“Disappointed, but interested in trying again.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alabama Shakespeare Festival

Alabama Shakespeare Festival
Ranked #12 of 67 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: The Alabama Shakespeare Festival, located in Montgomery - Alabama's state capital - is a fully professional regional theatre that produces around ten productions each season in association with Actors' Equity Association, The Stage Directors and Choreographers Society and United Scenic Artists union. Productions of Shakespeare are at the artistic core of the company. Broadway musicals, children's productions, American classics and world premieres round out the annual offerings at ASF.
Orlando, FL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Disappointed, but interested in trying again.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I attended an afternoon performance of Mary Poppins. This was a destination trip - driving with friends 7 and 1/2 hours specifically to make our first visit to Alabama Shakespeare Festival. Certainly the facility is impressive, but I was left wondering where the $1 million dollars the organization claimed to have spent on the show went. A few observations: The costumes were sensational, bravo to the design and construction teams. The scenic design was inconsistent, as though it had been created by a committee, each location looking as though it had sprung from a different play. There was a stunning drop for the park scenes, but other than that the overall scenic effect was odd. The lighting design did nothing to help either the scenery or the performances. It was adequate, nothing more. Musical direction was excellent - bravo to the orchestra and musical direction team. The performances were uninspired, with the overall effect being that the actors were doing their jobs, nothing more. Predictable staging and choreography certainly didn't help. I was left with the feeling that no one had really thought about what the play was about. There seemed to have been plenty of time spent on things other than the story, so that the experience became one of hurtling through to the next song or dance or magic trick or flying trick without rhyme or reason. I wanted to be wowed and at the end I was a little bored. I would like to believe that this is an exception and that the Festival excels at many other things. I will look forward to coming back and seeing something entirely different and leaving with a higher opinion but for now I'm disappointed.

Dothan AL
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Mary Poppins - Exciting fun for the entire family!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We saw the performance of Mary Poppins with our extended family and friends on Aug 2 using a group rate of 30 per person. The performance was fantastic. It had me clapping and singing along with their famous tunes...even though I have to ask my iPhone to spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Haha! If you can get a ticket, go! You won't regret the fun evening.

Orlando
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Gorgeous and Professional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We have seen a few shows at the ASF and were blown away. The shows are of the highest calibre with fabulous actors, set, design, costumes and on and on. I didn't know anything about the festival, but upon arrival, the majesty of the building sets the scene for what to expect. It's amazing! Go see a show!

Georgiana, Alabama
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Mary Poppins”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I took my family to see Mary Poppins on July 25th. The show was very high quality. The actors never missed a beat, and the set was perfect. During intermission, they even served special drinks named for the play ($8 each). We all had a great time (hubby, me, and kids age 6-18). I would definitely recommend this play for anyone!

Montgomery, Alabama
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Absolutely fabulous time!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We went to see Mary Poppins and took 4 little girls! Was a very delightful show and was absolutely amazed at the performance. First class. Girls loved Mary Poppins going above the audience with her umbrella. Also, we weren't aware but on opening nights they serve desserts and champagne in the lobby. Had a great time with my little girl!

Visited July 2014

Been to Alabama Shakespeare Festival? Share your experiences!