“Worst Country I've stayed in, pretty bad”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Montgomery East
Ranked #51 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed 25 March 2008

Country Inns are my favorite chain by far, I've stayed at many and have never had a problem, till this one! Although it's got the wonderful "Country" feel (well appointed lobby, very welcoming), the property was very old and in need of attention. The neighborhood wasn't the greatest for a traveller (lots of businesses and a busy street, next to a lot of lower end hotel chains, the better chains were the next exit up the highway.)

Our 1st room was next to the side doors, which SLAMMED every few minutes as people came and went. We heard every single person that used the door. This problem could be solved with a simple pneumatic assembly to lightly shut the door (you've seen em everywhere). Anyway, the room itself was clean but felt very very old. While "clean", most of the bathroom was stained and discolored from years and years of use. The tub was gross, in desperate need of some bleech. The TV remote was duct taped shut and was covered in some sort of white goo.

After a few hours of the slamming we asked for another room. The lady up front sympathized with us and didn't question us at all, it seems like a common occurance. We moved up to the 2nd floor to discover the majority of the floor was rented out by a school group, meaning we were in for a long night! The walls and doors were so paper thin that we heard conversations that were literally hundreds of feet down the hall, and every time someone walked by, the floor creeked and the door rattled. The room was just as "old" feeling as the 1st, the bathroom in just as bad shape. The cabinet door for the fridge was broken off and laying there.

Anyway, it was not Countrys best Inn, in fact I'd venture to say it's one of their worst. I have given Country a lot of loyalty because they've always been top notch, but they majorly stumbled here. Time to sell the property and get a newer, better location, I wasnt even aware that Country operated places this old!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoshandIssa

Reviewed 1 January 2008

We stayed overnight in one of the whirlpool suites. Check in was fast & the suite was much larger than we expected. It included a refrigerator (small size), microwave, desk, coffee table, TV, sleeper sofa & small sink and bathroom sink in the 1st part of the room. Off of one side was the bathroom that had a whirlpool bathtub along with a separate shower & toilet. The bedroom you could separate by using a sliding door. It had a tv, night stands, desk, king sized bed & closet area. The bed was comfortable. The hotel had a large pool and a whirlpool. It also had a fitness center. We ate their free continental breakfast, which included pastries, muffins, pancakes, french toast, cereals, bread/bagels, oatmeal, waffles you could make yourself, sausage biscuits, etc. We had a nice stay & it is closeby a mall which is good sized, has a food court and has an indoor ice rink in it.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2007

We booked a 2.5 star thru Priceline for $60 thinking we'd get one of the Marriotts and ended up at this Country Inn & Suites. We were only staying for one night, on Thanksgiving, on our way to visit relatives.

Check-in was friendly and efficient. After a day of traveling, it was nice to see fresh coffee and cookies in the lobby area.

The room was clean and spacious. There was a fridge, microwave and sink in the room along with a nice desk with free wireless internet access. Also included were the typical shampoo and hand lotion plus use of their blow dryer which was basically an on-n-off model which we didn't use. Bedding was nice and comfortable. Climate control worked just fine. The shower was HOT with lots of water pressure and an adjustable shower head. Loved it! The bath tub area could have used a little remodel, but everything worked fine so I hate to be too picky.

There were plenty of restaurants nearby, but being Thanksgiving, a limited number were open. We ended up at Ruby Tuesday's (walking distance cutting thru the parking lot). Very convenient!!

The free breakfast was maybe a little below average. We're not exactly "health nuts" but it would've been nice to have a few healthier options like non-fat or lo-fat milk for cereal, non-fat yogurt or fresh fruit. Everything was a little on the "white flour & sugar" end of the spectrum. But hey, we ate the free cookies in the lobby the night before and loved 'em, so we can't complain!

We'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank SunDiego123
Reviewed 31 May 2007

Excellet value for the price we paid. The rooms were clean and fresh.
The staff was super friendly and my family and I had a wonderful time
staying at this hotel for 10 days.

My kids loved the indoor pool and hot tub. I really enjoyed the spacious rooms. We had a double suite where I could do work in one room with my kids watching tv in another.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2007

I am a regular now at CI&S and have stayed in Gainesville, Fla, Ocean Springs, Miss, New Orleans and now Montgomery.

I was a bit dismayed at this property but I suppose it has to do with more with the age of it than anything else. I chose them over Fairfield Inn due to the bed comfort and free breakfast.

Location is ok near Highway and other things but upon check-in to my non smoking room I had to immediately request another room due to the overwhleming smell of tobacco smoke. Room 130 changed to room 201. This room was better and if I had not stayed a newer CS&I locations I guess for $95.00 this would have been above average.

Rooms are rundown and old looking, reminding me of a campground cabin. Still appointed ok with free internet, microwave, fridge and a sofa. TV old, blankets on bed old and crusty, just an old feeling hotel.

Also, I did not have dinner so tried to get Trail Mix out of vending machine and the package got hung up. Front desk gave me my dollar back and I got the trail mix to find out it had expired in Oct 2006. Yuck. The vending machine had not been serviced in months. A bit gross.

Breakfast was good as usual and had ample variety, although I do suggest to them all that English Muffins are a welcome sight. They did not have the omlettes you get in Gainesville but did have plenty to choose from.

Fitness room ok and indoor heated pool was a nice addition if you want it.

I will give this location a C, only due to others in the chain I have stayed in. Otherwise maybe a C+.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank GulfCoastGuy
Reviewed 19 September 2006

good location, very safe and all the resturants and shopping you would need. there was a problem with door slamming starting early in the morning and going all day. dont even try to sleep in.
could not get the wireless to work on the 3 rd floor. call the hotel directly and you can save, rate was 95 on internet we talked to gilda and got it for 75. Nice pool but parking was very tight. I would stay again but mainly because of the location.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank rodney735
Reviewed 28 August 2006

Stayed here for two nights on business after my travel agent booked the hotel. I was a little apprehensive about staying at a hotel near the highway because I prefer to stay in City Center--but I'm really glad I stayed here b/c it was so convenient to travel to the various parts of greater Montgomery/Atlanta/Selma area since Montgomery is such a sprawling city now. You are right on highway I-85/65 and the area around the hotel is near many restaurants and shopping centers. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I liked the fact the hotel had a business center with a color printer and fresh cookies waiting for you at the front desk!
The room I had must have been a king suite. It was a very spacious and clean room on the third floor. The microwave and fridge was really useful. I didn't bring my laptop, but if I had, the work area in the room and free wifi were nice touches for this business traveler.
At check out, the new computer transition made an error on my bill and charged me for 2 extra nights. Since I had to catch a plane in 45 minutes--the person at the front desk made a copy of the bill for me and took down my contact info. I called the next day to speak with manager and she adjusted my bill and faxed over the new bill that reflected the changes. So the hotel was pretty efficient in addressing my problems.

A great stay overall.