“Excellent stay at a convenient, modest place”

Sonesta ES Suites Montgomery
Ranked #19 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed here for several weeks while working in Montgomery. The location is nothing special, on a little side road, right off of Eastern Blvd. But it is convenient to travel on several highways, shopping, the Alabama Shakespeare Festival, and only 10 minutes from downtown Montgomery. The place itself, however, is really well run and an excellent value. The customer service in every aspect is terrific - everyione is just very helpful and friendly. The free breakfasts are good, and though I didn't attend any, they serve free dinners several nights a week. My room was spacious, very clean, comfortable bed, a fireplace, kitchenette ...they did a million dollar remodel a few years ago apparently, and it shows. There are laundry facilities and a pool, but it was too cold for that. They have computers for use in the lobby, and a printer, and will happily scan or fax documents. And they have security guys on the premises at night, though it doesn't necessarily like an area where you'd need them. The room service every day was also good - they were efficient, thorough, flexible, cheerful.

If the location works for you, it's a really nice place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Gwen B, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Montgomery, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

We truly appreciate you for taking the time to give us a review. The staff is definitely excited you hear you enjoyed your stay here at Residence Inn Montgomery, and we thank you for choosing us. You could have stayed anywhere, but you chose us, and that means a lot. It is encouraging to know you were pleased with the remodel and the cleanliness of your room. Reviews from our guests push our associates to strive even higher so we can exceed your expectations and continue to deliver pleasant stays each time you visit us.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Wish I could give this hotel a higher rating but my room was less than stellar. I am a platinum member and I was given a handicap room were the carpet had been frayed from someone keeping their animal closed up in the bathroom previously. The room also had a smell to it.
The layout of the rooms are in townhouse layouts with rooms opening directly outside. Had an apartment type feel to it which would be great if I were here long-term but I am a single female traveling along for business and felt kind of weary about the layout.
The employees however are incredible. From the manager right on down to the person who checked me in. Super efficient and friendly. Couldn't ask for better people.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Gwen B, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Montgomery, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you so much for choosing Residence Inn as your accommodation choice while in Montgomery. I am very disappointed that your room had an unpleasant odor. We make every effort to neutralize any odors from our rooms but your room obviously needs additional treatment. I apologize for the less than perfect experience.

Residence Inn was designed to meet the unique needs of the extended stay traveler. Our suites are 50% larger than the average hotel rooms and we provide many amenities such as a full kitchen that help our guest to be productive while enjoying all the comforts of home.

We appreciate the service compliment. Our goal is to exceed the expectations of every guest by providing service so memorable that you will tell others about us!!

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Residence Inn is our hotel of choice each time we're in the area, which is usually twice per year. The rooms have always been clean and the rates are reasonable. We usually stay for a week or more, and my wife loves the fact that there is a self-service laundry on the premises.
The hotel is also very convenient to the activities, restaurants and shopping on the east side of Montgomery, which is the active and growing part of the city. The Montgomery Shakespeare Festival area is immediately at hand, and a very large park area.
The breakfast is very good and has some unusual items. Who would expect kimchi at a hotel buffet, especially in the south?
The main attraction of the hotel, however, is the friendliness of the staff. From General Manager Gwen to the desk personnel and maids, every staff member we met has greeted us with a smile, asked what they can do to help and gone out of their way to improve our stay. One of our recent visits was a very sad occasion due to a death in the family. Virtually every member of the hotel staff came by at some point in our stay to express condolences, even though they didn't know us. One of the maids (who was not even the one servicing our room) bought us a beautiful plant.
The only negative I can offer is the noise from the nearby interstate highway. Rooms near the front of the hotel are pretty quiet. However, the hotel offers a white noise generator, which we've found to be very effective in masking the sound no matter where we are.

Room Tip: Rooms near the front are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for staying at Residence Inn Montgomery. We are thrilled to know we are your hotel of choice when visiting our illustrious city. Our breakfast is definitely unique; we do our best to accommodate the varying tastes of our repeat and extended-stay guests along with our guests who just want a little something different in the morning. We definitely try to make it feel as much like home as possible. We will see you soon!

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We will definitely stay here again if we are ever in the area. Check in was fast and efficient. The room was spotless and very comfortable. It had a wood burning fireplace but unfortunately it was too warm outside for a fire. There is a security guard on site but considering the layout, it makes sense. The hotel is actually a collection of separate buildings - meaning no central foyer that someone has to walk through so security could be a concern. However, the neighborhood looks good and I don't honestly think safety is an issue. Breakfast was the standard buffet EXCEPT there was kimchi (which I love) along with a few unusual items. The only downside could be noise from the interstate if your room is on the backside but not a problem elsewhere. Overall, one of the best Residence Inns I have stayed at.

1  Thank Cathy023
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I read a few reviews before making my choice. I was happy to say that our families stay went well! First the hotel is near the highway. I had read of complaints of other reviews, but our room was first floor near the front side of hotel so we did not hear that much traffic. Although since we were on first floor there was a unit above us and the individuals walk was heavy so that was the only noise complaint, was the creaking and what seemed to me like stomps (but it was when we all settled to sleep). There was always parking near us and the room we had was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath w/ fold out couch! It was clean and spacious. Staff was friendly and the breakfast was good. There was always room for the family to sit and the food was stocked well. They did offer rice and kimchee, in addition to the normal breakfast fair! They had a laundry area, but you need to pay for this. We were there to visit a graduation at Maxwell AFB and it was about a 20 minute drive, and the airport was about the same. There are numerous places to dine near by and places to shop!

Room Tip: Staff is accommodating, we asked for first floor because of the kids.
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My experience at this hotel was mixed. Let me start off by saying that the actual room itself that I stayed in was very nice. The bed was comfortable and the carpet was pristine. A clean and comfortable room and pleasant front desk staff is what is expected for a Marriot property. I did think it was odd that I was required to sign a 'standard' form stating that I would not engage in drug use nor have a party on the property; I mean I was there to visit my son in college, not really in montgomery to party. The hotel had security guards roaming the premisis and I realized why when I went to the gas station one night and saw the crowd there; definately not where you want to be in you are by yourself. The breakfast was excellent and I even spent some time in the gym. Overall I rate this property as very good, just do not venture out to the gas station's down the street at night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Frienldy stall nice clean room, good beds and the manegers reception was welcoming. Will be back there when ever i am in the area. Would take an upstairs room for a bit quieter stay. No footsteeps above you that way.

Room Tip: All are good, upstairs would be a bit quieter. The pool looks good. The manegers reception was goo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Gwen B, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Montgomery, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you so much the favorable review of your experience at Residence Inn! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is our goal to ensure that every guest has a positive experience. Clean rooms with comfortable beds are certainly a focal point of our efforts.

When in Montgomery, we hope that you stay with us again!