“I haven't been to Jimmy's lately”
Review of Jimmy's - CLOSED

Jimmy's
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Need to go soon, husband loves, loves cajun style eating!! Jimmy's has an elegant atmosphere, great service and an interactive chef.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

I love New Orlean's style food and it's great flavors. This was the reason we made the 50 mile round trip to try Jimmy's. Jimmy's is located in the restored old downtown area of small town Opelika, Alabama, along with several other restaurants. The atmosphere is nostalgic and the ambience of the restaurant was very pleasing. We were promptly seated and soon greeted by the owner, which made us feel at home and added a special touch to our experience.
We decided to try "Jimmy's Taste of New Orleans" @ $18.95, which is a sampler of Shrimp and Grits, Jambalaya, & Crawfish Etouffe`e, plus a cup of gumbo @$4.50. Our meal was delicious and I would have rated it excellent except the food was luke warm and not hot.*
The menu offeres a number of New Orleans favorites plus several Southern Tradition choices. Main course meals ranged in price from $16 to $25.
They offer soups, gumbo and oyster stew, plus four salad selections, along with a number of appetizers with prices ranging from $6 to $14. Beverages of all types are available and Jimmy's is honored by Wine Specator "for having one of the most outstanding restaurant wine list in the world." Reservations are suggested
* Serving food hot to the table seems to be an ongoing issue and is something I hope the owners will address. This one thing would make this a must visit restaurant, when in the area.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

We eat here a lot, my daughter loves the little corn reads they serve with every meal. Too many great foods to list. And Jimmy's is so good we get a turkey fried from their for thanksgiving and a ham for Christmas.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

I'm on a work trip, and I seem to have taken on the task of finding something that everyone can agree on for dinner. Well, while in the South, I decided us Yankees (2 Philadelphians, a Pittsburgh transplant, and a Columbus, OH visitor) should go out for Creole/Cajun...ya know, that whole "when in Rome...." thing. I found Jimmy's on Yelp, and then went to the web to check out their menu and we all agreed it was going to be tonight's choice. I'm so happy we did, too!

We all enjoyed our dinners, and I'm actually a little apalled by the negative reviews on here. We found the service to be very good, we were seated almost immediately, and I even emailed earlier in the day to see if we needed reservations, and I got an email from Jimmy, who told me there would be a table waiting.

I couldn't decide on just one thing, so I ordered a cup of gumbo and Jim's Taste of the New Orleans, which was a Chef's choice of three of the New Orleans style dinners. I don't know if it varies by nights, but on this particular night, the Taste of the South consisted of jambalaya, Crawfish Etoufee, and Shrimp and Grits, and a fried green tomato on the side. The gumbo was wonderful....just a little bit of heat, and served over rice. I wasn't sure I was going to like the jambalaya or the crawfish etoufee, but once I tasted each of them, I couldn't wipe the smile from my face. The shrimp and grits was so rich, but fantastic!

I didn't partake, but it was Wednesday, and they had a Tapas special for $4.95 for selected appetizers and glasses of wine, also at $4.95/glass. Jimmy's has an extensive wine list, and lots of beer and other "harder" drinks.

I had so much to eat, I didn't have room for dessert....and I really wish I did. I hope I get sent back down to Opelika in a few years for the job I am working on, just so I can revisit and chow down all over again!

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful evening!

1  Thank GreyhoundGirlie
Reviewed 9 November 2012

The food wasn't bad and the service was OK. The problem was how the management dealt with a discount coupon. They refused to honor their own (unexpired) coupon and were unpleasant. Not going back,