“Be prepared to pay extra...”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center
Ranked #23 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed 8 February 2010

We come here for a convention every year. I usually like Embassy Suites but this time I was charged for 3 movies that we did not order - one late at night long after we were in bed. So be prepared to pay a little extra than you were thinking and they offered no consideration for that. I also agree with other commentators that the breakfast area needs to be set up differently. If there is a large group it is impossible to keep any order.
Next year I will try the hotel across the street. I'd rather pay more for services I actually use than ones I didn't even order.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,038)

Reviewed 6 February 2010

When we arrived during the 2010 DMA Competition (Feb 5-7) amongst the usual, annual uproar we were greeted by a friendly staff who seemed to have the situation under control. However we would soon find the staff to be lacking in the most needed attribute in business – honesty. We made our reservations several months in advance and reserved a non-smoking room. Our daughter suffers from asthma. A non-smoking room was vital to us. When we opened the door to our room (rm#830) the stench of smoke nearly knock us over. We wondered if someone had violated a non-smoking policy until we noticed the presence of ash trays, matches, and understood that we had been given a “smoking room” instead. I called down to the front and explained the situation. As we waited in the room, my daughter started to cough. I opened the door and had her stand outside the room. The young lady at the front desk said that her reservation for us showed we “requested a smoking room.” A lie. “How could that be when my printout of my reservation and confirmation number shows non-smoking? I can bring it to you.” I was told it didn’t matter because she “does not have anymore rooms.” I would find out later it was another lie. “Someone will be up to spray your room sir.” I thought to myself that this situation is “awful” but we’ll just have to make it work out. We waited outside the room… and waited… and waited. We waited for twenty-minutes and finally had to go back into the room and call again. The same girl told us that no one called about our room. I protested that I had talked to her not twenty minutes earlier. She said very courtly that she would send someone to spray the room. We waited… I was wondering as we waited outside the room why the people next to us had their door wide open and were staring at us. They too had been given a smoking room when they had requested, during reservation, a non smoking. In fact, to make it easier for the staff to lie to those folks, they said they didn’t see their reservation in the database however the lady had her confirmation number - but they still didn't see it. Still they put them in a smoking room and said that was all they had.
Ten minutes later the cleaning lady finally came and sprayed “neutralizer”. It worked for all of 20 mins. And the smoking rooms must all be on the same ventilation system because we continued to smell smoke and endured a coughing child whenever the used the HVAC the whole time we were there.
How do I know they were lying about not having another room? Friends of ours who had arrived after us passed us as the cleaning lady was leaving our room. They told us they had just arrived about ten minutes prior, had complained about getting a smoking room, and been upgraded to a non-smoking larger suite on our floor. We couldn't believe it. Beware of this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2010

Stayed in the Hotel last weekend (January 23, 2010), and was expecting horrible everything. To my surprise and delight, this was the typical Embassy Suites Hotel. It was clean, spacious, food was the usual good stuff, and the staff, well, they make the Embassy Suite experience, they were just outstanding! Maybe the hotel has had a make-over recently. The shuttle to and from the airport was great, and it really isn't a busy airport so believe them when they make the schedule to get you there. All in all, the kind of experience everyone expects from the Embassy Suite Hotel chain, and the location for Montgomery (which is not a huge city) was convenient to everything (assuming you have a car).

