“Top-notch quality”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Montgomery
Ranked #3 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I found the Homewood Suites of Montgomery to be very luxurious and relaxing. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and emasculate. I especially enjoyed the kid-friendly swimming pool with my five year old son. The food was delicious, the service was extemporary, and the accommodations were outstanding.

Room Tip: Every room is great, but since the elevator gets a lot of traffic, I recommend the first floor for e...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jerome D
Jason D, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Montgomery, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Jerome D,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to hear that you had a great stay with us on your recent trip to Montgomery. I will be certain to share your kind remarks to the staff as they certainly appreciate the kudos!

Thanks again and hope to see you on your next trip to Montgomery!

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Our family stopped here on our way to the beach. The room they gave us was very well equiped with a frig, microwave, dishes, table and chairs. It was very roomy, comfortable, clean. We had our dog with us and there was a nice area for dog walking with provided supplies for cleaning up. It's close to the expressway but in a very quiet business park. Lots of choices for the free breakfast. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jomart_10
Reviewed 9 July 2012

What a wonderful, homey place to stay!!! The customer service was fabulous and the special touches made it feel like home. The dinner that they serve on weekday evenings was fantastic and the cook was very attentive. We would stay there again!!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank maddieabby
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Upon arrival, the front of the hotel looks very nice. The lobby of the hotel looks fine. It's decor presents kind of a cabin feel to it. That is pretty much where the pleasantness of the stay ended for us. Now let me first say, I realize when you book a room and request early check-in it is not guaranteed, which is why your reservation asks you to call the hotel directly to confirm. So, here is a little back ground on the request. I called the hotel the night before our arrival to ask if early check-in would be available to us. The individual that answered the phone instructed me to call back the next morning when the morning crew was working, and they could let housekeeping know to have the room ready. I called back the next morning around 9 a.m. and spoke with Justin or Jason, whom I informed I had spoken with an employee of the hotel the previous evening, who instructed me to call back to request early check-in. After informing the hotel representative that we would be arriving sometime between 12:30 - 1:00 p.m. and asking if early check-in would be possible, he said it would be no problem, and he would notify housekeeping to have the room ready. When we arrived at 12:50 p.m. the room was not ready. Justin decided to go ahead and check us in so once the room was ready we could just proceed to our room. Upon checking in he provided me a slip of paper to initial and sign, and when I asked him what it was, he told me that it was so the hotel could place a $50 hold on the credit card for incidentals if we had any. He also stated "it is only if you are using a debit or ATM card, but since you are using a credit card it will not apply." Needless to say, several hours later upon checking my credit card, the hotel had already placed a charge for not only the FULL amount of the hotel stay for 4 days, but an additional $50. Upon discovering this I contacted the front desk, where I was told the employee has only been there a few weeks and provided the incorrect information. Approximately 45 minutes after completed checking in we were told we could proceed to our suite. Upon entering the room, there was a musty, unpleasant odor, but we could easily combat that with Febreeze so we didn't worry about it. The furniture in the room was very dated, and although it was a suite it was extremely small in size compared to most 1 bedroom suites we have stayed in. Upon walking in to the bathroom the first thing I noticed was the mold in the grout, the debris build up around the end caps of the handicap bar in the shower, the shower head plate falling off the wall and a nasty build up of filth on the floor at both corners of the shower. (see pictures) At this point it wasn't looking good. As my son went to sit on the sofa in the living room area he nearly sunk to the floor in the center of the sofa. (see pictures) At this point we pretty much decided it was definitely not worth the money we paid but we would try to stick it out as we had already been informed the hotel was completely booked when we arrived and we had not time to go looking for somewhere else to stay. As my husband was sitting in the chair in the living room area, my son pointed out some dark stains dripped down the side of the chair which looked to be dried blood or something of that nature. (see pictures) I found a housekeeper in the hall and brought her in to show her the stains, she acknowledged them and left. Needless to say we avoided the chair the rest of our stay. The list of issues continued. I requested extra towels when booking the room and it is also a preference on my Hilton Honors account, so, when I noticed not only were there no extra towels, but there were not enough towels for the three of us to begin with, I immediately contacted the front desk to request more. After an hour past and no towels were brought, I called the desk again and then the towels arrived within 15 minutes or so. At this point I thought, how much worse could it get? Well, it did get worse. Upon taking a shower I discovered that the water was not draining at all and since the water was to my knees I had to end the shower. I called the front desk regarding the situation and maintenance had to come in to the room to drain the water form the tub and correct the issue before anyone else could use the shower. Other problems consisted of the duvet covers having some sort of stains on them, so we simply placed them on the floor and did not use them at all. The hot breakfast was not hot at all, but they did have a microwave, so you could heat your food if you desired. The food was edible and that was pretty much all it was. I have stayed in quite a few Hilton brand hotels, and most of the time the free hotel breakfast makes even a bad experience a bit forgivable, however, that was not the case this time. The fitness room consist of 2 treadmills and a elliptical machine and the outdoor pool was very small. Upon check-out I informed the lady at the front desk of all the issues and told her I very displeased with the accommodations, her response was I will inform maintenance, sorry for the problems. So much for the "Hilton Guarantee." The only thing I can say about this particular hotel is simply, stay away, find a hotel. There are some much nicer hotels in the downtown area I am told. I have stayed in quite a few Hilton brand hotels, this one was the worst yet. I really used to love Hiltons brand, but that is rapidly changing.

