Dexter Parsonage Museum - Dr. Martin Luther King home
and up
Mystery Tour in Montgomery AL
Ranked #1 of 73 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: Martin Luther King's residence from September 1954 to February 1960.
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Shirley Cherry (our guide) leads a unique experience. She teaches, preaches and challenges you as you tour the parsonage. She packs a great deal into the tour. With her stories, history comes alive and becomes relevant. Without question, this is the best tour I have ever had.

5  Thank Mark S
All reviews
"shirley cherry"
in 116 reviews
"the kitchen"
in 36 reviews
"martin luther king"
in 38 reviews
"the civil rights movement"
in 60 reviews
in 8 reviews
"first hand"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Shirley Cherry and her colleagues are living national treasures! Absolutely gifted story-tellers and exceptionally warm hosts, they make the visit to MLK's Dexter Parsonage home a memorable event. We've lived around the world and been to a lot of museums, but this is a very special, emotionally charged experience. It feels very intimate to stand in MLK's kitchen while listening to a CD of his sermon about the history-making revelation he received in that very spot late one night. Highly, highly recommended.

An extra bonus: They told us about the barbershop on the next block where MLK's barber still works, so after our visit we walked over and my husband got his hair trimmed at Nelson Malden's shop while we listened to his stories about MLK. Priceless. (I can't believe it's not listed here as one of the recommended "Things to Do" in Montgomery!)

4  Thank mirulhi
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Don't miss this amazing experience of visiting The Dexter Parsonage Museum and Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church. My daughter and I visited on August 29, 2013 and the experience was incredible. Mrs. Cherry stories sent chills all over me.She is amazing and eloquent. Her description was so touching, I could feel the presence of Dr. King. This was my first time visiting Montgomery.

2  Thank Marilyn S
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Fantastic visit, met some great people there and had a tour around the house by a lady who knew Martin Luther King personally. Wow!

1  Thank Hannah M
See more reviews
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I visited the Dexter Parsonage Museum & Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church, and had the honour of Ms. Cherry as host guide for my visit to Dr. King's residence during his years in Montgomery. The house, within the compact downtown area of Montgomery, is furnished as it was in the 50's, and it is fascinating to walk through - more so because of Shirley's eloquent descriptions of MLK's life and self-doubts during this turbulent period. Highly recommended.

3  Thank Aussie_Ostrich