“True Duck”

Cross street: Cloverdale Road and Graham Street
BIRMINGHAM
“True Duck”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I like duck, and if it’s on a restaurant menu I’ll often lean that way. I’m rarely disappointed (fact is, I’m easy to please). But it wasn’t until I had the duck at True that I realized how refined and far from the garden the duck in those other restaurants has become.

As I ate it seemed that here was duck that someone from the household had shot that morning (in the spirit of Catching Fire making a zillion bucks over the weekend, I’ll say it was the 14 year old eldest daughter of the house, up just before dawn, crunching lightly across the frost). Roasted and sliced over a bed of braised collards with a handful of baby heirloom carrots that her little brother pulled from the garden just before cooking. A dollop of mashed butternut squash and a spoonful of cherry compote that had been put up the previous fall. In the quiet of the softly appointed dining room it was easy to believe we were in that farmhouse at the big family table, rather than a chic restaurant in Montgomery.

When some of my favorite restaurant meals are impressing me with the way the flavors are balanced, I find myself thinking in awe, “How did they do that? How did they know to mix those ingredients in exactly those proportions?” I didn’t feel that way at True. It seemed obvious. Now my fantasy farm fades and I imagine Chef Wesley in the kitchen, the vegetables in front of him (that were, indeed, pulled from a garden that morning), and the duck laid out (which was, in fact, killed that morning not far from Montgomery), cooking and arranging almost without thinking about it. Just paying attention to the food and what it was and where it came from.

If there is a New Southern Cooking in Alabama, following the path that Frank Stitt started on 30 years ago, a way of thinking about food that marries the most iconic ingredients of the rural south with a global sensibility and technique, then this is one of its finest exemplars.

Visited November 2013

Montgomery, Alabama
“Date Night”
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

My Husband and I went out on a date night to True. It is located in the better part of Cloverdale in Montgomery. It's a romantic set up with live music and candlelights. There is a four course menu to choose from but I highly recommend going in with an empty stomach. You get quite a bit of food with the four courses. For our first and second courses, we decided to share; we ordered the spicy crawfish beignets for our first course, these were scrumptious!! It's bits of crawfish mixed with a spicy cream cheese and then battered and fried. My stomach doesn't handle too much fried foods but we got a plate with four so it was perfect. It came with Louisiana hot sauce to dip them in if needed for an extra kick. They were delicious!! For our second course, we opted for the cheese plate, this came on a cheese board with a mix of cream cheese and goat cheese Boursin. And also with a pimento cheese. Both house made. They both were divine. They also came with crunchy pita chips, some crackers and two pickled okras. We were pretty much full after this course. For our main course, I had ordered the grouper and my husband had the chicken and dumplings. Both were very filling and delicious. After we had finished the third course, we couldn't even think about dessert but when we heard the dessert menu, we couldn't pass it up either. We both decided to share the dark chocolate cake with homemade mint ice cream. It was a great pallet cleanser. And it left us with just enough sweetness for the night. (We are pretty big on sweets). The atmosphere was inviting and elegant, the service was wonderful. I believe our waitress was Amanda, she was a delight. We definitely will be going back. It was the perfect treat for the both of us after a hectic week.

Tacoma, Washington
“Amazing Brunch!”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Our son and daughter-in-law are talented at discovering the best places wherever they are stationed, which makes for a great experience when we visit them! True easily fits the "Best Places" category. We enjoyed an unforgettable Sunday Brunch, replete with impeccable, friendly service and first class cuisine.

While every dish our large group ordered was above average, our consensus was that the star of the menu was clearly the "Shrimp and Cheese Grits". If there is ever a law enacted which limits you to eating this Southern specialty in one restaurant for the rest of your lifetime, well, this is the place you should choose. Seriously, the four of us who ordered this dish became instant converts to the shrimp and cheese grits fan club, and the envy of our fellow diners. (Of course, we all shared the wealth!)

As if the weather, golf courses, and overall Southern Hospitality weren't enough to make my Spousal Unit and I seriously consider becoming "snowbirds" in Montgomery, Alabama, the prospect of being able to dine regularly at True is surely a clincher!

• Visited October 2013
Mountain Brook, Alabama
“The Best Fine Food In the City”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

True is heads and shoulders above anything else in Montgomery. The food quality and the imagination of the chef, Wesley True, are first class. Don't miss any of the seafood papillote offerings if you are fortunate to visit on a night when this is on the menu.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank cgall92016
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You can't miss this one”
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Went to True based on Trip Advisor recommendation. Traveling by myself I sat at the bar where the bartender started me out with a great "old fashion". Told her that it was my first time in Montgomery and I was looking for great southern cooking. She brought out the chef who after a couple of questions told me he was going to prepare a teasing menu for me. I can't begin to say what a great meal it was. The appetizer of fried chicken skin, crawfish beignets and fried heirloom okra was a great starter. Then came the heirloom tomato salad from local growers. The grilled amberjack was flaky and light in a broth. Then the shrimp and grits. Not being familiar with grits these were incredibly creamy. Bring on more! The last main dish was the roast duck breast. It was tender and moist and greasy at all. Loved it. I ended with flourless chocolate cake. It was light and they use a really dark chocolate and just the right amount of sweetness. Did I mention they paired every course with a wine for me. Great meal and solid wine list. If I ever come back True is on my list.

Visited October 2013