“Not a bad place. fast elevators”

and 1 more site!
Escapes! to the Shores
Houma, Louisiana
“Not a bad place. fast elevators”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My family and I stayed at the 1702 It had a nice view, didn't have to see any neighbors while on the balcony. The elevators although only had 2, was super quick. Wait time was minimal. The pools were nice, but there isn't any one to enforce any rules. people were getting really rowdy. The trash can outside by the beach was always full, and the ice machine was broken. The location is pretty good and I didn't have any issues finding the place. Parking like all big unit places were a tight fit, and always had me worried someone would damage my vehicle. I normally just parked at the top to avoid this. Its more roomy up there. I would stay here again, but probably not in the same unit, wasn't worth the money for the amenities, non-working dryer and cleanliness.

Room Tip: 1702 isn't worth the price. get a room with a balcony.
Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Mr_G_82

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ringgold
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed in a small 1 bedroom at Escapes to the Shores in Orange Beach, Alabama the week of July 25 to August 1, 2014. We found the unit to be comfortable but small. Our complaints were mainly about it having limited space for the kitchen (no dish washer, compact fridge, and no oven - it did have a 2 burner stovetop and a microwave).
The bed was very good and it had 2 flatscreen TVs (in the BR and LR). The washer and dryer are shared in the foyer with another unit but that was no problem. The 2nd bed was in the living room in the form of a Murphy Bed behind the couch.
Overall, we had a great stay and the unit was very good. I would recommend this unit to a couple but not a family. It would be way too small in my opinion.

Room Tip: For family vacations, I would rent the 2 Bedroom and not the 1 bedroom Studio.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RinggoldCoach
Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Overall, we were very pleased with this resort. I would give it a five except for one or two items. It has a great location, the room we had was fairly clean (some stains on carpet and scuff marks on one wall), the staff was great, and there was a free washer and dryer next to us. We only had a couple of problems. In our one bedroom (actually a studio), there was an undersized refrigerator. When we first got there, the fridge was not working...no problem...the desk got maintenance to put in a new one. We had gone to store to buy groceries but unfortunately, the little unit just couldn't keep all of our food cold. We ended up going a buying ice and putting our milk, cheese, sandwich meat, mayo, etc., in cooler. We only put a limited amount of items in the fridge. These little units are not meant to hold a lot of food. The other problem is not really a fault as much as a heads up. They only have studios or 2 bedroom units. The studios have no view at all...none. Not even a window. The 2 bedrooms all have balconies that open to the ocean. We knew that going in about the no balconies, but not that there wasn't even a window. Our exchange company wanted almost $400 to upgrade to the 2 bedroom and I might have paid that had I known we would not have any windows. So overall, I would recommend Escapes, but I would get the 2 bedroom.

Room Tip: Get the 2 bedroom...studios have no windows.
9 Thank dfb1950
Peachtree City, Georgia
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed in unit 903, the view was very nice and the unit itself was a very good size considering this was a beach resort. We have exchanged several times to beach resorts. This was the largest beach resort unit that we have experienced. Every unit faces the ocean; parking is little tight, but that's expected with a beach resort.

All units that end with 03 (there are 18 floors) have to share a washer/dryer with 02 units. It appears that the 02 units is just simple 1 bedroom unit, sort of like what a lock-out would be. This was a hassle; as this added another door we had to unlock in order to get in our unit. The people who had the 02 unit next to us were a bunch of kids who very noisy, and would come in around midnight every night. One day they left all their stuff in the dryer and didn’t bother removing the items after the drying cycle was done. This is a very poor design.

Our master bedroom carpet was nasty, appears that there was no attempts to clean it for several months. There was hair that belongs to someone prior to our visit in hot tub located in the master bedroom. The Wi-Fi that the resort was so proud of didn’t work for our room for the first three days. I complained so much that the front desk gave me a direct number of the company that provided the Wi-Fi; finally got fixed and worked the last four days.

The main area is tile, and that meant every time the people above us would move out a chair, table, stool, or whatever, we heard it as though the people were in the same room as us. The resort really needs to put felt on the bottoms of all the stuff that moves, and that would prevent the noise. We had to put a pillow behind the master bedroom bed headboard, the slightest movement made the headboard bang against the wall.

The pool was clean, and the beach was nice. We watch dolphin come up to the beach every morning to eat. There was good shopping within a few miles, and lots of different activities within a five mile area. All activities at the resort cost money except for the owner breakfast. If you didn’t own, the cost was $3.00 per person.

I would return because of the size of the unit.

Room Tip: Every room faces the ocean. I would avoid any room with an '03. The end rooms would be the bes...
5 Thank Menden1
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is the third time I have stayed at Escapes! over the past four years and I have noticed a significant drop in the quality of the timeshare apartments. It is quite clear that the current management is not keeping the place up. I let management know and their response was that they have lost some of their cleaning crew.

The two bedroom unit that I rented was absolutely filthy when I checked in. There were hairs scattered throughout the bathroom along with used dental floss. I found brightly colored pills from a previous renter among other debris in the carpeting. It was also clear that the shelves of the storage cabinet and entertainment centers had not been dusted in months. The bedspread also had a huge stain on it that appeared to be blood, which the management did change.

The pool area is nice as is the beach. However, the bathrooms near the pool never get attended to. They smell worse than an outhouse and never have any hand towels available. I would expect that the bathrooms would be serviced a few times a day since hundreds of people use them. This is not the case.

Fortunately, I just rent the units and am not an owner. I would be very concerned if I did own as the services and amenities are obviously going down over the years I have been coming here.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have the best view. Try to find one that is XX01.
8 Thank rickmsp
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Very, very nice condo with all the amenities: fantastic pool (inside and outside), hot tub, sauna, steam room, incredible views of the gulf near restaurants and family fun. We've been coming here for many years.

Room Tip: Choose only 2 bedroom and up. The one bedroom do not have windows or view of any kind.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank David C
Chicago
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here for 4 days in mid-May 2014 for the Hangout Music Festival. My wife and I got a 2 bedroom on the 12th floor facing the beach and the unit was HUGE. I believe we took the 2-bedroom because there were no smaller rooms available. It was more money but absolutely giant. 2-bedrooms, 2 baths, a full kitchen, a giant living-room area with a large flatscreen TV. A big balcony with 4 chairs and a table overlooking the beach & Gulf of Mexico. The check-in process was quick and painless. The pool area is nice as well and leads right out to the beach. There is a parking garage and carts to bring luggage or other things up to your room. Remember that it's not a hotel so there is no maid service, bellhops, etc. The complex is along the row of other condo buildings that line the beach (many, many of them) and about 5 miles east of Gulf Shores, 15-20 minutes west of the Flora-Bama bar and maybe 45 minutes west of Pensacola which is where we flew into. A nice spot in a great area that we had never been to before. Thanks to Escape to the Shores for a great weekend.

Room Tip: I can only say that the oceanfront/oceanview rooms have nice views. The rooms that face the interio...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple