“Two and a half”
Review of The Alabama Hotel

The Alabama Hotel
Ranked #38 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The overall rating is 2.5. The staff is friendly and helpful. The TV remote needed new batteries and when I approached the front desk it was taken care of immediately. My stay involved a couple of days and there was a musky smell which permeated the entrance and room in which I stayed. It does need a renovation but then the price was right. I will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: If the breakfast room has been rented for the evening, staying on one of the upper floors might be q...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
AlabamaHotel, General Manager at The Alabama Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Guest, Thank You very much for your review, It helps us to improve, as Improvement is always an ongoing Process, We are sorry to know that you had some issues during your stay and we strongly apologize for the inconvenience, We would request you to give us another chance during your next lodging needs in Montgomery, Alabama

There are newer reviews for The Alabama Hotel

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here for a weekend erand was quite satisfied with the place. Staff was friendly room was clean and the place was beautiful and close to everything we were wanting to do. There was a couple of times things got loud but nothing that bothered us. Will most likely stay here again. D. Alverson

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank dalverson

Dear Guest, We are Glad you ENJOYED your Stay at Alabama Hotel ~ The Beautiful. We thank you for taking time out to write the your Review, It helps us to strive even Better to Provide the Best Southern Hospitality at Alabama Hotel~ The Beautiful.
We will look forward to see you at Alabama Hotel, during your next Visit to Montgomery, Alabama Area.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel on and off over the last 15 months. Have been in town building the new wind creek casino and stayed here at least 30 weeks in that time. It was a great hotel but the last 4 months it has gone down hill fast. They will rent a room to anyone who is 16 and has photo id(that is insane).during the week it is ok but on the weekends u will not get even a hours sleep due to all the loud noise. police have been there 25 times since jan. 1 call and ask for yourself. For these reasons I had to go and stay at express in its a block down the road and they have 24 hour security and will throw trouble makers out in a second. would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Never go on a weekend
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Lifesabeach2020
AlabamaHotel, General Manager at The Alabama Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Guest, Southern Hospitality is the another name of Alabama Hotel, as you can agree with us since you stayed for so many weeks and enjoyed the Quality Stay at most Affordable price only at Alabama Hotel
We feel sorry to loose you as our customer but at the same time We DO NOT Compromise with the Safety of other Customers.
I am sorry my staff had to get you out of the hotel with regret, Just Like Other good Quality Hotels, We do keep our Security 24 /7 but because of your behavioral issues we had to see you leave, as it was done with very heavy Heart at Alabama Hotel.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We booked this hotel online. The reviews seem good and the price was good. We had to wait to be checked in. Noone was around. Our room was dirty. There was crud in the corners of the bathroom and the bathtub was very stained. Carpet is stained. The room smells musty. Yuck!! No washcloths in the bathroom. They offer free breakfast at 7:30. We were up and tried to get in the breakfast room at 7:35, it was locked so we decided to walk around and check out the hotel. We thought we would look for the pool while waiting for the breakfast room to open. We walked through a door and it happened to be another entrance into the breakfast room. There was a lady behind the counter and she said there is a reason why the door is locked. I told her we were just looking around and trying to find the pool. She was very rude and by now it is 7:40. I think she realize how rude she was because then she said help yourself. We left. Came back a little while later and the breakfast considered of frozen biscuits, muffins and pastries, they were still frozen. You had to put them in the microwave to thaw and the only think to use were styrofoam plates, guess what styrofoam does in the microwave. The microwave they have makes these loud noises when you are using it. So the next morning to check out, we had to wait again, noone at the front desk. The same lady that was rude to us for breakfast checked me out. I have to say, she was very nice this time. I think she realized how rude she was before. We will NOT ever use this hotel again. I mainly had to put a review on here because I can't believe all of the positive ones this place has. I used them in deciding to book this place and it was a mistake. I have to say this hotel is the worst one I've ever stayed in. Pay a little extra and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: We were in room 103 - GROSS!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Karen W
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I chose this hotel because I needed a one-night, cheap and clean stay. I used the reviews here, on TripAdvisor.
My reservation (11/15/13) was held by Angelina who greeted me at the desk when I checked in that night. The lobby and indoor balconies (no closed floors) are quaint and maintain the "southern style" with large plants/trees and wrought iron accents. I parked around the back and found an open door (the handle is broken away from the door). I carried my luggage up three flights of stairs and walked into the hallway without impediment.
My room (#305) was designed as a mini suite: king size bed, 2 nightstands, one dresser with a mirror; separated by a half wall with a desk and chair on the opposite side, 2 end tables with lamps, a sleeper loveseat, an armchair, coffee table, mini-fridge with tiny freezer, mini microwave, small coffee pot on a long counter. It overlooked a narrow, square shape of the building (view of the other rooms, not the city). The television was a 32" (?) inch, tube without a remote (I called for the remote and one was not brought up nor was a call returned). The bathroom was a double-door dressing room (closet and sink) with another door for the toilet and tub.
Regarding cleanliness: there was no obvious dirt in the room (even under the bed was clean) however, the furniture showed signs of long use inside and out. The inner part of the loveseat had a tear in the upholstery. My bedspread and top sheet had visible cigarette holes and the linen was thin. The carpet while clean, but was obviously old; the cabinet under the sink was unlocked but held no extra towels, toilet tissue or toiletries and was dusty with debris. The bathtub had been rinsed but had not been washed in some time. The smoke detector was not properly placed and the hole was visible.
Amenities: 2 towels (thin), 3 wash clothes (thin) and 1 hand towel (thin); 2 bars of soap and 1 bottle of conditioning shampoo. NO: iron/ironing board, t.v. remote, alarm clock. Breakfast is from 07:30-09:00 (useless for work travel as coffee nor juice was available at 07:00
Checkout: I encountered a young man who attempted to open the breakfast area, only to realize it was not yet set up. He seemed friendly enough. My job's morning assignment ran over and I needed to checkout at 11:30, that cost me $5 (AND I was in my military uniform) which I paid cash to the same young man while in the elevator (he offered to ride up to my room to collect it, as he was already making rounds). At 11:20 the maid knocked on my door, I explained that I was checking out late and would be out in a few. A co-worker had a problem and was using my shower and a 11:30 on the dot, that same young man knocked on my door to ask if I wanted to extend for the whole hour.
Bottomline: Nice hotel with potential. However, a significant amount of attention to detail will be needed to make improvements. It felt more like a hostel than a hotel but for $52 (phone for military/government discount) it was ok.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank faithfulgalme
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Great Alabama style building and homely feel in foyer. Lady at the front desk was lovely. We got a huge room with kitchenette and living area and a big king sized bed. There were a couple of questionable stains on both the fitted sheet and the blanket which looked like they had been there for some time, but other than that the room itself was really spotless. Great value considering some of the more dodgy motels sharing the same street.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My husband and I stayed there on our week long visit there. We had a great experience, our stay at the hotel alone could have been the highlight of our vacation.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.... there was a confusion with our reservation when we initially got there but they did their best to accommodate us right away and more than make up for the confusion.
The room was also very clean and provided us with everything we needed, from fresh towels every morning and my life saving coffee, and much more.
Can't wait to come back to Alabama!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple