“Excellent salads and espresso drinks”

Cool Beans at Cafe d'Art
Ranked #169 of 458 Restaurants in Montgomery
Price range: US$2 - US$15
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Seating
Description: Looking for an oasis in the heart of downtown Montgomery? Find your way to Cool Beans! We aren’t exactly urban pioneers, but we think we helped seed the downtown revitalization with our presence and perseverance. It is part of our mission to keep that progress going!You’ll love Cool Beans’ urban, sophisticated and colorful atmosphere. But it’s the food and coffee that keeps bringing people back! Cool Beans serves healthy delicious food (how often do you get those in one mouthful?) with international, often Mediterranean flavors, and everything is homemade! Every day Shari and her staff cook up something different. So you might find Spicy Island Black Bean or Chicken Chipotle on the soup menu. Entrée specials like Nouveau Eggplant Parmesan or African Spicy Shrimp are unusual variations and boast healthful ingredients and preparation and are sure to satisfy! (See the list of our “Greatest Hits”.) Nothing is fried here. One of the most popular dishes is the Grace Kelly, a chicken salad that shuns mayonnaise and sports Shari’s signature balsamic vinaigrette.Cool Beans makes every effort to serve locally grown and organic produce whenever possible. Sandwiches are no ordinary affair. The bread is crusty and worth a visit in itself. An artisan roaster roasts the coffee, all Fair Trade and Organic. You won’t find better!There’s no better time to explore Cool Beans’ fare than at breakfast. On Friday’s Shari does special treats like Sweet Potato Waffles or Panetone French Toast. You’ll find real bagels from New York (H&H, for those in the know), baked fresh each morning, as well as a muffin that packs enough nutrients and flavor to last all day! When you order a Breakfast Bagel, notice that the Canadian bacon is nitrate and nitrite-free! It’s part of Shari’s commitment to serving REAL food, nothing artificial, no preservatives, in season and as local as possible!Desserts change according to the chef’s whimsy but we always have our Old Fashioned Coconut Layer Cake, a sweet ending to any meal.Don’t forget Cool Beans when it’s time to party. We are happy to design a private party to meet your special event needs. Cool Beans looks especially classy by candlelight!You can sign up to receive daily email alerts announcing our daily specials.
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent salads and espresso drinks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Relaxing environment and very good food--an oasis in Downtown Montgomery. It's not cheap by local standards, but the fresh and innovative dishes are worth it, and a couple of big booths facilitate business lunches or group gatherings.

Visited June 2013

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Mmmm barbecue!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

Great restaurant with lots of atmosphere.Had the ribs and delicious sweet potato fries.messy but super sauce and succulent ribs.

Visited April 2013
Auburn, Alabama
“Fresh & Healthy Lunch Option”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

Love their menu and the food is always fresh and very good. It's a nice alternative to the usual fried or bbq lunch in Montgomery. Yes, service can be a little slow but I've never had a problem getting back to work on time. My friend says their coffee is really good (I don't drink coffee at lunch).

• Visited April 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Serviceable Coffee Shop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Quick stop on the way to a business meeting while in Montgomery. Nice decor and good service. Shari's Muffin was darn tasty. Drip coffee was good, but nothing out of the norm.

Good mix a people flowing through as well.

• Visited July 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
“Tasty food, slow service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I arrived about 11:15 a.m. on a Thursday for lunch. There were 2 other couples already seated and no one in line. Our order was promptly taken. My husband ordered the turkey burger (it is absolutely FANTASTIC) and I got the Roberto B. (can't remember the last name) pasta. The turkey burger was served on a ciabatta roll with a side of greens. The burger had black beans, corn and red peppers (I think) in it. It also seemed to have a bit of sweetness. The pasta was ricotta filled with spinach and had pesto, red peppers, parmesan and feta on it. It was really good as well, but I would have loved more pesto on it. I thought it was a bit pricey for a pasta ($11.99). It did not come with any greens, bread or anything in addition to the pasta. I believe the turkey burger was $8.99, which seems reasonable for a burger. It took about 20 minutes or so for our food to arrive, which was reasonable. No one comes around to see if you want a drink refill, even though you are encouraged (there's a tip jar on the counter) to leave a tip (we left it on our credit card). Besides the person running the register, there was 2 other young women making food. I had to stand in line behind 4-6 people to get a tea refilled. After waiting for 10 minutes for tea, I asked one of the young women as she came near where I was for the refill. She gladly did it after I asked, but they saw me standing there with the glass, so it would have been nice if they would have asked me if I wanted a refill rather than having me stand there while others ordered. A tea refill is a pretty quick thing. We are not from the area and have been living in Montgomery less than a year and this type of restaurant (fresh salads, unique sandwich combinations, pastas) doesn't seem to be a typical restaurant for the area, which is a very good thing! The menu seems fairly healthy and the vibe is somewhat eclectic. We enjoyed our food very much, although again, it seems a bit pricey for what you get, but perhaps that's because they use what seems to be more fresh ingredients.

• Visited April 2012