“Although not bad, just a bit disappointing”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Montgomery East
Ranked #47 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Huntsville, Alabama
“Although not bad, just a bit disappointing”
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I stay at this hotel as a lay over during a road trip. The hotel is nice and clean and appears nice from the outside. The desk clerk who checked me in was exceptional and even through I was tired, she managed to make me smile and was most helpful. The very pleasant attitude was most appreciated. All was well until 6 am the next morning when the cleaning staff decided to wake everyone up with loud music and talking. This was the first hotel I have ever stayed in that the staff decided when everyone should wake up, especially on a Saturday morning. Trying to check out was another disappointing experience and it took over 15 minutes with no one else in line but me, for them to figure out how I could get a receipt for my stay. The hotel management, in their defense, did contact me and let me know that the concerns that troubled me would be addressed with the staff. That was great but it did nothing to help my disturbed sleep and my late start on my continued road trip.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Bob G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Montgomery East, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Lantis34,
Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. We understand how important a quiet environment is and apologizefor the early morning noise. Your feedback helps us prevent situations such as this in the future. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your disappointment further. We hope you will give us another chance if you are in the area again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Washington DC
Reviewed 11 January 2013

In a holiday road trip through the southern states, this stay was a little disappointing. Things got off to a bad start when we were sent to a non-smoking room which reeked of cigarettes. Eventually they put us in the same room one floor down and while it was smoke free, it still smelled a little stale and unwelcoming. On the plus side, the room was large and the beds and bathroom were clean, but the under-window heater was noisy, so not very relaxing. Wi-fi was free and worked fine. Breakfast was also included and had the usual choice of cereals, bagels and pastries plus a hot dish and fruit. So not a disaster, just an average stay in an average roadside hotel. I guess if you put "by Carlson" in the hotel's title you create expectations which weren't realized here.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Scot_Wha's_Away
Bob G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Montgomery East, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Dear Scot_Wha's_Away,
We regret to hear about your disappointment in the room you received. We apologize for having to change rooms. We attempt to fulfill each of our guest’s requests to the best of our ability. Glad to hear you found the room spacious and clean, liked the free Wi-Fi. Prior to your next stay, we welcome you to contact us so we may discuss your accommodations in detail.
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 7 December 2012

With one rare exception (not here!), these are great hotels with very nice rooms at a great price. The hot breakfast was terrific!

There consistency and predictability is A+, and by by-far 'top-of-class'.

These are always HOTELS (not sometimes "motels", like most competitors in this price range) and are very, very consistent with there newness and quality. Maybe the MOST unappreciated chain.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Bob G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Montgomery East, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
Dear Jack S.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites-Montgomery East we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!
Pelahatchie
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My son and I stayed here overnite. Everyone was really nice. We ate breakfast there, which was good and convenient. The room was clean and the bed good. Appears to be a new hotel. I recommend this hotel. Good neighborhood, off and on the Interstate easily. We will stay again when in this area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear dbzrb,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I always book a 2 ½* hotel with a little trepidation because I never know what I’ll get. I’m here to report that Country Inn & Suites exceeded my expectations. While a few things in common areas seemed a little cheap, the big surprise was the room. Not only was it nice, but it was HUGE! Upon entering the room there was a small kitchenette to the left, with a long counter top, microwave, mini refrigerator, coffee maker and sink. On the opposite wall was a desk for office work. To the right was a living room with a love seat that converted to a sofa bed, an easy chair and several tables and lamps – lots of space. The bedroom area was also spacious and pretty standard. I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable the pillows and mattress were, providing a great night’s sleep. The bathroom itself was tiny with the vanity outside.

Little things separate this from being a more upscale lodging – a noisy exhaust in the bathroom, amenities that are pretty common, like Vaseline lotion and Pantene shampoo and conditioner, and doors that slam shut loudly and shake surrounding rooms. Lesser construction standards allow noise to reverberate to surrounding rooms. It was hard to miss the room across from me with young girls, screaming, crying kids and babies and slamming doors. Budget pricing common to this type of hotel appeals to families. An extra-long cord on the iron was a nice touch, however. On Sunday morning the elevator broke down, stranding a few people and requiring a rescue from the fire department!

My expectations of a free hotel breakfast are pretty low and some things met those low expectations while others exceeded them. I opened a chafer to encounter little yellow disks wondering, “What is this, pineapple?” Yikes, those are the eggs. Horrid. Potatoes come frozen in a pouch and are heated, but the sausage was good. There was a cool self-serve waffle making station and offering sugar free syrup was a nice touch as was Quaker Oats oatmeal. Overall, the breakfast options were pretty extensive with bananas, cut fruit, three different juices, four cold cereals, donuts, bagels and toast. With a little care you can put together a decent breakfast.

BTW, both the Hyundai plant in Montgomery and the Kia plant in LaGrange, GA use this hotel to lodge visiting managers from Korea, which explains the two Korean newspapers in the lobby and five Korean tv channels.

The hotel more than met my needs and even surprised me. I’ll continue to take a chance on 2 ½* hotels based on my positive experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank William T
Sheena G, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Montgomery East, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear atlhppwt,

Thank you for taking the ttime to write a review on your recent visit.
Guest feedback is always welcomed and appreciated as they help us stay connected to our guests and realize which areas we need improvement on.
Your comments will be shared with the staff in our upcoming meeting. We are glad to be such a "pleasant surprise."
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This is our first time staying at this hotel. We were looking for a place that had free breakfast, which they did. It was pretty good. We did not go into the hotel because the pool was very hot. The room was very nice and the staff was very friendly. The rate was also good. We would definately go her again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear LRC 1957,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit.
Guest comments are always appreciated. It is always rewarding to receive positive feedback.
You can be assured that your review will be shared with our staff; we are very pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast, rooms and especially your kind comments regarding our staff. Thanks again!
Gilbert, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 26 July 2012

this was a terrible experience. There was only one handicapped room with double beds. After getting my terminally ill father settled in bed, we discovered that the bathroom was in fested with ants. I attempted to look for a solution with the front desk, but he was no help, simply complaining that his manager was not available for his help. The hotel is dirty and the furnishings are old. The satellite TV was going out with no apparent weather issues in the area. Flat screen, but not HDTV. overall a horrible stay - ruined my first impression of this hotel chain. I would never recommend this place. They need a MAJOR remodel and new staff.

Room Tip: check the room for ants - especially in the bathroom