“Smart decision”

Ranked #109 of 475 Restaurants in Montgomery
Price range: US$0 - US$18
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Reviewed 17 April 2014

While my sister and I visited Dad in Montgomery, we had the chance to eat out a few times. Dad and his retired friends like this place, but I don't know why. Our waiter tossed napkins at us like he was dealing cards and then proceeded to tell us how he was making money playing poker. When he delivered the ice tea he spilled it. Dad ordered the chicken with 3 vegetable sides. When it arrived, it was hard to tell the vegetables apart. Dad said the chicken was a little tough and didn't finish it. I had French onion soup which I didn't finish either-cheese was heavy thick rubber. We couldn't get our waiter's attention so I had to get up to ask for ice tea refills. The manager/owner(?) seemed to be preoccupied talking to a sales man with a clip board while they stood in middle of the entrance walk way. My sister had stayed outside to finish several work related phone conversations and joined us late. She decided not to order. Smart decision.

2  Thank Kim F

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The chopped steak was so dry you DAD to dip/sunk/immerse the meat in the tiny bowl of au jus. Otherwise some would be calling 911. The cornbread muffin was stone cold. The squash casserole was really egg casserole with a little squash. The fried okra was fair. The mashed potatoes had no taste and were barely Luke warm. It was a wretched lunch experience. Please don't go here for lunch. Travel to Gail's Down the Street. You won't be disappointed there.

1  Thank Whynoteat
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I am reviewing strictly for fried oyster lovers and crab claw lovers! Their oysters are huge and fried to perfection! 2 for 1 crab claws during the week from 3-7 dine in. Their claws are so delishious!

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Sommer's Place is a local cafe serving lunch and dinner in a neighborhood strip mall. We have eaten there many times, and for the most part, we have been very pleased. It can seat well over a hundred patrons, but the area is divided into three areas and a small bar so even when full, usually at lunch, it does not feel crowded. At lunch a meat and three is a very popular item, but the menu contains numerous salads, sandwiches, hamburgers, and entrees. It is not very imaginative, but the food is good and the portions are generous. At the peak of the lunch hour, you might have to wait a short time for a table. The dinner menu contains many of the items on the lunch menu (not the meat and three) and additional entrees, including shrimp and steaks. A popular attraction early during the dinner hour is a quarter or half pound of crab claws for half price. Sommer's Place is a family owned business, father, son, and daughter, and one is always present to manage it first hand. Their presence adds a nice touch and keeps up the quality of the establishment. Service can be up and down, but it is nice to have it in the neighborhood, and I recommend that you try it if you are in the area.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

I know it was probably at least 5 years ago since my husband and I visited Sommer's Place but our experience was so bad we will never step foot back in the place. Sommer's Place did not take reservations when we visited for my birthday. We knew we were in for a long wait but we knew it would be worth it. After waiting close to an hour, we were finally next up for a table for two. At that moment, two older men walked up to the front where they were taking names on their list. The hostess and a couple of other employees were falling all over themselves to greet the men. They were offered OUR TABLE! My husband and I looked at each other with our jaws hanging open. If it had not been my birthday, we would have just walked out right then. Well, we waited another 15 minutes and were finally seated. Our waitress was very friendly and sort of made up for the actions of the other employees. However, neither of us really enjoyed the meal because we were treated like we were less than the two men who waltzed right in and took our table. I thought maybe with time we would get over it, but nope, it still rates up there with our worst ever dining experiences. Sommer's Place, either take reservations or make EVERYONE wait their turn.