Review Highlights
Fantastic Golf Course

I have travelled to play Grand National on multiple locations. This time I would say the Lakes... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Schlimr
Toronto, Canada
Very nice course

Played The Lakes golf course and was impressed! Best fairways and greens I hit off of. Great golf... read more

Reviewed 10 October 2018
willh89
via mobile

All reviews links course rtj trail in great shape rtj courses driving range hole par stayed at the marriott top notch visiting the area take care saturday and sunday three times three courses capitol hill lakes holes clubhouse
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have travelled to play Grand National on multiple locations.
This time I would say the Lakes course was in fantastic condition as the greens were immaculate. Links course is more challenging and scenic however the greens were not in as good condition.
One comment as we played from Wednesday through Sunday and play on average 36 holes a day. That the rounds on both Saturday and Sunday where extremely slow and the Rangers did nothing to speed up play. The rest of the time it was fantastic.
Will return again.
A special thanks to Patrick out front who went out of his way and well above what is required to make our experience superb.
Thanks Patrick and all the best in your future endeavours.
Thanks,
Tim

Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

Played The Lakes golf course and was impressed! Best fairways and greens I hit off of. Great golf course!

Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

Here for a college visit and decided to play some golf. Beautiful course. Great playing environment. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed 12 September 2018

I booked a tee time on Sunday for a foursome for the following Saturday at 12:20pm and asked for an email confirmation. I heard nothing back. I re-entered the booking on Tuesday on their online site again, and again, no confirmation email...no call...no nothing. I also called 3 separate time on Tuesday, and let it ring literally like 40 times and no one picked up each time. Thus, I called Wednesday morning at 7:45am and a lady picks up. I asked if my booked tee time went through, and she says ummm, no. That time is booked. I said I tried twice to book it online, and she said oh yea...the online guy is out on vacation. How pathetic is that? Noone followed up by email or phone. She said the earliest tee time was 2:39pm on Saturday which didn't work for my party. We ended up booking at Moose Lake Golf Club so hopefully things go much better there. I know it can't get any worse than this clown show...

Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

Played weekend after the 4th. Staff is top notch especially for a public course. Very nice and plenty of people around if you need something.

Lakes Course (18 holes)- This is where the PGA Barbasol championship was held until this year. There is a lot of sand and some water but really not an overly difficult course. The greens were in the best shape I have ever seen or played on anywhere. Beautifully manicured, fast, green, true rolls. Fairways are plenty wide enough. You don’t have to drive it straight every hole.

Links Course(18)- note: there is nothing “links” about it. Why use that term? Anyway, another nice course and ironically more difficult than the PGA Lakes course. There is a lot of water and sand on this course, and lots of hazard and marshy areas as well. Plenty of holes you can just lay up on. My only question is why weren’t the greens in nearly as good of shape as the Lakes course? These greens were beat to death and not impressive. Slightly above average and not fast. Why not take care of them the same way as the Lakes course? Fairways are wide here as well. It feels very similar to the other course, other than the greens and more hazard areas.

This is easily the best public facility I have played on in Alabama. Don’t miss it.

I’m a 15-17 handicap. Nothing special. You will lose balls three times the balls on the links course. Plan accordingly.

Standard of Comparison: I reserve five stars for places like Brandon Dunes Oregon.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

My husband and I golfed here while visiting the area. We are newer to golf and played the links course which was challenging with lots of bunkers. There is also a lakes course. The course was very well maintained with views at every hole.
Well worth the time and price.

Reviewed 15 June 2018

Grand National was top shelf even though we played just a few days after the recent Tropical Storms moved through. We played Silver Lakes, Oxmoor and Capitol Hill and I think this was probably our favorite stop. Between the great Marriott resort property being right next to two top shelf courses it made everything perfect!

One thing to keep in mind, if you plan on hitting some balls before your round, give yourself some time as it's a bit of a cart ride to get to the driving range.

Reviewed 20 April 2018

Clubhouse staff was great and the facility is very nice, but I walk golf courses and struggle with courses that are built for golf carts. There are many courses on the RTJ Trail; this was one and done for me because it is not walkable.

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

We visited these courses as part of a package on the Robert Trent golf trail. Wonderful golf, staff very friendly and helpful, prices moderate although we hit there in a cold spell. Highly recommend the golf experience.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

I just returned from the weekend golfing the Links and the Lakes course with 3 buddies.
we could not of had more fun , due to the hospitality of everyone at the course all of the staff at the Marriott. Everyone we met could not of been more helpful and friendlier.
I am reading about the pace of play and the rangers, it is a fine line to keep everybody happy with the pace of play. We are 13-20 handicappers we played the whites and still had to let a twosome and foursome through. That is what you are supposed to do if you have quick golfers on your back. The staff thanked us for doing that. UNLIKE the staff at the Judge course.
Jonathan, recommended the judge so we golfed on Sunday, we had a twosome behind us and let them play through after third hole, we finished 9 holes we come off the green and the marshal says we are 8 minutes behind the pace and there is no one in sight. That pissed all four of us off, the rangers were constantly watching us and it did put a damper on our round. There was not a foursome behind us all day we finished in 4/1/2 hours. The judge was a beautiful course but the rangers are not friendly, and would rather stay and play at grand national. We are coming back next year!