Room Tip: The only tip I can truly provide for this hotel, is to tip away and find some where else to stay.
1  Thank RileyPA
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

RileyPA,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry to hear about the experiences regarding your recent stay with us and i'd love the opportunity to speak with you about it. Reviews and comments are very valuable to us as the feedback we receive is often very constructive and tangible, as in this case. I would encourage any guest to speak with me during or following their stay on any improvements that we can make or kudos to spread around. Rest assured that we will resolve the issues you encountered as I shared your comments with our entire team this morning as we want to make sure future guests do not have a similar experience. We take mis-steps like these seriously and will address them internally.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

We have stayed at Homewood Suites many times before and never been disappointed...until we stayed here! We were expecting a clean and nice room, and edible food, we got neither.

When we arrived, I asked for a crib for our room. The first one they brought smelled so badly of urine that I literally gagged. The thought of putting my baby in that crib, made me feel sick. When I called the front desk, they brought another one and said, "this one should be better." To me, this indicates, that they knew the first one was going to be bad and still brought it to our room. The cribs were Graco Pack and Plays which are fine to use in your own home, however, because they are all fabric they lack the ability to be completely sterilized. I would recommend investing in some cribs and rubber mattresses that can be completely wiped down. Other Homewood Suites that I have stayed in do this and it seems to work much better and is cleaner and hygienic.

Next, the first room we had was filthy! There was actually what appeared to be cat litter in the corner of the room and on the couch. Now, one thing I appreciate about the Homewood Suites is that they allow pets. However, upon charging a $100 pet fee at this particular hotel, one would think they could clean the rooms more thoroughly. Guests who bring pets deserve the same quality and cleanliness as those guests who do not bring pets.

Lastly, the food on our visit was terrible. I understand that providing dinner in a hotel is a huge bonus and most hotels do not provide this. However, if food is provided, it should be served in a cleanly manner and at least hot. Both our dinner and breakfast were not good.

As I mentioned were severely disappointed. This hotel is not a good representation of both the Hilton Chain or Homewood Suites. I would recommend staying in Homewood Suites, just not THIS Homewood Suites. If you are going to be in the Montgomery area, try the Embassy Suites. They accept pets, have a wonderful breakfast buffet and provide clean and hygienic rooms.

Room Tip: Don't stay here! Stay at Embassy Suites in Montgomery!!!
2  Thank NinaP22
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

NinaP22,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I too am disappointed with the experiences you encountered during your recent stay with us. All of the items you mentioned are not our property standard for any of our guests. The feedback that you provided is very valuable for our team to learn from and re-group. I would love for the opportunity to speak with you about this at your convenience. Please give me a call at the hotel as i'd love to speak with you.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

We've stayed here twice now as we were breaking up the long drive down I65 to the Gulf. This hotel is at a perfect spot if you're looking for an overnight stay before you head on to the beach. Had mixed results with the front desk and the Internet access in the business center was down, but the facility and location made up for the faults. The rooms with a kitchenette are great (and having a ceiling fan in the bedroom is terrific). Tons of dining options closeby. Surprisingly good breakfast buffet (although there was a big crowd and it was pretty crazy). Due to size restrictions the hotel has a small outdoor pool with only four lounge chairs, so plan accordingly. Otherwise this is a great place to push off toward the beach!

Reviewed 12 June 2012

Clean, comfortable, with plenty of space in our room, this hotel went above and beyond in meeting our needs. The kitchen was equipped with a full-size refrigerator and stove, the living room well-furnished, and the bed very comfortable. Onsite laundry was helpful as we were there for several days. Hot breakfast was quite good each morning, and a small dinner was provided free of charge weeknights, which was a real money saver. The hotel staff went above and beyond in meeting our needs, and were friendly, polite and professional. While the hotel is pet friendly, they do charge a $100 non-refundable pet fee for your stay, which took us by surprise. We could not find this exorbitant fee listed anywhere on the hotel web site, nor was it mentioned in our reservation confirmation.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room if traveling with pets in this 3-story hotel.
Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family