“Closed”

Cuisines: Chinese
San Antonio, Texas
“Closed”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Unfortunately Shanghai Garden just closed down. There were some new city ordinances on the smoke stacks that would have cost $600 every other month for inspection. City's shady way to get rid of businesses for new high price condos. Mark my words 3-5yrs.

Visited June 2014

Bel Air
“Mediocre at best”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The $7 buffet was well worth $5. Don't expect too much - very small and not many choices. No beef, pork or seafood - chicken only. There were about 8 customers and the food offerings were always empty.

• Visited August 2013
Montgomery, Alabama
“Where's the beef?!?!”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I have lived in Montgomery for 2 years now. The first time I tried the buffet back in November 2010, I remember the Shanghai Garden having more of a variety, including the very important item of any Chinese buffet or restaurant, beef! Since then the Shanghai Garden has gone downhill. I cannot remember the last time beef was at the buffet. The buffets verity and portions are lacking. They only put out enough food in each tray for maybe two individuals to take from. You find yourself waiting for items to be refilled. Also when you call for delivery or pickup it’s almost like gambling. If you ask for anything with beef, you will have a 80% chance of getting the response that they ran out of beef. The other gamble is the chef being there to prepare your order. I have seen reviews that Shanghai Garden is the best in town. Whoever wrote those reviews either have never eaten Chinese food at another location, have non-existent taste buds, or are directly affiliated with Shanghai Garden. Even the new location at Gunter Annex is lacking the option of beef, a buffet, options in what you want, and it costs near the same as a buffet. The food is fair; there are definitely better places to eat Chinese within the Montgomery area. There are many that share my viewpoint that it use to be much better and are also bringing back the famous question from the 80’s,“where’s the beef?!?!” If it wasn’t across from Maxwell AFB I doubt it would still be in business. It’s only a matter of time before the one at Gunter Annex is replaced with something else. It’s unfortunate because they have good customer service. I think they have lost touch with love of their product.

Visited September 2012
“Diamond in the rough!”
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Ok let me start off by saying this....when you drive-by...this place looks kind of scary! It's just the surrounding area that makes it look bad. Well while my hubby was doing some training at Maxwell AFB, some of his classmates had suggested that we give Shanghai Garden a chance. That is exactly what we did and boy it was great! We went during lunch and they had a lunch buffet going. When you walk in the door you start to feel the love right away from the owners! They are super friendly and are constantly asking to refill your drink etc. Shanghai Garden does their buffet a little different. When you go up to check out the selection, it looks like their is not a lot but the reason why they put so little out is because the cook makes smaller portions so that everything stays fresh. Once he sees something run out he right away brings out a fresh replacement. It seems like a lot of locals go this joint after church as well so that's always nice when you see that the locals eat there. For the 2 of us we usually pay 14 and some change including our drinks. Not bad! Overall this place is fabulous and as long as my hubby and I here we will be returning!

• Visited January 2012