“Hotel was good, beware of costly calls”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center
Ranked #26 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We stayed one night at the Embassy suites on our way through Montgomery, AL. The hotel was very similar to other Embassy hotels with the interior courtyard and the free drinks at the manager's reception in the evening.

They do charge $5 a night to park in the lot next to the hotel, which struck me as an odd since it's open air parking at the front of the hotel, where else would you park?

Beware of ridiculous telephone charges should you need to make long distance calls from your room. I had to make a few calls in the morning, maybe 7 of them that were not toll free and only a few minutes each, and it ended up costing me an extra $55. Throw in an extra $9 for a day of wireless internet to top it off. Seriously, what hotel exec thought up these policies?

The beds were fairly comfortable, the room was clean and check-in was quick. We did find the in-ceiling a/c unit to be quite loud and it ran continuously all night.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank SK-travel1
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel & Montgomery Conference Center

Reviewed 7 April 2010

I love Embassy Suites. The whole stay is great because of the free drinks in the evening and the free breakfast in the morning. This Embassy Suites had something going on I didn't like. FOX News was not a choice on the inroom TV service. I don't know for sure but I believe that station was blocked. This is my preferred source for news but we had to watch HLN or CNN. NOT HAPPY about that so I did without my news for 3 days.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank goldengirl51
Reviewed 8 February 2010

We come here for a convention every year. I usually like Embassy Suites but this time I was charged for 3 movies that we did not order - one late at night long after we were in bed. So be prepared to pay a little extra than you were thinking and they offered no consideration for that. I also agree with other commentators that the breakfast area needs to be set up differently. If there is a large group it is impossible to keep any order.
Next year I will try the hotel across the street. I'd rather pay more for services I actually use than ones I didn't even order.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2010

When we arrived during the 2010 DMA Competition (Feb 5-7) amongst the usual, annual uproar we were greeted by a friendly staff who seemed to have the situation under control. However we would soon find the staff to be lacking in the most needed attribute in business – honesty. We made our reservations several months in advance and reserved a non-smoking room. Our daughter suffers from asthma. A non-smoking room was vital to us. When we opened the door to our room (rm#830) the stench of smoke nearly knock us over. We wondered if someone had violated a non-smoking policy until we noticed the presence of ash trays, matches, and understood that we had been given a “smoking room” instead. I called down to the front and explained the situation. As we waited in the room, my daughter started to cough. I opened the door and had her stand outside the room. The young lady at the front desk said that her reservation for us showed we “requested a smoking room.” A lie. “How could that be when my printout of my reservation and confirmation number shows non-smoking? I can bring it to you.” I was told it didn’t matter because she “does not have anymore rooms.” I would find out later it was another lie. “Someone will be up to spray your room sir.” I thought to myself that this situation is “awful” but we’ll just have to make it work out. We waited outside the room… and waited… and waited. We waited for twenty-minutes and finally had to go back into the room and call again. The same girl told us that no one called about our room. I protested that I had talked to her not twenty minutes earlier. She said very courtly that she would send someone to spray the room. We waited… I was wondering as we waited outside the room why the people next to us had their door wide open and were staring at us. They too had been given a smoking room when they had requested, during reservation, a non smoking. In fact, to make it easier for the staff to lie to those folks, they said they didn’t see their reservation in the database however the lady had her confirmation number - but they still didn't see it. Still they put them in a smoking room and said that was all they had.
Ten minutes later the cleaning lady finally came and sprayed “neutralizer”. It worked for all of 20 mins. And the smoking rooms must all be on the same ventilation system because we continued to smell smoke and endured a coughing child whenever the used the HVAC the whole time we were there.
How do I know they were lying about not having another room? Friends of ours who had arrived after us passed us as the cleaning lady was leaving our room. They told us they had just arrived about ten minutes prior, had complained about getting a smoking room, and been upgraded to a non-smoking larger suite on our floor. We couldn't believe it. Beware of this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2010

Stayed in the Hotel last weekend (January 23, 2010), and was expecting horrible everything. To my surprise and delight, this was the typical Embassy Suites Hotel. It was clean, spacious, food was the usual good stuff, and the staff, well, they make the Embassy Suite experience, they were just outstanding! Maybe the hotel has had a make-over recently. The shuttle to and from the airport was great, and it really isn't a busy airport so believe them when they make the schedule to get you there. All in all, the kind of experience everyone expects from the Embassy Suite Hotel chain, and the location for Montgomery (which is not a huge city) was convenient to everything (assuming you have a car).

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Our family was traveling through for a Winter Vacation in the South, so we chose the Embassy Suites in downtown Montgomery for a stopover. It was very clean, with a relaxed atmosphere. We were able to use the exercise facilities, jaccuzzi, and pool, which were all open, available, and uncrowded in the early evening. The suite rooms were comfortable, a good size to accommodate our older teenage kids. The rooms open to a beautiful large atrium just like the typical Embassy Suites hotels, and the hallways were being repainted so it was apparent that they are trying to upgrade and keep up with renovations.
The breakfast was very nice, plenty of options, and the omelet chef was very cheerful and interactive with the guests. What a pleasant atmosphere for our family's first night stopover. The one thing I wish they would change is that they charged us a nominal $5.00 per night parking fee. No big deal, but they should just increase their prices by $5.00 so it doesn't feel like they are trying to nickel and dime their clientele. Everything else at this hotel was really nice.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank typomonkey
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We attended a wedding in the Montgomery area and stayed at Embassy Suites. The location was great and within walking distance to the downtown area. The check-in, the gentleman who carried our luggage to our room, and the overall lobby area were great. We ate the breakfast buffet both mornings and it was above average, as well as the complimentary drinks and snacks in the bar area during the evening hospitality time. The negatives were the tired-looking and stained carpet in the hallways, our uncomfortable kingsize bed, and we never had maid service even though we were gone from our room for extended periods of time during the day. Our bed had a huge dip in the middle and the linens were obviously old. Our top sheet had a hole in it. Our daughter stayed on the pull-out sofa and the mattress pad had a huge stain on it. When we requested fresh linens however, the staff was very quick to provide them. We would stay at this property again, but attention really needs to be given to room updates.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple