“Clean Hotel, Large Suites, and a Relaxed Atmosphere in Downtown Montgomery”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center
Ranked #26 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Our family was traveling through for a Winter Vacation in the South, so we chose the Embassy Suites in downtown Montgomery for a stopover. It was very clean, with a relaxed atmosphere. We were able to use the exercise facilities, jaccuzzi, and pool, which were all open, available, and uncrowded in the early evening. The suite rooms were comfortable, a good size to accommodate our older teenage kids. The rooms open to a beautiful large atrium just like the typical Embassy Suites hotels, and the hallways were being repainted so it was apparent that they are trying to upgrade and keep up with renovations.
The breakfast was very nice, plenty of options, and the omelet chef was very cheerful and interactive with the guests. What a pleasant atmosphere for our family's first night stopover. The one thing I wish they would change is that they charged us a nominal $5.00 per night parking fee. No big deal, but they should just increase their prices by $5.00 so it doesn't feel like they are trying to nickel and dime their clientele. Everything else at this hotel was really nice.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank typomonkey

Reviewed 17 October 2009

We attended a wedding in the Montgomery area and stayed at Embassy Suites. The location was great and within walking distance to the downtown area. The check-in, the gentleman who carried our luggage to our room, and the overall lobby area were great. We ate the breakfast buffet both mornings and it was above average, as well as the complimentary drinks and snacks in the bar area during the evening hospitality time. The negatives were the tired-looking and stained carpet in the hallways, our uncomfortable kingsize bed, and we never had maid service even though we were gone from our room for extended periods of time during the day. Our bed had a huge dip in the middle and the linens were obviously old. Our top sheet had a hole in it. Our daughter stayed on the pull-out sofa and the mattress pad had a huge stain on it. When we requested fresh linens however, the staff was very quick to provide them. We would stay at this property again, but attention really needs to be given to room updates.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Traveling thru the area on the way home from a Florida beach trip. Found this place via priceline - it is the only 3* on their site. We were pleasantly surprised. It is a large older hotel with center atrium and the rooms looking out over it. It has been renovated and the beds, furniture were nice. The rooms are suite style with a separate living room and pull out sofa.

It is downtown and they were having a music festival in the street but still found a parking place. They charge $5 a day for it.

We couldn't hear the street noise once we got inside. The breakfast buffet is included in the price and has made to order eggs and plenty of other choices. Good service in the dining area.

No free Internet in the rooms so we had to go to the business center. That was the only negative.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I have been staying at this hotel for a number of years, because it seemed to be the best-quality place in downtown Montgomery. In the past year it has been eclipsed by the new Renaissance Hotel & Spa across the street, and this is the first time I have stayed at the Embassy Suites since the competition arrived.

My first impression this trip was not positive. I had the misfortune of arriving on the same day as a major college football team, so parking was a serious problem. There are some parking spots right in front of the hotel, but most of the parking has always been in a larger parking lot right across from those spaces. On this trip, I found the front spaces filled and the larger parking lot barricaded, with signs posted that access is now only by room key. Having not yet checked in to receive a room key, I called and asked a staff member where I should park to check in. I was told to park under the awning in front of the hotel--an awning with pillars featuring large red stop signs warning you NOT to park under the awning, as it is a fire lane, and that violators would be towed. A police truck sat ominously near the awning and made me nervous. But the annoyed staffer was insistent, so I parked under the awning while I ran inside to check in...the car was not towed, thank goodness! But it seemed like an unnecessary hassle. Parking is now $5 per day (if I recall correctly, it used to be free).

I have always been pleased with the hotel's cleanliness, and this experience was no exception. Towels, sheets, pillows, etc. were all spotless. Sometimes I've found an item or two that is still soiled or has someone else's hair on it, but not this trip. The hotel does show signs of its age. Fixtures, carpets, and wallpaper have all seen better days, and a renovation would do the place a world of good. I like the "homey" charm of the wood-encased standard definition tv, because I have a certain nostalgia for the days when televisions looked like furniture, but it also helps to underscore the age of the place and how long it's been since the decor has changed.

Breakfast is decent, and served buffet style. It is included with the room. There is a made-to-order omelette station that does a fair job, and a decent selection of scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits, sausage gravy, fruit, yogurt, and juice. Not all of the plates and silverware are ever clean, but most of them are. I always enjoy the dining area, which features a soothing "stream" and some nicely-placed vegetation.

I was pleased with my stay here, but it is difficult to find reasons beyond familiarity and slightly reduced cost to choose this hotel over the new Renaissance. I expect that I will stay here again in the future, but I would like to see the place brought up to a more modern standard.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank mdyank
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We stopped here on our way back from New Orleans. The hotel is located downtown next to Union Station on the Alabama River. Its set up like all embassy suites. Our room was clean. Yes, the decor/furniture is beginning to look a little dated (like all embassy suites). The fact that the rooms are so large, makes it not such a big deal.

It looks like they are revitalizing the downtown area and I'd bet in a few years it will be wonderful. There's a riverboat, amphitheater, and minor league baseball stadium in the hotel's vicinity. Not real sure about restaurant options, we ended up eating at the hotel restaurant (good grilled chicken salad). We also made it in time for the manager's reception. The beer came straight out of the tap/keg and was plenty cold! Breakfast was fine, the hot food was a little on the cool side though. I didn't see any instances of people overcrowding rooms and taking advantage of the complimentary drinks/food.

I think the Embassy Suites is a fine option should your travels take you to Montgomery.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for two nights. It was a beautiful hotel and very clean. We had brought our dog, a Shih Tzu, along on the trip and were worried she would pick up fleas from the carpet. That has happened before at other hotels that were pet friendly. It didn't happen. The carpet was clean and we had a wonderful stay with the pooch along. The room service food was excellent and the staff friendly. We were right downtown.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2009

A great place! Stayed here on a girl's weekend trip for a concert at the amphitheatre (right across the street) !! Very clean and confortable room, great breakfast buffet, very friendly front desk staff who were also very accomodating. Only complaint we would have is the bartender was not friendly at all and seemed as if she had a "gun to her head" to wait on us and anyone else at the bar for that matter. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family