“Two Words... Bed Bugs!!!”

Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center
Ranked #7 of 71 Hotels in Montgomery
Province of Pisa, Italy
“Two Words... Bed Bugs!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Once again, Bed Bugs. We only slept 3 hours, when we had to wake up we had over 15 bed bugs crawling around us. Long story short, we will never ever, ever ever visit a Renaissance hotel again. I do not know what else to say besides. Bed Bugs.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Otis S
Kevin W, Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel and Spa. In addition, thank you for your feedback. In your review you noted that you stayed with us approximately four months ago in March. Unfortunately, we do not have a documented report of this incident. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please feel free to contact me at 334-481-5068. Thank you again and I do apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced.

Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Renaissance Montgomery is a nice hotel. I stayed there while attending a conference. Very convenient to the convention center to which it is attached. There are some great restaurants across the street including Bistro B and Dreamland Bar-B-Que.

Room Tip: Go for a river view room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery and thank you for your positive comments. We will share your comments with our staff and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Ladue, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Overall, the place is OK I guess-likely the most up scale hotel in the entire downtown vicinity. On the other hand, I need to bring to your attention on how tiny the bedding pillows are. I was in a room with a king size bed but the pillows were so small, three of them placed in a line would equal the size of a regular king size pillow at a normal hotel. They were like glorified marshmallows! Also, the toilet was something I would expect to see in a childs day care center for instance. It was so low to the floor, it made it very difficult to -- shall I say "de thrown" -- almost as if you were sitting on the floor itself. Additionally, I would never recommend walking around the neighborhood near the hotel at night unless you were with plenty of beefy companions or unless you were armed. I walked one block away during the evening in order to have dinner and during the walk back (after dark) four lovely street bums tried to roll me for money! I never saw any cops around during my 3 day stay either. Its a scary area after dark. Also, the hotel help was the worst! For example, I had room service one night. The guy bringing my food keep making a big deal of the fact that he personally filled my water glass with extra ice, all of the way to the top with fresh water prior to making the room delivery. Clearly, he was reaching for a bigger tip because of this specialized/personal service-ice and water! This was totally un acceptable behavior. Maybe ice and fresh water is a rare commodity in Alabama? But the bigger problem was when I was having breakfast. The help was more focused on "non-stop" texting and checking their iPhones than being useful to the customers. They were notably rude and ignorant and in my opinion, needed to be fired. The worst was when I asked one of the restaurant employees for some butter for my dried out pancakes! The young lady never make eye contact with me-only looking down at her iPhone and replayed "we's don'ts haves butters at dis location"! She was one of the laziest and rudest employees I've ever encountered in my 40 years of business travels. Oh by the way, don't even think you'll be able to use your Sprint phone at this hotel either. I was lucky to get one or maybe two signal strength bars during my stay at this rotten hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the river
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David W
Kevin W, Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
David W

I am writing to you in regards to your most recent stay at the Renaissance Montgomery. I do apolgize for any inconvenices you experienced. I have read your concerns and reviewed your comments with our Management Team. We will work to make corrections to improve our services. Thank You
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

The dear hubby and I often look for quick get aways. Decided to see a comedy show at the MPAC on June 7...it was great! Visited Winntzell's...it was good also.
This is our second visit in the last four months and we experienced the same issues. Rooms were nice, but not clean. The soap from the previous guest was still in the shower. The tray that holds the glasses was stained with soap/toothpaste from the previous guest. Duvet was dirty. I requested a clean duvet and the front desk stated that they would send one up...still waiting on it. On a good note, the Valets were excellent. Destini was very friendly and informative about the happenings in and around the hotel. I wish I could say the same for the front desk (cold and dry). This is a very nice hotel with a great location and has the potential to be world class.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Craig H, General Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel and Spa! Glad you enjoyed the comedy show at the Montgomery Performing Arts Center. I appreciate your comments regarding cleanliness of your room and will certainly address with our Housekeeping Team along with the Front Desk service. In addition, tthank you for the kind comment regarding valet service and Destini. We will be sure to recognize her for her performance. Hope you will be back for a third visit!

Again, many thanks.
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Friday, June 13th - Sunday, June 15th
Pros:
1. Location, location, location - We came in from Memphis to see a show at the GPAC which is connected to the hotel. I can't tell you how convenient that was especially since it takes me forever to get ready and I am usually late. GPAC on one end and Wintzell's Oyster House on the other end, yum! It's also located near the Civil Rights attractions and other great restaurants. We walked most places. Except it took a 20 minute drive to find a Walgreens which we thought was very strange as there's one on every corner in Memphis.

2. Very reasonable priced
3. Beautiful building, lux accommodations, spa
4. Friendly, knowledgeable staff
5. Quiet
6. Bed slept great

Cons:
1. $19 per day valet parking vs $ 12 per day self parking o_O.
2. No breakfast
3. We didn't get housekeeping service on Saturday until well after 5:00 p.m.
4. Three separate visits from housekeeping before 11 a.m. on check out day
5. Smoke alarm wouldn't shut off in room after a smoky blow dryer made it go off (don't ask). Even after security and maintenance showed up. They had to call corporate to reset the alarm

To some people this may not seem like a 4 star rating but for me and my honey who love to travel and needed this little bit of a getaway it was great. The pros above are what we look for in hotel accommodations so we take everything else in stride.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Craig H, General Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and was able to discover some local attractions. Hope you will visit us again.

Regards.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

The hotel itself is really nice. Great location right downtown. The rooms were clean and comfortable with large bathrooms. They have a separate shower and tub which you don't see a lot. Check in was a little slow without even a big line. The pool is on the roof and is very nice. So now the valet. It was $19, which is crazy for Montgomery. I can see this for Chicago but come on. So we call down and end up waiting 20 minutes for the car. There are 6 people working, they all asked if we needed help, said yes and then nothing changed. I just needed something out of the car and when I told them they could take it back he gave me attitude about not needed to drive the car. The next time it took 20 minutes again. When we were ready to check out, the car was right in front and I was sitting in it. When my finance gave them the ticket they made me get out to pull it to the door. Really?! Anyways I would stay again but never valet.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Kevin W, Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery and thank you for your feedback. I have read your comments and reviewed your concerns with AAA Parking Management. We will use your comments to help improve our services. I do apologize for any inconveniences you experienced and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Got there at 3 on Sunday afternoon and they said check in is not until 4. Ok... 4pm comes around and still no room ready. "The hotel was sold out last night" I was told. The lobby started to look like a refugee camp with people waiting for their rooms. Nowhere left to sit. After 3 trips to the desk asking we were finally handed keys at 5:15pm. If I had not pushed them it would have taken longer. This is a beautiful property but was way understaffed to be that busy.

Valet parking guys were overly chatty, a bit smug and had to comment on my old Volvo. "You don't see many of these." "I like this car" was all I could say. The other one asked, "Where are WE coming from?" I just got in the car that you don't see many of anymore and left.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kevin W, Manager at Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Montgomery. I have read your comments and reviewed your concerns with our staff. First and foremost I do apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced. Our goal is to address your concerns and improve our services. Once again I do apologize and we look forward to serving you in the future.