Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Opelika
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed here during December for Auburn graduation ceremonies. Its a little far from campus, tucked back in a golf community. The hotel was quiet, the room was well appointed and maintained. The bathroom was spacious with a large stand-up shower. The beds were standard Marriott and were comfortable (as they usually are). If I ever find myself in need of a relaxed golf vacation, or and am in need of lodging close to the university I will definitely consider a stay at the Marriott again!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank mlynch3261
Jay P, Manager at Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

So glad to have you stay with us during Auburn Graduation. We are about 15 minutes or so from campus and have a lot of campus visitors stay with us. I hope you're able to come back again soon.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I am a long time Marriott rewards member and an ambassador of the brand, but this Marriott feel short and for the first time in my travels failed to deliver the Marriott experience. My rating is directly tied to my expectation for a Cat 5 Marriott hotel.

First, if you plan to charge someone to use your Gameroom then do not post it as an event without adding an " * " or something to indicate a charge. Charging $10 to use a pool table is absurd when again this is supposed to be a Category 5 hotel catering to its guests. I shared my displeasure with the first person I saw in your restaurant (important note here later) who told me that yes they charge and there is nothing that can be done and directed me to the front desk. I go to the front desk who tells me, Oh yeah it is a charge but its only $10 for an hour which is reasonable. Really?? I continued to ask questions express my displeasure and was told well you can talk to the manager in the bar downstairs - I will tell him you are coming. Seriously? No, sir I understand your frustration let me assist or I will ask the manager to come to you. So far there are numerous opportunities, I go downstairs talk to the manager and he says the same. I again state the obvious, you have NOTHING to do for your guests that is not outside and do to the weather (30's) who is going outside. He begrudgingly opens the room, but as of now the joy and pleasure of playing has left. Way to make a customer feel good - FAILURE.

Secondly, I make plans to visit your restaurant (remember the person who was working there earlier) and when I go to the restaurant - it is CLOSED at 9PM. I see someone walking by and they tell me that because the hotel is not full that the restaurant is not being opened. WHAT!!!! I go up to the front desk and am told the same thing, and no offers. No, sir is there something special you would like and we can have it made. Nothing, no apology or anything. Again MEGA-FAILURE in the customer service area. So, I am left to traveling outside where the only thing open is McDonalds. Upon my return, the "manager" asks about my stay and I share the above. He looks at me blankly and says he will pass it on to the GM. Why did you just waste my time in asking a question that you do nothing about?

So overall:
1) Staff is kind, but customer service and empowerment is a failure
2) Better communication on events and amenities
3) Repair your ice machine as it was broke
4) In-room amenities are fine, but iron and board need to be checked and replaced
5) Is this a Category 5 hotel? No, if you want a Category 2 then this would meet your expectations.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Steve M
Jay P, Manager at Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

I'm terribly sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. It is true that there is a charge to use our game room. We feel that this charge is apporporiate and affordable for the amenity that is provided. It is the only amenity that we charge. We provide fitness center, tennis center, and business center complimentary. It is not typical that this amenity is even offered in other hotels, so there is a slight charge for it.

The ice machine that you mentioned has been repaired. We were waiting for parts to arrive and that has now happened. Our restaurant was closed at 9pm, but our Sports Bar was open until 11pm and we serve the same menu for both facilities, so we would have been able to serve you. I'm sorry that this was not communicated to you properly. I hope that you have the opporunity to visit us again. Please feel free to contact me if would like to discuss further.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

The amenities are what made the hotel. The pools were nice, the bar areas were well appointed, the free popcorn was cool. The fire pit was very romantic.

We stayed the day after Christmas and the hotel was almost empty. We had the place to ourselves, which was nice. The staff spoiled us rotten! We played pool and poker. The free wi-fi was a bonus. The Thai wings were delicious too! The only disappointment was that the full breakfast wasn't available - only continental. Understandable considering the low occupancy, but it was an inconvenience.

The rooms were clean and the bathroom was well stocked. The common areas were beautifully decorated for Christmas. Before we left, we agreed that we'd make staying here an annual tradition.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GeorgiaPeach321
Jay P, General Manager at Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We would love to be your new Christmas tradition. Don't forget about us during our busier seasons as well. It's a little more crowded, but a lot of fun when you can enjoy that great pool and our other outdoor activities.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I joined some friends from a non-profit organization to have a meeting at this location. The day of the meeting the board room was well appointed. The service manager came to check on us and we told her we didn't need anything. She continued to hang around to assist people trying to find our meeting room. We told her everyone already knew where the room was and she didn't have to stay. She then asked if we would like to use the bar area for lunch and watch the Auburn/Missouri game. We told her that some of us would and others would not. She kept on saying she would go ahead and set up a time. We told her not to set up a time (we would get there when we got there). She kept asking us where our wives were and if they were going to join us after the meeting and didn't our wives want to eat at the bar too. We finally just asked the lady to leavel

Once we went to the bar the bartender continued to ask us why we were ordering sweet tea and hamburgers when this tab was being picked up by the "master account", meaning our association was picking up the tab. This made everyone uncomfortable so someone finally explained that we pay our own money into the association and wanted to be frugal with our expenses. The bartender and customer service manager who was also in there at the time didn't like that answer stating we should, "enjoy ourselves while you are here". We ate our burgers and left. They made us feel very uncomfortable by pushing the steaks and jack daniels off on us.

