“Incredible Food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Birmingham, Alabama
“Incredible Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

After being told about the "Ultimate Main Street Burger" sold here, I knew I had to try it. The restaurant has a great atmosphere, being located in a historic building in downtown Montevallo. The menu has a fantastic selection of different American foods. All sorts of burgers, sandwiches, and more left me wanting to come back. I couldn't resist the enormous Ultimate Main Street Burger. Two half-pound patties covered in bacon and several types of cheese, served on two grilled cheese sandwiches in place of a bun. The grilled cheeses are on buttered Texas Toast to make it that much bigger and better. A number of other burgers my family got were also delicious! The fries were very good too. Even if you get something other than the Ultimate, you will have plenty of food and probably need a to go box. The prices were pretty good too. My burger was $16, but it has a lot of meat on it. Everything else was under $10. They also have a bar and a large selection of beer and wines, if that suits your fancy. The service was great and the food was phenomenal, plus the 1910 building had a really nice charm. This was probably the best burger I've ever had and everybody loved their food!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Will E

“Quick Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Had stopped for lunch while in town for business so next time I was in the area I tried it for dinner. Shrimp platter was great. Service was good. An issue with the fryer delayed my meal and my server was very sympathetic and bought me a beer. Shrimp came out great.
Will be back.

“Excellent lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Smothered Chicken and fried hit the spot. Good sweat tea washed it own. Service was fast and pleasant.

• Visited October 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
“Nice atmosphere, somewhat uninspired food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

The tavern is local to us, and we like to patronize local businesses when we can. The atmosphere is nice, as would be expected from a ca. 1910 storefront. The bar is well-stocked, and there seems to be a variety of clientele -- students, locals, families visiting students. It's not just a campus place.

I was a bit disappointed with my meals on the first few visits. I first tried chicken cordon bleu. The breading on the chicken was heavy, and there was no seasoning of any kind on the chicken or in the breading. Pop on a piece of ham and Swiss cheese -- nothing to write home about. The next visit I got wings, and those were decent. The third visit I tried the jerk chicken pasta, and that is what I stick with now.It has a nice flavor, and the cream sauce isn't too heavy. Servings are large, and always involve a to-go bag.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jennifer J
Peabody, MA
“Good dinner spot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

The food is good, nice bar, night life is for the younger set, I have not been myself, but afternoon or evening is quiet for a nice meal or sit and have a drink at the large bar. Quaint atmosphere.

Visited March 2012

Been to Main St. Tavern? Share your experiences!