Dexter Parsonage Museum - Dr. Martin Luther King home
and up
Full Day Black History Day Trip to Alabama Sites
Ranked #1 of 73 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: Martin Luther King's residence from September 1954 to February 1960.
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We just toured the parsonage where MLK stayed as he was a pastor of Dexter Community Church. We are humbled by the bravery of Dr. King. A touching tour and a great lesson for our children. Our guide, a retired teacher, did a fabulous jobs sharing history from her point of view.

2  Thank Laurie9722

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Our dear guide, a retired schoolteacher, was a member of the congregation when Dr King preached at the Dexter St Baptist Church.
She brought the tour a lot of credibility. My husband and I were alone with her on the tour and I was close to tears several times as she explained the importance of this particular site. When the woman in the gift shop invited us to church with them the next day we would have LOVED to go. Unfortunately we had to drive back to St. Louis that day.

2  Thank Margaret M
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Ms. Shirley Cherry guided Elon University's Leadership Fellows through the Dexter Parsonage and this was a trip that will not be forgotten. The home was gorgeous and felt as if Dr. King himself was about to walk back through the front door at any minute. Ms. Cherry makes you feel like you are part of the history of the home with the way she explains the impact that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his family had on the world. Being able to stand in the King's kitchen was inspiring. Witnessing the very table where he received his revelation was something I will never forget. I absolutely loved this tour!

5  Thank Dawson N
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Over several days we visited Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthplace and Ebeneezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, then visited Dexter Avenue Baptist Church, then the Dexter Parsonage. This combination was very powerful, working together, in helping change many of my perceptions about the civil rights movement. Of all these places, I felt like this tour helped me to understand how difficult it was for those involved in that movement, and particularly MLK. To see the place where a bomb went off intended to take his life, to learn of his epiphany when he thought about quitting to protect his family, then realizing he had the strength and courage to go on, and to listen to his words describe that event while we sat in the room where the event happened - very powerful.

The home itself is not fancy and there are not any wonderful signs, but the events that happened there are powerful. Very glad to have made this visit.

4  Thank Robert C
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I had the great opportunity to visit the Parsonage on MLK day, what wonderful timing.

The house is nicely preserved. Though people lived in the house after King, they brought it back to approximately how it was during his residency. Be aware, however, that many of the decorations were not King's but are simply period-appropriate.

My guide was nice but didn't have a whole lot of stories to bring things to life, which other reviewers seem to have had.

1  Thank rustymambo