“Not what it looked like in the pictures”
Review of Sugar Beach

Sugar Beach
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Orange Beach
Spring Hill
“Not what it looked like in the pictures”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I don't believe I am being too picky as I review the condo we just spent 3 night in. I am used to staying in nicer condos/hotels but I have stayed in my share of just 'so-so' places. In the pictures this place looked older but in great shape. When we arrived the parking area was poor we had to choose from the one elevator for 3 floors to a set a stairs to carry luggage up 4 flights. We get into the room, and yes I know it is an older building, but you can keep older things nice. It just hasn't had any tlc in a long time and it showed. We didn't think too much about it knowing that we would be spending much of our time at the beach. The condo had great beach access/views. The first night was peaceful. The second and third night we had a group of very rowdy teenagers next door that were making racket until 2am or later (yelling, banging things around, talking/playing music loudly on balcony) and we could not get ahold of any kind of security to complain. I've never experienced that even in my younger years in motels in PCB. Very disappointed. We will return to OBA but we will not be staying here.

5 Thank ashsharp26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Vinemont, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My daughter, son-in-law, their 3 children, ages 15, 8 and 5 and I visited a VRBO condo at Sugar Beach a couple of weeks ago. (Unit 325). This was a one bedroom, two bath unit with beach views. While it would seem a bit crowded to have all of us in a one bedroom condo, it was surprisingly comfortable. The kitchen is updated with stainless and under mount sink with plenty of cookware, dishes, silverware and utensils. The pull out couch was very comfortable and the upstairs bedroom spacious with a walk-in closet, full bath and king-size bed. We had a small balcony with a side view of Orange Beach. The pools were clean and not crowded, although that can certainly change at any time. We were a short elevator ride to the beautiful, white beaches. If we got hungry or thirsty, the Sugar Shack by the pool offered us a chance to purchase snacks and beverages at very reasonable rates. Parking was in a guarded, covered lot attached to the condos and well lit for those arriving late. While Sugar Beach is not a high-rise nor one of the newest vacation spots on the Gulf, Unit 325 is homey enough to feel comfortable with your children "touching" things yet updated enough for adults to feel relaxed in their surroundings. I recommend visiting the VRBO website and viewing this hidden surprise. We will certainly be making another trip there soon!

Room Tip: Unit 325 has side beach views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Suzann B
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This is an old condo complex. It needs paint and small repairs inside and out. With that said, it is a beach front complex with great views and great location. We stayed in room #142. It is a studio with full kitchen, Murphy bed and small balcony. I would only recommend this condo to less picky travelers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CottonMouse
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

First time coming to Orange Beach, AL with friends that been staying here for the last few years; who said good things as well. We stayed in rm #357 and had decent accommodations for my family of 4. Great location for the beach & has 3 1/2 pools too. Always something to do that's close to the condo or just a short drive in either direction for retailers or food. Would like to come back soon!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

My two sons and I visited orange beach for 3 days. Since most properties require a one week minimum stay, we were happy to get this condo right on the beach. We knew that the condo would be small. That wasn't the problem. First, there was no wifi. I called and followed the instructions but it kept going out. There was pretty good wifi access at the pool area. Second, if you use the outlet in the bathroom, the power in the room will go out. Luckily, we figured out how to flip the breaker switch. Second, the balcony door was difficult to open and close. But that didn't matter because it was not a very pleasant place to sit. The window unit (that runs continuously) blows hot air on you on the tiny balcony that overlooks an adjacent parking lot. If you crane your neck you can see the ocean. The furniture out there is plastic crap. Kitchen drawers were broken. There was a wall that could have used some hooks for hanging things as the space is tiny. I would only rent this place for two maximum. There were three of us and the futon was uncomfortable. The hallways were prison like. I'm no prima Donna but this place was a dump. On the plus side, it is right on the beach. Great location. The pool and concession area is nice. I would recommend that the owners shut this place down and do a complete renovation. It's old and it shows. Nevertheless we enjoyed orange beach and gulf shores.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Lrpeach

Travellers are raving about these Orange Beach hotels

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I absolutely loved this place ! We stayed in unit 177 which is perfect for 2 people ! We rented through Brett Robinson #BRbeachlife and was pleasantly surprised at how nice our condo was ! We originally picked this condo for the great low price not knowing how nice it was going to be . It was super clean and decorated so nicely ! Absolutely loved the updated shower ! Going to the beach from our unit was effortless , great beach access ! they had a snack bar and 3 pools plus one just for small kids ! The location was great ! Very relaxed atmosphere ! Had a great place to eat fresh seafood across the street that we thoroughly enjoyed ! I would recommend this place to everyone!!! I give it a 5 star

1 Thank WendyDCampbell
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We were very happy with our stay at Sugar Beach! The rooms are nice and clean with comfy beds. We really enjoy having a snack bar beside the pool area that serves everything from hamburgers to mixed drinks. They also sell items you may have forgotten such as sunscreen, pool floats and Tylenol. The condo is located on the beach with chair & umbrella service available for a fee. The chair attendants will even go back and forth to the snack bar (sugar shack) for you. There are only 3 floors so elevator wait time was minimal. We also love that there are 3 pools to pick from and also a kiddie pool. We will definitely be booking here again with Brett Robinson realty. They are an awesome company to book with. We have booked with them for years now and they have always exceeded our expectations!

1 Thank Mahala007