“Great beach location”

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Orange Beach
San Antonio, Texas
“Great beach location”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We just returned from a short family trip to Orange Beach. We have visited Florida many times, but had never been to the gulf in Alabama. We were pleasantly surprised at how nice the beach was.

We had a side-view suite with two beds and a sofa bed. Our room was a good size for 5 people. It was expensive, but worth if for the short time we were there.

The hotel was nice and very clean inside. The breakfast was ok, but not great. It was crowded, but there was plenty of seating. We ate outside both days.

My only criticism would be that I thought the staff at the hotel wasn't very friendly. From our check-in until when we left I felt they were indifferent to our being there. I found this unusual because every other person we had contact with while in Orange Beach was very friendly.

We would stay here again if we had the chance.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
HamptonOB, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Orange Beach, AL. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, but not happy to hear that you found our staff to be indifferent towards you being here. I apologize that our staff was not friendly. I can assure you that our team is excited to have all of our guests here and hate that you did not feel welcomed by our team. We appreciate your business and hope you get an opportunity to visit us again in the future.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I admit it...I am a hotel snob and they only reason I did not give a 5 is I expect a lot for that. This hotel was great. The breakfast was good I only wish they had more waffle machines. The lobby was always sand free and clean. Cookies at night was a night touch. The hotel sits right on the beach and the beach is fabulous. The pool was nice but I do with it opened before 9 am. Our mini suite room was nice for a family of three and the balcony a good size. We will definitely return. We came with a large group and there was never a issue with all the kids.

Room Tip: The end rooms have a little bigger balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Orange Beach, AL. We could not be happier to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your kind words. I agree that we are in need of additional waffle makers, that is actually something that we are looking into. Also, in regards to the pool hours, we open at 9am to give our team a chance to get in a make sure that it is clean and the chemicals in the pool are at the levels needed for the safety of our guests. We are grateful for your business and hope you get a chance to visit us again in the future.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was our 2nd trip this summer and 3rd summer in a row! We love staying at this hotel! The staff are overly friendly and helpful! Hotel has a resort feel! Pool area is very relaxing. Beach area is not crowded. Love walking the beach day and night! We will be back as soon as we can!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
HamptonOB, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review yet another great stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Orange Beach, AL. We could not be happier to hear that after an entire year you chose to come back and enjoy our hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to your future visit. Thank you for taking the time for noticing our outstanding team, we are grateful to have a team that truly takes pride in their job and I look forward to sharing your review with everyone so that we can celebrate another job well done.

Little Rock, United States
Reviewed 10 August 2014

On arrival, while paying the bill, the check-in staff accidentally swiped my friends debit card twice, thus, charging her over $1,000, instead of the initial $579 she was supposed to pay. They said that they would put a release on that accidenal extra charge, and it would be put back in her account the following morning/afternoon. By the next night, her money was still not back in her account. Then, after dinner that first night, I was checking my online banking transactions, and noticed on top of my initial $579 for my part of the room, I was also charged a random $162.49, and $279(which then changed to $579 the NEXT day after that, as well! My friend and I are both full time nursing students, and have been saving up for this trip since last October. We came down on a fixed budget, and we definitely did not* have any money to spare on an accident, especially that much of one. After the extra random charges that were billed to my account, I was put in the negative. Therefore, I had 4 more days at the beach, with literally no money to spend. Not for dinner, not for shopping, or doing any of the activities we were looking forward to doing while at the beach. Each day we asked the staff to help fix the problem, and each day we got the same answer--"it will be back in your account tomorrow." Which didn't happen. It wasn't until Monday(a day before we were supposed to go home), that my friend and I had to take matters into our own hands, and call our banks ourselves to fix the hotels mistake. Finally, the day we are supposed to leave, I woke up and checked my account, and saw that my money had been returned, as well as my friends. However, since it made me go into the negative by $65, I was $65 short, because it had to cover that money. We spoke with management, and told her we were unhappy with our stay, and how much of an inconvenience this mishap was. Of the 4 nights we stayed there, we only were able to go out 2 of them. The other 2 were spent at the hotel, because we could not afford to go do anything. We weren't able to go parasailing like we hoped, nor buy souvenirs. It was a complete disaster, and while the staff tried to help, they did not seem the least bit concerned about our issue, or the slightest bit apologetic. On the flip side, the hotel itself and the rest of the staff were AMAZING. Our room was breathtaking, the housekeeping service was great, breakfast was great, as well as the tiki bar and pool/hot tub. The only issue with our stay was the extra charges, but unfortunately, while it was only one mistake, it basically ruined the entire trip. I would love to stay here next summer, but I'm not sure I want to take the risk of this happening again. The general Manager, Tana was helpful. After I shared with her that we were highly unsatisfied, and wanted all of our money back, she informed me that she couldn't give me all* my money back(which kind of goes against the 100% satisfaction guarentee, doesn't it?), but she could take 1 night off the bill, and send it back into my account. Then, she offered us an extra free night, which we gladly took. We were able to go out for one more night since we had received our money by that time, which was nice, but didn't make up for the rest of the nights we missed out on. All in all, the hotel itself was great, and if this mistake hadn't have happened, I would proudly reccommend this hotel to everyone, as well as stay here again. However, I never want to be put in a situation where I am 8 hours from home, on vacation, and completely out of money. I would love to stay here next summer for our 2015 vacation, but I am extrememly hesitant. I hope they can get this situation sorted out, and prevent it from happening again to other people.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

