“Great Southern BBQ”

Ranked #24 of 480 Restaurants in Montgomery
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Ribs. Pork. Chicken. Brisket. Hell, even sausage. All BBQ has the same three basic ingredients: smoke, meat and time. What makes it different is the amount, consideration and attention to each part of that recipe. That, and some really great bbq sauce, too. At Jim ‘N Nick’s, we pride ourselves on using the right ingredients, taking our time and honoring the traditions that brought us barbecue.
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My wife and I ate lunch here because we're big fans of Jim and Nicks generally. This location is on par with all the others. I would tell you that anyone who doesn't like their BBQ probably doesn't know what good BBQ is. The food is WAY better than a "chain hamburger restaurant," as someone averred, and the banana pudding is wonderful. Order the turkey or the pork and you won't leave hungry or disappointed, unless you think BBQ must be smothered in sugar and burned to be good. If that's the case, you can always go to the places that feature Yankee style burned meat (or non-southern bbq).

Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Too many great BBQ restaurants in the area. This one is like ordering BBQ from a chain hamburger joint!! Sweet tea was great. Service was great as well as the atmosphere. The reason to go here is to eat great BBQ, right? Well, BBQ here is way overrated. If that was true BBQ I had then I must not have been raised in the South. Will not go there again. Like I said, the sweet tea was good along with the service and atmosphere. One of my family members had one bite of theirs and didn't eat the rest. Thus, we paid for a plate then had to go get them something else to eat...

Reviewed 19 January 2014

I realized before arriving that this is a regional chain, and that was fine.

I'll also preface this by saying that I was visiting Alabama from "up north' where, arguably, we don't know how to do BBQ. So that being said....

started off with the complimentary cheddar biscuits. Fantastic.

Not 2-3 minutes later my food came. this is what concerned me. Clearly the food is prepared in the back and thrown on plates when the order comes through. You can't fry fries that quickly. This disappointed me. Not that I want to wait forever for my food, but I would like to know that my food is freshly prepared.

got the pulled pork sandwich. To my "north" sensibilities, this wasn't pulled pork, but chunky pork. There were rather large pieces of pork, some pulled pieces, and then sauce on top. It tasted fine but wasn't what I'm accustomed to.

All in all, I was filled up with my meal but wouldn't say it was anything special.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

OMG! They start you off with the best mini chedder biscuits ever! I could eat a dozen of those! Ordered the 2 meat combination with chicken and vinegar and spiced pulled pork. Both were very tasteful and moist. Baked beans were very good and not over sweet. Potato salad had good flavor, but I like mine on the more chunky side and theres was more mashed up. BF had the turkey which was really moist and yummy. Went there two days in a row and both times were delicious and consistent. Manager Tray was very hospital and ran a great restaurant. I even bought a bag of there biscuit mix to go and made it at home and it was just as great as the restaurant minus the great BBQ to go with it.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We were driving from New Orleans to Atlanta, looking for a good BBQ place to have dinner, and after consulting the TripAdvisor app, pulled into Jim 'N Nick's BBQ. Even though it was almost 9 pm on a Tue night, the place was still lively, and we were warmly welcomed.
I had their special Sweet Tea - very nice! - and shared a "Pick-four" dinner, more than enough for 2 hungry guys. Everything was good, including spare ribs and baby backs; both fries and baked beans were just great. Each table had a variety of sauces, some of them really good.
Our waitress, Brandy, was super - friendly and pleasant, with a nice smile. She stopped by a number of times to make sure we were well taken care of.
The place itself was very pleasant. I'd be glad to stop by again.