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Our family was traveling through for a Winter Vacation in the South, so we chose the Embassy Suites in downtown Montgomery for a stopover. It was very clean, with a relaxed atmosphere. We were able to use the exercise facilities, jaccuzzi, and pool, which were all open, available, and uncrowded in the early evening. The suite rooms were comfortable, a good size to accommodate our older teenage kids. The rooms open to a beautiful large atrium just like the typical Embassy Suites hotels, and the hallways were being repainted so it was apparent that they are trying to upgrade and keep up with renovations.
The breakfast was very nice, plenty of options, and the omelet chef was very cheerful and interactive with the guests. What a pleasant atmosphere for our family's first night stopover. The one thing I wish they would change is that they charged us a nominal $5.00 per night parking fee. No big deal, but they should just increase their prices by $5.00 so it doesn't feel like they are trying to nickel and dime their clientele. Everything else at this hotel was really nice.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank typomonkey
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We attended a wedding in the Montgomery area and stayed at Embassy Suites. The location was great and within walking distance to the downtown area. The check-in, the gentleman who carried our luggage to our room, and the overall lobby area were great. We ate the breakfast buffet both mornings and it was above average, as well as the complimentary drinks and snacks in the bar area during the evening hospitality time. The negatives were the tired-looking and stained carpet in the hallways, our uncomfortable kingsize bed, and we never had maid service even though we were gone from our room for extended periods of time during the day. Our bed had a huge dip in the middle and the linens were obviously old. Our top sheet had a hole in it. Our daughter stayed on the pull-out sofa and the mattress pad had a huge stain on it. When we requested fresh linens however, the staff was very quick to provide them. We would stay at this property again, but attention really needs to be given to room updates.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Traveling thru the area on the way home from a Florida beach trip. Found this place via priceline - it is the only 3* on their site. We were pleasantly surprised. It is a large older hotel with center atrium and the rooms looking out over it. It has been renovated and the beds, furniture were nice. The rooms are suite style with a separate living room and pull out sofa.

It is downtown and they were having a music festival in the street but still found a parking place. They charge $5 a day for it.

We couldn't hear the street noise once we got inside. The breakfast buffet is included in the price and has made to order eggs and plenty of other choices. Good service in the dining area.

No free Internet in the rooms so we had to go to the business center. That was the only negative.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I have been staying at this hotel for a number of years, because it seemed to be the best-quality place in downtown Montgomery. In the past year it has been eclipsed by the new Renaissance Hotel & Spa across the street, and this is the first time I have stayed at the Embassy Suites since the competition arrived.

My first impression this trip was not positive. I had the misfortune of arriving on the same day as a major college football team, so parking was a serious problem. There are some parking spots right in front of the hotel, but most of the parking has always been in a larger parking lot right across from those spaces. On this trip, I found the front spaces filled and the larger parking lot barricaded, with signs posted that access is now only by room key. Having not yet checked in to receive a room key, I called and asked a staff member where I should park to check in. I was told to park under the awning in front of the hotel--an awning with pillars featuring large red stop signs warning you NOT to park under the awning, as it is a fire lane, and that violators would be towed. A police truck sat ominously near the awning and made me nervous. But the annoyed staffer was insistent, so I parked under the awning while I ran inside to check in...the car was not towed, thank goodness! But it seemed like an unnecessary hassle. Parking is now $5 per day (if I recall correctly, it used to be free).

I have always been pleased with the hotel's cleanliness, and this experience was no exception. Towels, sheets, pillows, etc. were all spotless. Sometimes I've found an item or two that is still soiled or has someone else's hair on it, but not this trip. The hotel does show signs of its age. Fixtures, carpets, and wallpaper have all seen better days, and a renovation would do the place a world of good. I like the "homey" charm of the wood-encased standard definition tv, because I have a certain nostalgia for the days when televisions looked like furniture, but it also helps to underscore the age of the place and how long it's been since the decor has changed.

Breakfast is decent, and served buffet style. It is included with the room. There is a made-to-order omelette station that does a fair job, and a decent selection of scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits, sausage gravy, fruit, yogurt, and juice. Not all of the plates and silverware are ever clean, but most of them are. I always enjoy the dining area, which features a soothing "stream" and some nicely-placed vegetation.

I was pleased with my stay here, but it is difficult to find reasons beyond familiarity and slightly reduced cost to choose this hotel over the new Renaissance. I expect that I will stay here again in the future, but I would like to see the place brought up to a more modern standard.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business