Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Opelika
A TripAdvisor Member
“what a find”
Reviewed 20 July 2003

What a great find! This place is outstanding. Brand new and has great amenities. A first class hotel on one of the most beautiful golf courses anywhere. Price was very reasonable for the quality. Staff was friendly and helpful. Great pool and fitness center.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Reviewed 16 July 2003

Okay since I'm the first reviewer, I'll give everyone an overview. The Lodge, as they call it, is a destination resort in Opelika, AL. Let's face it here people, you're going to the middle of nowhere. No one stays here to be in Opelika. For one thing, its quite no where near Opelika in the first place. Its set in a two thousand acre nature preserve on the edge of town. The hotel mainly caters to conferences, some weddings, and golf vactioners like myself. For the golfer this is the perfect hotel while you play the 54 holes of golf at the accompaning Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail facility, Grand National.
Hence the name, get it. The hotel has an aura of a cheap interpretation of a hunting lodge from the Rocky Mountains. You arrive at the hotel via a lengthy winding road through the forrest (don't be surprised if you spot a deer or two). There is a qaint artificial pond in front of the hotel that has a quaint little water fall on one side that really makes my quaint little architectural sensibilities want to take a quaint little hurl. The lobby is a soring masterpiece in hunter green and stone. It has a fireplace and some ammazing trusses in the ceiling.
The front office staff is helpful and for the most part local. I stayed in thier presidential suite so I didn't have a option of where my room was. The hotel was a bit confusing trying to find my room. But once I located it, I had no troubles thereafter. My suite was nice, your standard pres suite: sitting room/dinning room with kitchen and a king size bedroom with a spacious bath. It was on the fourth floor and provided a great view of the Grand Lawn, Fairway, and Saugahatchee lake beyond. But what really did impress me was the fireplace in the sitting room. I was there in June when it was 95 degrees but I couldn't help myself from turning it on anyway. While there I checked into the other room types they had. There is also an Executive Guest room which occupies the corners of the hotel and has a sitting rooom and kitchenette. There is a junior suite which I liked the best. I'm not a fan of the kiitchen thing (I mean what's the point, hotel restaurant, room service, and who actually cooks on vaction or brings thier chef along), and the Jr suite gives way to more bedroom over the kitchenette. Then are the standard guest rooms either with 1 king bed or 2 queen beds. All rooms have private balconies overlooking the resort grounds, and great baths with both a shower and bathtub. Request a room on the fourth floor, they have the best views of the lake. My favorite room at the hotel is 421 it's a double queen but the view is regal. If your looking to stay here because of a conference, you're in for a real treat. Their conference facilities are fantastic. The highlight is thier amphitheatre. It's decked out with all the latest technology, including video conferencing. The hotel's restaurant, The Lakeview Room, has no view of the lake oddly enough. Butt, I did find the food to be quite good and the wine list was a really unexpected surprised for Opelika, AL. The food was classically American but inventive. I had the roasted rack of lamb and an appetizer of grilled prawns and found it to be delicious. (Though I didn't try it, they have a fennel and watercress salad that looked particularly inventive for the locale.) I paired dinner with an excellent spanish crianza the Ramirez Piscina '97. And after finishing a whole bottle by myself I was quite thankful that the beds in the rooms are very comfortable. The golfing was excellent, and throughout my stay I found the staff to be freindly and willing to help with whatever I needed. In summary, for those still with me, It was a very nice hotel that was at the same time instantly forgettable. Unless I'm playing golf at Grand National or have a conference there, I will probably never go again. I just wouldn't have reason to. It's a destination resort without a whole lot of destination. But if you are going to play golf at Grand National or you have to go for a conference, look forward to a pleasant stay.

13 Thank michaelbC399NW
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
Hampton Inn & Suites - Opelika
The Hotel at Auburn University
Courtyard Auburn
Courtyard Auburn
#3 of 17 in Auburn
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika
Fairfield Inn & Suites Auburn Opelika
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn

Been to Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National

Property: Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Address: 3700 Robert Trent Jones Trl, Opelika, AL 36801-1118
Region: United States > Alabama > Opelika
#2 Business Hotel in Opelika
#3 Romantic Hotel in Opelika
#4 Family Hotel in Opelika
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National 3.5*
Overlooking the award-winning Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National is on par with the nation's most distinctive facilities and accommodations. Nestled on 2,000 acres of lakefront countryside, our Auburn hotel's exceptional golf and business retreat is located in the quaint, historic town of Opelika. Our property is situated on the shores of Lake Saugahatchee, offering a peaceful and serene atmosphere and featuring access to 54 holes of championship golf. Escape from ordinary hotels in Auburn, AL and indulge in our spacious guest rooms with complimentary high-speed Internet access and stunning views from your own private balcony. Guests love our swimming pools, fitness center, and on-site dining options. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Marriott, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HRS, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marriott Auburn Opelika At Grand National Hotel Opelika