“Do NOT stay here!! Read all reviews!”

Econo Lodge & Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Northport
“Do NOT stay here!! Read all reviews!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

We went for a family graduation. My family checked in but we never made it to our rooms. It was the only place in town that had available rooms. Now we know why. After reading other reviews we checked for bed bugs....we found evidence of them. Went to front desk to report them and the lady at the front desk said....I told him he should have taken care of that a month ago. Obviously, other reports. The manager does not want to check for the bugs at night. That's not his policy.....duh....bed bugs only come out at night! One family member had a male come into her room after banging on the door...said he needed to check the room. Very sketchy! Probably came to steal something. They had just checked in and got into the room. The man had to know someone was occupying the room if in fact he was a legit cleaning guy..... Please do not stay here. Sketchy!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Wandawo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

If you stay here be sure to avoid the rats and the expired food.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank travelinman1987

Travellers are raving about these Northport hotels

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

If you want fancy, this is not the place for you. But it is clean and the employees are very nice from housekeeping to Becky,at the front desk, to Jack, the manager. We got in late and got the last room and it was a smoking room, but Becky gave us Fabreze and some other odor spray and we left the door open for a while and it wasn't so terrible. The next morning we were moved to a non smoking room and it was clean and comfortable. THe toilet seat was loose and I told Jack and it was fixed when we got back from visiting the campus. The location is great as there is lots of fast food, restaurants and shopping nearby and the campus is 2 miles away. The breakfast does not seem adequate but we ate nearby and never tried the breakfast in the lobby. The other visitors were very pleasant and I felt safe with my 2 daughters.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Furiousinflorida
Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

We stayed during a football weekend in Tuscaloosa, so the $75 room went for over $200, Ouch.
There were no other rooms to be found within 30 miles.
On entering the room, there was an odor, like a bad copy of Febreze.
The mattress was too soft and the linens appeared clean and worn.
The previous occupant of the room had barfed in the bathroom and housekeeping had not removed the detritus from around the hinges of the toilet seat. (I did all my business standing up).
Given the general questionable cleanliness, I was halfway afraid of the tap water, and certainly not excited about visiting the shower.
The room did have a microwave.
The complimentary continental breakfast was stale cereal (choice of 3 in questionable dispensers), pour your milk from a gallon carton (not newly opened that morning), bananas, 2 juices in a dispensing machine, some mini-muffins, and you could sit at two tables in the lobby. I went to the nearby Publix grocery and used the microwave to heat breakfast sandwiches that I bought. I saw two other guests drive to a nearby McDonalds and return with breakfast for their families.
I actually felt unclean when I left the EconoLodge. It would be worth driving on to Montgomery or Birmingham to avoid staying here.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank dojohn
Mississippi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

This is the worst experience I have had in a hotel EVER! I checked in and the first room I was assigned had electrical problems - the AC and lights on one half of the room did not work. The room key worked on every third try. I wish I could say that was the worst of it.

After arguing with me over the room key not working, the clerk reluctantly moved me to another room. As with first, this room was extremely outdated and shabby looking. My first instinct was to spray it down with Lysol.

No Alarm clock, no coffee maker . . . and the mattress sagged in the middle. Burn holes in the bedspread. The sheets were threadbare and scratchy . . .or at least I thought it was the sheets that were itching.

The next morning I woke to realize I had bites on my arms, legs, back and torso. Later it was determined they were both flea and bedbug bites.

I was getting into the shower, I heard a knock on the door. The door was locked and latch closed so I ignored it. A few minutes later someone BANGED on the door. I got out of the shower to find that the housekeeper had beat on the door until the latch had come open and he let himself it. Through the bathroom door I asked him to come back at a later time . . . to which he told me he had to clean to room. He seemed to have a very poor understanding of English.

I immediately got dressed and packed up. I called the Choice Hotels customer service line and was released from the remaining 2 nights of the reservation. They were gracious enough to locate another hotel in the area and confirm a reservation for me. The clerk refused to check me out. He continually argued with me that there was nothing wrong with my room. He kept telling me that he would put me in another room. (again, very poor grasp of English) He demanded to know where I would be staying when I left. It took over 20 minutes for him to agree to check me out. at first he refused to give me a receipt. Since this was a business trip, I needed the itemized receipt.

After checking in to the new hotel, the General Manager of the Econolodge called to ask me what happend. I explained the situation to him, told him that the hotel was dirty, I had bug bites and that I did not feel safe staying there. He told me there was nothing wrong with his hotel and that I should not have refused a room upgrade. He demanded to know where I was staying and why did I not request one of his other properties instead of cancelling the remaining reservation? (I had no idea he had more than one -- not that I would have stayed there)

I again had to call Choice Hotels customer service and request that I not be contacted by this property manager again. I felt the actions of the clerk and manager bordered on harassement!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank likes2go2
Watertown, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

My sister and i just stayed at Econo Lodge in Northport , AL. It is disgusting - we found bedbugs in our beds! The best part is, the manager said he didn't know what they were, and he didn't have any other rooms, so he said he could change our sheets. (If we knew they were bedbugs we would have slept in our car!) So, he let us sleep in a room with bedbugs, and then the next day when we realized what we saw (thank god for google) we returned to the motel to check out. We said we were not going to pay to sleep with bugs - the manager insisted he was charging us for this one night, because we didn't check out by 11am!! But he comped the bug night - wow, how generous. It's completely ridiculous that he would expect us to pay one cent after he lied and let us stay in a room with bedbugs. It was a terrible place - DON'T EVER stay there!! Run for your life....... a nasty place.
Plus, we were completely overcharged for such a dump - we talked to other people who paid one third what we were charged.

• Liked — The location is convenient to the event we attend.
  • Disliked — It is filthy - it has bedbugs!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank cathykentuck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northport
BEST WESTERN Catalina Inn
Hampton Inn Tuscaloosa-University
Hotel Capstone
Hotel Capstone
#5 of 35 in Tuscaloosa

Been to Econo Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!