“Very good value for the price!”
Review of Candlelight Inn

Candlelight Inn
Ranked #57 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I want to first say I am so ashamed of the other reviews of this motel. When I saw 1 star ratings and reviews of how it is in a dangerous part of town and such, I was afraid to put in a reservation until I looked at the property. These people portrayed it as the Bates Motel. Me and my family stayed here last night and all I can say to those reviewers is "SHAME ON YOU!!!"

Me and my wife discussed this and I feel the reason these people put these comments were because of racial motivation, I am embarrassed to say. I am Caucasian and my wife is half-Asian, and we did not feel in ANY way uncomfortable staying in this area. The local Walmart is about 5-6 miles east of the property on the main road and we had no problems in our shopping experience. Yes, there was a few people walking on the street, but big deal!!

OK, now for the motel review. I liked the property because it was converted from possibly a Ramada Inn (based on logo on trash cans) so you enter your room from the inside vs. the outside like other value priced motels I have stayed at before. Therefore, safety was even more enhanced in my view. The sign for the property is one of those letter-board signs with the flashing lights... that's how I missed it the first time by. It is directly next to the Key West Inn.s The lobby is elegant and Miss Gilda was SO PROFESSIONAL!!! She greeted us as we entered the door and even recommended us to local restaurants if we were hungry. I felt like I was at the Marriott or Hilton!!!!! The price for the room was very good at $45 (tax included) for a double bed room. Use www.bookings.com to get the best room value for the property. The room was very clean, has small refrigerator, microwave, cable TV, small hair dryer, and an outside pool. They also have meeting rooms. Vending machines are also available. It tickled me how they had a sign going from the lobby to the hallway stating you were entering a "Quiet Zone". :-)

The only negatives would be VERY VERY MINOR. The hallway carpet has some noticeable repairs and it is obviously a little dated in the style, but this does not cross my mind because I do not stay in luxury hotels. Yes, the elevator is out of order, but we all need exercise anyway. :-)

Compared to the prices I was seeing to other properties in the area, this one is the BEST value for the money. When you come in, ask about Miss Gilda... she will make your day! :-)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed here the first night I was working in Alabama. I found it to be fairly cheap and decided I would forgo the warnings other travelers had offered on trip advisor; what a horrible mistake. First, the neighborhood was very unnerving. I was afraid I would be mugged or my vehicle broken into. The hotel's hallways smelled of urine and mold. When I entered my room, it smelled as though someone had just recently smoked marijuana in it. The room itself also smelled of urine and mold. The walls were in a state of ruin and so were all the light fixtures, bathtub and sink. The tv didn't even work properly! I checked my bed and sure enough, there were bed bugs! I immediately grabbed my belongings and moved to a different hotel. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank Msize
Reviewed 7 April 2012

The bad news -
This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!! Where to begin --- I was chaperoning a group of high school students. The arrangements for this hotel had been made by another person. We arrived when it was dark and couldn't see what the neighborhood was like. The elevator was "out of service", but when we asked if it was broken, the desk clerk called someone and soon a "manager" (?) came into the lobby in dirty shorts and t-shirt carrying his sandwich and spoke to us while eating it. He agreed to have us put our luggage by the elevator so he could take it up to the 3rd floor where we had 16 rooms booked. The place smelled like Pine Sol and the smell was so strong it made our eyes burn. (That smell was actually preferable to the smell of urine that we endured the next morning after the Pine Sol smell had dissipated.)

When the kids started going into their rooms we were horrified! Bedspreads with disgusting stains on them (which we were pretty sure we could identify), bedsheets with blood spots, holes in walls covered with material that kept moving, bathrooms with plumbing parts lying on the tub, and on and on. The manager called for clean sheets and two men with jackets labeled "security" showed up. Scared the living daylights out of us. They looked liked they just walked off the 10 most wanted terrorists list and barely spoke English. We had to split up four girls into other rooms because their room was so creepy and dirty. Then two boys from another room took the girls' creepy room because their room smelled like urine and they couldn't stand it. Another room of boys pointed out to us the spikes outside their window that were there to prevent anyone from trying to get in the window. Other rooms had silk scarves and other things draped over the lamps. We instructed the kids to be sure to put the chains on the doors and not to answer the door for anyone but us. The lock on our room didn't work, so we put the chain on the door, wedged a chair against it and put the wastebasket on top so if anyone tried to get in, it would make a lot of noise. When our bus driver came back from getting gas, he said he saw prostitutes walking up and down the sidewalk in front of the hotel.

In the morning we could see a little better - unfortunately. There was a big beautiful boat in the rear yard of the hotel. Then the whole hotel was surrounded by a tall fence complete with barb wire along the top. Looked like a prison fence. By this time we were pretty sure they were running drugs and prostitution out of this place! I debated taking a shower, but felt so grungy after "sleeping" (yeah - not a lot of sleeping took place among our group), that I decided to take a chance on the shower. Started the water running and the tub filled up with water and wouldn't drain. Didn't want to stand in a tub full of water when showering, so just got dressed and left. This hotel did not offer a breakfast bar, and we all agreed we would have not eaten there even if they did. The manager stood at the elevator (in the same dirty clothes he had been wearing the night before) and took our luggage down for us. Because it was so late when we arrived, and because we needed 16 rooms, we opted not to look for another hotel when we discovered how bad the place was. We were all so tired we agreed we should have just slept on the bus!

The good news - Our stay here gave us great stories to share!!

P.S. Just realized we stayed there on April 1! Appropriate, as this place was a joke!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank musiclady88
Whiteman AFB, MO
Reviewed 2 January 2006

Hotel is in a very questionable neighborhood. Rental car agent advised not staying there unless you had some type of personal protection. We only stayed the one night with all the available door locks engaged. Shampoo bottle in the bathroom was a left over from the former occupant of the room I was in.

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 December 2005

I paid $54 + tax AAA rate for my family of 5. Found the room to be oversized (which is nice with 3 kids). We stayed on 2nd floor which was very quiet. One extra was the plentiful outlets that were around the room, which is unusual for a motel in this price range. Beds were SO comfortable, and the day clerk treated me like family. We received breakfast passes to the on-site restaurant and were served coffee or juice, toast, grits, eggs and sausage that was better than homemade, and would have cost us $25 at a restaurant. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2005
1  Thank iamtravelinpam
Reviewed 21 January 2005

This hotel is in the worst part of town. I was afraid to leave the room and worried that my car moght be broken into. Don't stay in this part of town!!! The hotel itself was alright but slightly run down. The area is horrible and there is nothing nearby. Now I know why it was the cheapest. Spend $10 more a night and stay on the north east side of town.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago
Reviewed 10 January 2005

arrived and stayed less than 2 hours. Ants crawling on drinking glasses in the bathroom and in the tub. Arm of the recliner was broken. Recliner was filthy dirty. room smelled of mold/mildew. Complained, checked out and was charged for one whole night when I left before nightfall. Requesting refund from Ramada for same.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member