5 Thank Brooke R
HamptonOB, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Orange Beach, AL. We appreciate you taking the time to leave such a candid review. I apologize that the mistake on your first night made you feel that your entire trip was ruined. It is our number one priority to create a memorable experience for our guest and I apologize that while we created a memorable experience for you that it was not a positive one. I would like to share that we have found a remedy to the authorizations so that our future guests will not be impacted by this unfortunate situation. We do hope that you and your friend will come back and vacation with us again in 2015.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I apologize to the staff and owners of this hotel for not reviewing it sooner. I meant to send a thank you letter but never got around to it, hopefully this will make up for it.

In January, Lower Alabama and Florida were hit by a cold snap that had never been seen before. During those 3 days, Interstate 10 was shut down as far east as Tallahassee. Any overpasses were shut down. Water lines (exposed on the beach were popping in the single digit weather. Ice covered the streets, parking lots and the beach froze over for the first time on record. People were basically stranded.

This is twice now that I have been in the area during harsh weather, the first was during Hurricane Isaac in 2012. Each time, I ended up staying here. During each stay I watched the staff have a strange reaction in terms of business. Their sole goal was to help. They dropped rates to a fraction of their cost, brought in dinner for people, offered truly crazy late checkouts and were there just to help however they could. Who does that in this day and age?? But during that ice storm in January, the staff was stuck in the hotel with the rest of the small group and they bent over backwards to help. They were truly awesome.

As for the rest of the hotel, it is by far the best Hampton Inn I have ever stayed in and love to go back whenever I get the opportunity. The staff has always been great and they hotel is beyond reproach!

A++

And thank you, for being there when people truly need it!

Room Tip: Get a suite with beach view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for such a kind review. It does not matter when you review your stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Orange Beach, AL. We are just grateful that we are still on your mind. It is our number one goal to make our guest feel comfortable at all times, especially in times of concern such as an ice storm or hurricane. We could not be happier to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you get an opportunity to come back and see us, hopefully your next visit will not be during a natural disaster.

Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed 5 nights. They did not vacuum our room until the last day we were there. We also went 3 days without them refilling the coffee creamer packets and cups. I noticed that there was a corona lid in the hall in front of the ice machine on the second day and it was still there when we left so I don't think they ever swept around the ice machine, its probably still there. I used the ATM on the second day and it never gave me my money and I could see it giving me a receipt but it was stuck in machine. I went to front desk and was told the ATM was out of cash,It would have been nice if there was a sign on ATM letting me know they already knew it was out of cash. They said they would have the owner contact me and get my receipt to me however that never happened. Other than that the beach is very nice and the hotel is fairly new.

Room Tip: We used our WIfi card since the internet service was so poor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Orange Beach, AL. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the beach here. I appreciate you bringing your concerns about housekeeping to our attention. I can assure you that this is not a common practice of ours and it's reviews such as yours that allows us to refocus on things that we may have missed. Again, we appreciate your business and thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Bethel Springs, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Very clean, nice staff. Hotel is right on the beach and also has a pool. Lots of families spending their vacation there. Only downside is no decent restaurants within walking distance' but this isn't the hotel's fault.

Room Tip: Get an Oceanside room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Orange Beach, AL. We are thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be fun and relaxing. Im sorry to hear that you did not find any good restaurants within walking distance, their are several within walking distance and in the future the front desk would be happy to recommend some of our favorites. Again, we appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the near future.