DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown
Ranked #9 of 72 Hotels in Montgomery
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Great Staff”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My husband had a great trip to Montgomery partly because the staff was so great at the Double Tree. Thanks to Tom the last minute meeting went smoothly. Thanks also to Keri, Lisa, Jasmine, Jon and especially Rie. He is looking forward to returning to Montgomery and staying at the Double Tree.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Tom Q, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. People like Mr. Miller and Mr. Hunter are what make our industry so fun and interesting to be a part of. I'm glad the meeting went well and we appreciate their utilization of our restaurant during their stay. The fact you mentioned so many of our staff members is flattering indeed, and my appreciation for naming each of them is heartfelt.
Again, thank you for writing the review and we look forward to seeing Mr. Miller again soon!
Tom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed here early May to be close to Maxwell AFB. The hotel lobby is modern and spacious with a nice bar and restaurant anchoring it. Check in was smooth except for the agent insisting that our package did not include breakfast when it definitely did. To her credit, she provided me with the vouchers after a brief discussion with a manager at the end of the counter and told me that they had just opened and were not familiar with all of the booking packages but would take care of it. I went to get a valet cart since there was no valet person available and got my luggage and family out of the car. As I passed the front desk with my children in tow, the agent and her manager stopped me to request a copy of my confirmation to verify what I was entitled to in order to honor the breakfast voucher. I informed them that it was in my vehicle and that if it were okay with them, I would go up to the room (I had my children and my luggage and my daughter needed to use the restroom) and come back down after unloading, go to my car and get the confirmation sheet. I was none too pleased at this point because my integrity was being called into question, in front of my family and other patrons no less, for $14.00 worth of powdered eggs and bacon. I got to the room which, by the way is almost too small (more on that later), pulled out my tablet, logged onto the Double Tree website and found the same package I booked available for the taking, with all the details right there for anyone to see. I went back down stairs with the valet cart, my tablet and my car keys. I returned the cart and walked over to the two women who had requested the confirmation from me and let them know that I was on my way to the car to get the "necessary confirmation" but I couldn't help but wonder why it was plausible to them to put me, the guest, in that situation when I was able to use the complimentary wifi and pull up the very package they were questioning on their website? The manager answered with a dismissive wave of her hand that they no longer needed the confirmation because they had figured it out by then. I commented that that is what should have been done in the first place and that it would have been nice to have been called to say just that before trekking back down. She never apologized, she simply said " It's all taken care of" breezily. Bad customer service merits an apology.
The rooms are clean and renovated but they should have picked smaller furnishings for such a small space. THE ROOM DOOR IS RIDICULOUSLY HEAVY AND HARD TO OPEN!!!! The bathroom is also very small. The bed frames in the standard room are going to cause someone a significant injury if they have not already. We were constantly running into them as they jutted out farther than the mattress, there was very little clearance off the ground and very little space between the beds and desk. I bet someone is already regretting the white flooring choice around the lobby.
That being said, all of the other staff members we encountered were polite and gracious. Sam provided stellar service. The buffet breakfast was definitely not worth accosting a paying guest over. It was acceptable but no better that what is complementary at many other hotel chains. If you need to be in downtown Montgomery, it is a great choice. Hopefully they will improve with time.

Room Tip: You may want to pay for a suite as the standard rooms are quite small and somewhat awkward. If you a...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank RodM530
Tom Q, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a response. First, allow me to apologize for the agents questioning your rate and seemingly, your integrity. I can assure you this was not their intent. Being a new property, we have a number of promotional rates loaded. They clearly went overboard in ascertaining the exact rate code to apply to your stay, something I have emphasized the importance of to them. My sincere apology for how this was handled.

The doors, being new are, are somewhat tight, but I am assured they will get easier to open in a relatively short time after some utilization. Our primary concern was the security of doors shutting completely once opened.
I realize the perception (not unwarranted) is that most hotels use powdered eggs, frozen danish, muffins, croissants, etc. We do not. We use 100% whole fresh eggs, bake all our pastries (including danish, muffins and croissants) on premise, and use Conecuh sausage and applewood smoked bacon on our buffet or for ala carte service.
The tile selected for the lobby requires consistent attention which, however is worth the attention for the effect it produces as part of the overall motif. Your kind words regarding the modern and spacious lobby and nice bar and restaurant are appreciated.
Sam is certainly reflective of the caliber of associate we wanted to attract and I appreciate your observations regarding the graciousness of the other associates encountered.

Again, allow me to apologize for our confusion over the rate you had obviously legitimately contracted. I know we still have a few kinks to work out, but I see improvement every day, and hope that we see you again soon.
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
TN
Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

So this is a brand new doubletree. It is a retrofit from an older property. They did a nice job. Everything is clean, modern and very well organized. Little things are still being worked on. A/c in workout room was broken. Fridge in room was broken. The bathrooms are small, but very clean and nice.
Staff could not be nicer. Easy parking, right downtown.
It's not the Ritz, but it is Montgomery. I'll stay there again.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JCFFB
Tom Q, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown, responded to this review, 4 May 2013
Thank you for the kind words. We are still working out a few kinks, but we're very close to getting all wrapped up and expect that we'll be at 100% operational by the end of the week. I apologize about the AC (which is now fixed)and Fridge (which has been replaced) and hope to make it up to you on your next visit. Again, thank you for taking the time to write the review and I'll look forward to seeing you again.
Grayson, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 29 April 2013

The hotel is a convert from another chain and the restrooms are tiny. Good thing my wife was not with me but even for me it was tight. No coffee service even in the am time frame is out of character for Hilton. I hit my knee twice on the desk chair cause I could not roll it back out of the way.$10 prking per night in Montgomery??? Food way overpriced as well.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Tom Q, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Montgomery Downtown, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thank you for evaluating our property. We opened our doors on April 17th, and have tried to create a hotel that is contemporary and upscale...the bathroom is a standard size but contain all new fixtures, plumbing and an extraordinary mirror/lighting combination. We also offer in room Wolfgang Puck coffee service as well as Numi tea selections. The Restaurant features innovative cuisine with a commitment to locally sourced ingredients and a farm to table approach to food preparation. It's not the least expensive restaurant in town, but is less expensive than other hotel restaurants of similar quality. We really strive to exceed expectations in all aspects of the stay and hope your not discouraged from trying us again. Upon your next stay, please call me personally and I will personally ensure your expectations are fulfilled.
Again, thank you for taking the time to create this review.
Tom/General Manager