Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center
Ranked #26 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We attended a wedding in the Montgomery area and stayed at Embassy Suites. The location was great and within walking distance to the downtown area. The check-in, the gentleman who carried our luggage to our room, and the overall lobby area were great. We ate the breakfast buffet both mornings and it was above average, as well as the complimentary drinks and snacks in the bar area during the evening hospitality time. The negatives were the tired-looking and stained carpet in the hallways, our uncomfortable kingsize bed, and we never had maid service even though we were gone from our room for extended periods of time during the day. Our bed had a huge dip in the middle and the linens were obviously old. Our top sheet had a hole in it. Our daughter stayed on the pull-out sofa and the mattress pad had a huge stain on it. When we requested fresh linens however, the staff was very quick to provide them. We would stay at this property again, but attention really needs to be given to room updates.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 October 2009

Traveling thru the area on the way home from a Florida beach trip. Found this place via priceline - it is the only 3* on their site. We were pleasantly surprised. It is a large older hotel with center atrium and the rooms looking out over it. It has been renovated and the beds, furniture were nice. The rooms are suite style with a separate living room and pull out sofa.

It is downtown and they were having a music festival in the street but still found a parking place. They charge $5 a day for it.

We couldn't hear the street noise once we got inside. The breakfast buffet is included in the price and has made to order eggs and plenty of other choices. Good service in the dining area.

No free Internet in the rooms so we had to go to the business center. That was the only negative.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I have been staying at this hotel for a number of years, because it seemed to be the best-quality place in downtown Montgomery. In the past year it has been eclipsed by the new Renaissance Hotel & Spa across the street, and this is the first time I have stayed at the Embassy Suites since the competition arrived.

My first impression this trip was not positive. I had the misfortune of arriving on the same day as a major college football team, so parking was a serious problem. There are some parking spots right in front of the hotel, but most of the parking has always been in a larger parking lot right across from those spaces. On this trip, I found the front spaces filled and the larger parking lot barricaded, with signs posted that access is now only by room key. Having not yet checked in to receive a room key, I called and asked a staff member where I should park to check in. I was told to park under the awning in front of the hotel--an awning with pillars featuring large red stop signs warning you NOT to park under the awning, as it is a fire lane, and that violators would be towed. A police truck sat ominously near the awning and made me nervous. But the annoyed staffer was insistent, so I parked under the awning while I ran inside to check in...the car was not towed, thank goodness! But it seemed like an unnecessary hassle. Parking is now $5 per day (if I recall correctly, it used to be free).

I have always been pleased with the hotel's cleanliness, and this experience was no exception. Towels, sheets, pillows, etc. were all spotless. Sometimes I've found an item or two that is still soiled or has someone else's hair on it, but not this trip. The hotel does show signs of its age. Fixtures, carpets, and wallpaper have all seen better days, and a renovation would do the place a world of good. I like the "homey" charm of the wood-encased standard definition tv, because I have a certain nostalgia for the days when televisions looked like furniture, but it also helps to underscore the age of the place and how long it's been since the decor has changed.

Breakfast is decent, and served buffet style. It is included with the room. There is a made-to-order omelette station that does a fair job, and a decent selection of scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits, sausage gravy, fruit, yogurt, and juice. Not all of the plates and silverware are ever clean, but most of them are. I always enjoy the dining area, which features a soothing "stream" and some nicely-placed vegetation.

I was pleased with my stay here, but it is difficult to find reasons beyond familiarity and slightly reduced cost to choose this hotel over the new Renaissance. I expect that I will stay here again in the future, but I would like to see the place brought up to a more modern standard.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank mdyank
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We stopped here on our way back from New Orleans. The hotel is located downtown next to Union Station on the Alabama River. Its set up like all embassy suites. Our room was clean. Yes, the decor/furniture is beginning to look a little dated (like all embassy suites). The fact that the rooms are so large, makes it not such a big deal.

It looks like they are revitalizing the downtown area and I'd bet in a few years it will be wonderful. There's a riverboat, amphitheater, and minor league baseball stadium in the hotel's vicinity. Not real sure about restaurant options, we ended up eating at the hotel restaurant (good grilled chicken salad). We also made it in time for the manager's reception. The beer came straight out of the tap/keg and was plenty cold! Breakfast was fine, the hot food was a little on the cool side though. I didn't see any instances of people overcrowding rooms and taking advantage of the complimentary drinks/food.

I think the Embassy Suites is a fine option should your travels take you to Montgomery.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for two nights. It was a beautiful hotel and very clean. We had brought our dog, a Shih Tzu, along on the trip and were worried she would pick up fleas from the carpet. That has happened before at other hotels that were pet friendly. It didn't happen. The carpet was clean and we had a wonderful stay with the pooch along. The room service food was excellent and the staff friendly. We were right downtown.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2009

A great place! Stayed here on a girl's weekend trip for a concert at the amphitheatre (right across the street) !! Very clean and confortable room, great breakfast buffet, very friendly front desk staff who were also very accomodating. Only complaint we would have is the bartender was not friendly at all and seemed as if she had a "gun to her head" to wait on us and anyone else at the bar for that matter. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2009

reservations made a month in advance 4 adults, 2 kids non-smoking. stopover for springbreak. arrived 9:30 am and was told that room might be ready at 1 however not to count on it. we figured we may not b able to check in so asked what was around to do and where to go for breakfast. was told to leave take two lefts and a right to get to ihop approx. 10 min away. was clear across town. have never been to montgomery before. came back and asked about our 2 teens using the pool and inquired @ union station next door. did allow kids to use pool hesitantly and said there was nothing at union station. sat with kids for while in pool area then decided to go check union station out myself. found that this is the visitors center and a beautiful walkway and park behind and river boat and a restauraunt also: leks thai food. which i highly recommend. great owner, staff and food. now after browsing around and husbands sitting in lobby (across from checkin) another family comes in @ noon and was also told their room would b ready at 1. and at 1 this family got their room, then another family walked in behind and they got their room. mind u we are sitting in lobby across from checkin. we got in line behind 2nd family that just walked in and when we checked in got a smoking room because no more nonsmoking was available and tried to increase rate because said total people with reservation was less. we were treated horribly for no reason. our accomdations were not satisfactory. stood in line at cafe for supper for while then manager walks over to everyone very coldly and says it would be at least an hour before seated and not sure how long it would be for food. and walked away. have stayed at many hotels before and have stayed at embassys, never in our life has treatment been this bad. we had traveled all nite and did not want to change hotel at additional cost. was not offered anything because of smoking room, mgr.tried to say reservation was made as smoking, no one smoked, 2 teens and one pregnant, why would we want smoking. this hotel really needs an inspection of staff and accommadations. and montgomery really has nothing else to offer after taking the trolly tour. would recommend trying the spa hotel across street.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends