Hampton Inn & Suites Montgomery-Downtown
      Key West Inn(Montgomery)
      • Breakfast included
      Candlelight Inn(Montgomery)
      View Hotel
      All reviewsgreat locationvalet parkinghistoric buildingwithin walking distancehank williams museumstreet noiserestaurants and barsrosa parks museumvalet servicestate capitolbaseball stadiumnice hotelcivil rightsper daystay there againhistorical sitesconvention center
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed 6 August 2009

I travel a good bit on business and I must say that this hotel is one of the best! I applaud the Hampton Inn for its beautiful renovation and reuse of the beautiful historic hotel building in downtown Montgomery. It is an example of thoughtful development and historic preservation. The rooms, and indeed the entire hotel, are newly decorated with modern decor. The beds are divine and the staff is the nicest that you will ever meet. They truly made my stay a pleasure. A bonus is the short walk to the riverwalk, restaurants, and pubs. A must stay while in Montgomery!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
      Reviewed 19 July 2009

I love staying at Hampton Inns, it's generally my top choice and I always find the staff courteous, friendly, polite, and helpful. Until I stayed at the recently built Hampton Inn in downtown Montgomery. The hotel itself is beautiful, the rooms nicely decorated, and the location convenient with a few restaurants nearby in a historic area that is currently being revitalized. It should have been a perfect stay except for the woman at the desk when I checked in. I've never been made more uncomfortable. When I arrived she was assissting another guest with directions, and the young man behind the desk told me the woman would help me and continued to prop up the counter behind him. So I waited for several minutes, no problem.
      "Can I help you?" Somehow, she made it sound like I was bothering her, and she couldn't imagine what I could possibly want. It wasn't as if I had been drumming my fingers,I had been standing their silently with my luggage, admiring the lobby (it's quite attractive, with a decorated ceiling, and divided staircase). She seemed disappointed when I said I had a reservation, as if ready to tell me "no vacancy." She went through the check in process with as few words as possible to me, unitl she handed me my room key and annonuced loudly, "You're in room 403."
      Hotel staff are generally trained not to say room numbers aloud for the safety of the guests--and women staying in unfamiliar cities alone should be particularly cautious. Having just read an article on travel safety that noted this very situation, I politely requested a different room and that she not announce the room number.
      "Why?" she demanded. Not wanting to compound the situation by explaining that I was a woman travelling alone, I mentioned having read an article about travel safety. She grudgingly rekeyed the room card, wrote down the new room number, and handed it to me without a word. I stood a moment longer, waiting for her to hand me a receipt as she busied herself with the computer. It took a moment for me to realize that she was done with me, and had no intention of saying another word. So finally, as she turned pointedly to the next guest, I asked where I should park.
      "We have valet."
      There had been no valet sign, stand, or actual valet when I pulled up (nor did I ever see a sign of one during my stay), so I asked about self-parking.
      "The lot's across the street. Put this on your dash." She handed me a piece of paper. "Can I help you?" she asked the next guest, dismissing me.
      When I went to park, I found there were two lots across the street. I parked in one, but that didn't seem right, then tried the other, but that didn't look right either. Finally, I had to walk back to the hotel and inquire which lot, and felt very grateful that there was a different person on duty. Not only did this man great me with a friendly smile, he walked outside to see where I parked, then explained that I had to go down a side street, and through a black building to reach their lot (which was unmarked). I obviously never would have figured this out on my own, and I couldn't believe the woman at the desk hadn't told me these details--or maybe I could.
      The rest of the staff was polite, friendly and courteous, and I tried to excuse this woman's behavior to a bad night, but she was at the desk the next morning and ignored me when I walked up to drop off my key. A young man loitering behnd the desk beside her reluctantly picked up my key card and I left as quickly as possible.
      The only other thing that made my stay unpleasant was the noise. There's a train that passes nearby every hour on the hour--I know this because each time it woke me I looked at the clock, which was at about 1 am, 2 am, 3 am, (I think I actually managed to sleep through 4 am), 5 am, and 6 am.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
      2  Thank ChrissyHny
      Reviewed 8 July 2009

The rooms are comparable to any nice hotel anywhere but the room key had to be redone everytime I left the room. It was a nuisance. The home-baked cookies at night are to-die-for. They have quite a spread for breakfast too.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
      2  Thank LRandle
      Reviewed 17 June 2009

With the exception of the work on the Children's Museum the place was extremely quiet. I stayed for 2 nights for business and simply walked across the street to the Convention Center with a bad foot. So the courteous staff carried my belongings over for me.

My company travels here alot, therefore I have recommended the hotel to our staff as the besst play to stay now.

Lastly the rennovations are great. I was a bit fearful as I had not stayed at a Hampton Inn, but instead across the street at the Embassy Suite mostly. However, for the price (especially in this economy where travel budgets are being cut) this place is well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
      1  Thank gs02dnj
      Reviewed 17 May 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the downtown Hampton Inn. The hotel was quiet, clean and beautifully renovated. The hotel combines new with the old. The location was great for walking to the ballpark, restaurants, etc. In the future, the hotel will be directly next door to the new children's museum. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business