Before placing this review online I tried to contact hotel management. Jay Prater, the general manager, said it was nothing more than an overzealous bartender and there was just nothing he could do about that.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Stetson W
Jay P, Manager at Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank you for very much for your feedback and I also enjoyed speaking with you by phone. We certainly enjoyed hosting your group. Your feedback is very important to me and I have addressed the service issues that you experienced with the two staff members mentioned. Additional training has been conducted to insure that these situations are handled differently in the future. I certainly hope that we have the opportunity host your group again. Please feel free to contact me directly any time that you have concerns.

Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is out of the way but not too far away from it all, a perfect getaway spot. Plenty of outdoor space to relax and enjoy the serene setting. Room service is excellent and Donna in the restaurant was a pleasure to have as a server. Friendly and respectful, she really made my experience a great one. Love the balconies as well, comfortable chairs and lots of privacy. My room had a refrigerator which is always a bonus. As stated above the hotel could use a coat of paint but I would highly recommend it as a spot for some R and R!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We also love our secluded location. Donna does a great job for us and I know she will be glad to hear that you were happy with her service. By the way, we just added those refrigerators to the room because we had a lot of guests asking for them. I'm glad to see that it was important to you also. Touch up painting is done throughout the hotel on a daily basis. It is a big challenge to keep it up and we will contine to work on that. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I had a room block of over 75 rooms for my wedding and a rehearsal dinner at this property! The sales and events team made the planning so simple. They were great to keep us up to date on our pick up and so quick to respond to any questions. The food was such a delight and the banquet staff so professional! The poolside food and beverage team put up with us all weekend and made our experience so much fun! The housekeeping staff not only keeps the rooms spotless but called just to check to see if we needed anything additional!!! I and my guests felt like royalty at this property! It's incredible!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

We loved hosting your wedding guests. Your group was a lot of fun and we were so glad that you let us be a part of your special day. Thank you!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have stayed at this location for 2 game weekends this year and both times my experience was the same. Very nice staff, lovely area, nice amenities. Hotel does need updating. A new coat of paint, caulking and new carpeting would put this at the top of Marriott locations. The location is far out if your main attraction is Auburn University so plan for that. The golf is great! The view of the pool area and golf course is wonderful! Very quiet rooms and setting. Both times I had the best sleep ever! In Sept we had the suite style rooms. Not sure it was worth the extra unless you have kids who might need more space. My mothers room did not have a refrigerator but ours did. Oct. I had a regular room and that was just perfect.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

So glad that you enjoyed staying here for game weekends. What a great football season it has been! We are always making improvements and working on maintenance issues. We'll continue to try and improve. Like you, many of our guests comment about the peaceful night's sleep they get here. Being away from the highway and loud traffic does have it's advantages!!! By the way, since your last visit we have added refrigerators to every room. Many guests had requested them and now we have them! Come viist us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
Hampton Inn & Suites - Opelika
The Hotel at Auburn University
Best Western Auburn/Opelika Inn
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika
Home2 Suites by Hilton Opelika Auburn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Auburn

Been to Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National

Address: 3700 Robert Trent Jones Trl, Opelika, AL 36801-1118
Region: United States > Alabama > Opelika
#2 Business Hotel in Opelika
#3 Family Hotel in Opelika
#3 Romantic Hotel in Opelika
Price Range: £95 - £215 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National 3.5*
Overlooking the award-winning Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National is on par with the nation's most distinctive facilities and accommodations. Nestled on 2,000 acres of lakefront countryside, our Auburn hotel's exceptional golf and business retreat is located in the quaint, historic town of Opelika. Our property is situated on the shores of Lake Saugahatchee, offering a peaceful and serene atmosphere and featuring access to 54 holes of championship golf. Escape from ordinary hotels in Auburn, AL and indulge in our spacious guest rooms with complimentary high-speed Internet access and stunning views from your own private balcony. Guests love our swimming pools, fitness center, and on-site dining options. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marriott Auburn Opelika At Grand National Hotel Opelika