideration for any other guests who may be trying to get their kids calmed down or keep them asleep. On our last night, some jerk was honking his horn at 4:30am in the parking lot. I heard several people open their doors and yell obscenities at the driver. Dozens of beer bottles were lined up on the hallways each morning. They were gone at the end of the day, but magically new ones appeared each morning and I don't mean 1 or 2 bottles. There were several dozen.

In short, go somewhere else.

4  Thank saustin

Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad stay . Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank dissatisfiedcx43

Reviewed 13 August 2013

The room was a little worn. The property needs updating. Room lacked eating utensils. Owners or corporate needs to invest in updates.
That being said, the personnel on staff were phenomenal. Friendly, courteous, accommodating, helpful, informative and really worked hard to make me feel like a welcome guest. Any request or question was acted on with an enthusiasm not often seen.
Kudos and thank you to Raven and Jackie and others whose names I dont know, for making my visit to Mobile very pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

The team and I appreciate your kind remarks. I'm thrilled that our staff made you feel so welcomed. The staff and I would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I've stayed here many times. The bed is comfortable, and the rooms are OK, but showing some signs of wear. The staff is friendly and helpful. The internet is horrible - absolutely NEVER works. Television used to be horrible, also, but recently got much better. I'd recommend this, but only if you don't want to watch TV or have an alternate means of accessing the internet.

Room Tip: Third floor are less lived in.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies that the internet was so slow. We have updated the internet since your stay.Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.